Navigation Alternatives
  1. Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation – General discussion forum for 9th Gen Civic

Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation - a website dedicated to all things 9th Gen Civic.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join 9th Gen Civic today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Navigation Alternatives

Greenhorn

Navigation Alternatives

Hello!

The stock nav system and menu system leaves much to be desired.

I'm looking at swapping out the main unit in favor of something that would allow me to install apps like Waze, without losing any of the functionality of the present head unit. I'm thinking an Android based system but am unsure which routes have been tried and tested.

2. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Banned
    I just use something that has a suction cup for the windshield. Works pretty good in conjunction with Google Maps. Simple is sometimes better and much less costly. FWIW.

Truck? What truck?! scottyrocks's Avatar
    Yes, I use Waze on my phone in a home made mount inserted into the CD slot.
    'Three pedals or bust!'
    'Come for the cars. Stay for the people.'
    'Part of having the right to free speech is knowing when to not exercise it.'
    ‘Say what you mean, mean what you say, but don’t say it mean.’
    9th Gen Civic POP Crew #6 Hidden Content
    9th Gen Civic LI Crew#1 Hidden Content

5. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by msaluta View Post
    Hello!

The stock nav system and menu system leaves much to be desired.

I'm looking at swapping out the main unit in favor of something that would allow me to install apps like Waze, without losing any of the functionality of the present head unit. I'm thinking an Android based system but am unsure which routes have been tried and tested.
    If you are referring to a head with Android Auto, you are just mirroring your phone. I agree with the others. Save your money and just use your phone. I prefer a mount on or above the dash. I think it is safer than always looking down at your screen, which includes your current head unit.

Greenhorn
    This is kind of an expensive mod but I've been super happy with the Alpine ILX-107. You get wireless Apple CarPlay and and a 7" screen. The screen isn't amazing but it's pretty good. I combined it with a Maestro device which retains all the i-MID settings and steering wheel controls as well. It feels like it came from the factory made this way and there aren't any weird gotchas or limitations.

My car didn't have factory Nav so I had to purchase an aftermarket dash kit but it was only ~$30-$40.

My next step is turning the little cubby into a wireless charge pad so I can have wireless car play and charging.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)