USB flash drive compatibility
  1. Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation – General discussion forum for 9th Gen Civic

Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation - a website dedicated to all things 9th Gen Civic.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join 9th Gen Civic today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: USB flash drive compatibility

Greenhorn

USB flash drive compatibility

I bought a 16GB HP flash drive to use in my 2013 Civic and can only get the "Unsupported" error. I found an old thread about this issue where everyone decided that converting to FAT32 solved any issues, but that's absolutely not the case. I've flashed FAT32 and NTFS, I've done normal and quick formats, I've used diskpart from the command line and I've formatted from the right-click menu in Windows Explorer, absolutely nothing works. Are there any more tips and tricks I can try or is iMid just that broken? If it's the latter, can anyone suggest a 16GB flash drive that definitely will work?

2. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Out of curiosity, is this new USB flash drive a USB 3.0 or 2.0. I have only used 2.0 with my i-MID, so there's a chance it doesn't like 3.0 if that's the case. However, this is mostly speculation, I haven't had any errors on my end, so I have nothing to really go off of. But I'll see if i can find/run in to anything.

Edit: upon further looking, threads are saying 3.0 shouldn't make a difference, which makes perfect sense. However, I personally have had luck using a Sandisk brand flash drive.
    Last edited by Rune; 06-06-2013 at 02:11 PM.
    2013 Honda Civic LX - Traded in for Si

2013 Honda Civic Si HPT
    Crystal Black Pearl
    Mods: HPS Intake Tube | Takeda Dry Filter | FKX Tower Bar | GODSPEED 24mm Rear Sway Bar | Moog End-Links | Blox 490g Shift Knob | Skunk2 Downpipe | Invidia Q300 exhaust
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

Greenhorn
    It's a 2.0, which is particularly annoying because if I can't use it for my car (which looks to be the case) then I'm just stuck with a slow flash drive (most of the PCs I use support 3.0). I've also heard good things about SanDisk, so thanks for seconding them.

5. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

What brand and model of flash drive is failing for you. That way others can avoid it. Also, make sure there is nothing in the root of the drive except for the music folder(s).
    2013 CBP EX-L sedan w/Navi.: K&N Drop In
    53,000 Mi.;Avg MPG:33 city;44 hiway;87 E10;ECON On
    72 mos. old, not a single problem, issue, or recall.
    2017 Milano Red Fit EX-L w/Navi. K&N Drop In
    16,000 M. Avg. MPG 35 City, 45 Hiway 87 E-10 ECON On
    I've gone out to find myself. If I return before I get back, have me wait for me.
    Old Age & Treachery Trumps Youth & Exuberance.

Greenhorn
    USB is USB, the brand will NOT matter. If windows isn't treating you well, I would recommending booting into an ubuntu linux live CD and formatting the drive as FAT32 with gparted.
    2013 Taffeta White SI Coupe

I have several SanDisk cruzers 2.0. All work great, but my patriot memory 3.0 drives do not work. They say unsupported. These drives are fast! Evwn on a 2.0 interface, bit thwu don't work in my '12 Si. :-(

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
    2012 Rallye Red Si Coupe
    Engine Mods:
    Ported RBC IM, J37 ZDX TB & TBS, 3.5" PRL CAI & IM Adapter, Full-Race 3" Catted Downpipe & Exhaust, Hondata FlashPro
    Suspension Mods:
    Eibach Anti-Roll Kit & Pro-Kit Springs
    Other Mods:
    VMS Racing Short Shift Adapter, Hybrid Racing Shifter Base Bushings
    edyno'd at: 226whp, 190wtq - Tuned by VitViper
    Audio Mods: KX400.1 Amp, Kicker CompVT 12" Sub, Kicker DS-65's Speakers & SecondSkin
    For Sale:
    Kicker CompVT 12" Sub, speaker wire for entire system setup

Nooblets
    Download the HP USB/SD format utility. Format with fat 32 . It takes hours on some drives but even drives that seemed like they were lost forever can be rejuvenated with that utility. Works great on the Honda. I had several drives that showed up initially as unsupported and after the HP treatment they all work great.

HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool (free) - Download the latest version in english on Kioskea

Quote Originally Posted by wired247 View Post
    Download the HP USB/SD format utility. Format with fat 32 . It takes hours on some drives but even drives that seemed like they were lost forever can be rejuvenated with that utility. Works great on the Honda. I had several drives that showed up initially as unsupported and after the HP treatment they all work great.

HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool (free) - Download the latest version in english on Kioskea
    Thanks, I will give it a try.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
    2012 Rallye Red Si Coupe
    Engine Mods:
    Ported RBC IM, J37 ZDX TB & TBS, 3.5" PRL CAI & IM Adapter, Full-Race 3" Catted Downpipe & Exhaust, Hondata FlashPro
    Suspension Mods:
    Eibach Anti-Roll Kit & Pro-Kit Springs
    Other Mods:
    VMS Racing Short Shift Adapter, Hybrid Racing Shifter Base Bushings
    edyno'd at: 226whp, 190wtq - Tuned by VitViper
    Audio Mods: KX400.1 Amp, Kicker CompVT 12" Sub, Kicker DS-65's Speakers & SecondSkin
    For Sale:
    Kicker CompVT 12" Sub, speaker wire for entire system setup

didn't work for me on a transcend jetflash 32gb.

Big Timer!!!
    Are you formatting it on a Mac, and copying files from a Mac to it? Because OS X will copy over hidden "dot" files, that it uses for metadata about each file.

So if you copy over Moby Porcelain, you'll get Porcelain.mp3 and ._Porcelain.mp3

The Civic will try and play the ._ files because they end in .mp3, yet they don't contain music, so it reports them as being unsupported.

To see this, insert your memory stick and using the Terminal app, cd /Volumes/{stick name} then do a ls -al

Chip H.
    2004 Lexus GX470
    Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX Sedan (lemon), 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL Pickup, 2000 Honda CR-V EX manual transmission, 1991 Honda Accord EX manual transmission

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)