USB port in center console doesn't charge
  1. Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation – General discussion forum for 9th Gen Civic

Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation - a website dedicated to all things 9th Gen Civic.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join 9th Gen Civic today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: USB port in center console doesn't charge

Greenhorn

USB port in center console doesn't charge

I'd like to use the USB port in the centre console for charging. Right now it doesn't properly charge. My Android phone alternates between charging and not charging every 1 second or so. I tried an iPhone and got it to charge but android phones don't seem to charge. Is there anything I need to do or replace to get it to work?

2. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

have you tried using a different charging cable? it's possible the cable you're using for the android phone might just be worn. If the iPhone get's a good charge then it most likely is not the USB port that's the issue.
    '15 4dr EX cvt MSM
    '15 4dr Accord LX CVT Black

Past cars: '01 4dr EX A/T Silver-sold
    '07 4dr Toyota Camry XLE V6 Silver-totaled

Greenhorn
    I've tried 3 different android phones, 3 different cables, 2 different iPhones, 2 different lightning cables. Yields same result.

5. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Went through this on a Kindle recently. Like all USB, it's got power, but this one is for data (music/JPEG). It doesn't seem to have amperage for charging. My 12 Si has a USB in front of shifter that does charge, or either of the cig lighter charges devices. Think this port is for thumb drives for MP3 music, or uploading picks for the extra mini screen by speedo.
    Last edited by 9thgensifamily; 08-09-2019 at 03:42 AM.
    dpetro1 likes this.

those USB ports are only like 1.0 & 1.5 amp. not really meant to charge much nowadays. if you must charge in the car, i suggest getting an 12V adaptor that has at least a 2.4 amp output on it. similar to this one...

https://www.amazon.com/2019-HUSSELL-...s%2C154&sr=8-7
    hiding from those who might be looking for me

POP Crew #61

2014 Black EX
    20% Global Tint
    Curt 1 1/4" receiver
    Weathertech In-channel visors

Hidden Content

Greenhorn
    Some more specifics: the USB port in the console is limited to 0.5a. That is the USB standard for a "data" port. In order for it to provide any more current, the data lines have to be shorted together (so data cannot be sent through it) or there has to be a network of resistors to indicate the level of current available.

If you REALLY want to have a USB only port that can charge your phones, you will need to install a dedicated one for charge only, which you can connect to the cigarette lighter wires behind the panel.

I think it's interesting that most people on here say the center console USB is not ideal for charging...just because I've always used it for charging my iPhone...I mean I don't use it often, only when Im in desperate need for a charge but today when I left work in at the afternoon I plugged my phone in at around 2% battery and in the 20-25 minutes it took for me to drive to my gf's apartment it charged it up to 25% which I consider to be pretty good for a car USB port
    '15 4dr EX cvt MSM
    '15 4dr Accord LX CVT Black

Past cars: '01 4dr EX A/T Silver-sold
    '07 4dr Toyota Camry XLE V6 Silver-totaled

Quote Originally Posted by ampm1678 View Post
    I think it's interesting that most people on here say the center console USB is not ideal for charging...just because I've always used it for charging my iPhone...I mean I don't use it often, only when Im in desperate need for a charge but today when I left work in at the afternoon I plugged my phone in at around 2% battery and in the 20-25 minutes it took for me to drive to my gf's apartment it charged it up to 25% which I consider to be pretty good for a car USB port
    We say that, cause yes it has power (all USB does), but it's intended for data.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails USB port in center console doesn't charge-15654407370444401615569067567945_1565440752758.jpg  
    Paulcet likes this.

Baned
    Quote Originally Posted by 9thgensifamily View Post
    We say that, cause yes it has power (all USB does), but it's intended for data.
    Pfft. Facts. What are those good for?

Greenhorn
    I have an iPhone 6S that would indicate it was taking a charge from the USB in the center console (2012 Honda Civic), but it never got charged. Someone on this site told me that the voltage wasn't high enough to charge an iPhone. I ended up buying a $16 converter that plugs into the cigarette lighter socket and I've never been happier. The charge can also handle a 110 volt appliance.

Can't speak to Androids. Sorry. Hope this helps nevertheless.
    Ron_2015_Civic likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)