scottyrocks' PROGRESS thread (Chapter 2 Begins) - Page 28
  1. Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation – General discussion forum for 9th Gen Civic

Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation - a website dedicated to all things 9th Gen Civic.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join 9th Gen Civic today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18262728
Like Tree242Likes

Thread: scottyrocks' PROGRESS thread (Chapter 2 Begins)

Truck? What truck?! scottyrocks's Avatar
    Good luck getting a hair tie to wrap around the steering wheel.
    'Three pedals or bust!'
    'Come for the cars. Stay for the people.'
    'Part of having the right to free speech is knowing when to not exercise it.'
    ‘Say what you mean, mean what you say, but don’t say it mean.’
    9th Gen Civic POP Crew #6 Hidden Content
    9th Gen Civic LI Crew#1 Hidden Content

2. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

I added a few small stickers on the car in the last few months. My daughter's college in the back window, and American flags and '53's on the rear quarters.

I bought out the lease at the end of this past June. The car is now MIIIINE!! hahahahahahaaaaa

Also, during the summer I put new shoes on the car at right around 40k miles. Kumho Ecsta PA31s, one size up - 215/55-16s. Lookin' a little meatier. haha And they do very well in all situations, although not spectacular in any one area.

Right around that time I painted the center caps black, which makes the chrome lug nuts more noticeable. I like that look.

The last thing I did was to white letter the tires. Before anyone starts rolling their eyes, I am a big fan of that look from the '60s and '70s, and have wanted to do it to the original Contis for years. I even tried a few different methods (on the back of the tire) but none of them looked right to me.

What I finally discovered was that white Plastdip works beautifully. Plastidip is a rubberized spray that works perfectly on flexible surfaces such as tires. The coverage is uniform and it stays on the tire.

I masked off about a half inch all around each area I wanted to spray, sprayed everything inside the area, let dry 20 minutes, and then razor-bladed around each letter and rubbed the dip off the tire outside the letters. It came out perfect. The letters are not obnoxiously large and look like they belong there.
    Last edited by scottyrocks; 09-20-2019 at 07:36 AM.
    'Three pedals or bust!'

Quote Originally Posted by scottyrocks View Post
    I added a few small stickers on the car in the last few months. My daughter's college in the back window, and American flags and '53's on the rear quarters.

I bought out the lease at the end of this past June. The car is now MIIIINE!! hahahahahahaaaaa

Also, during the summer I put new shoes on the car at right around 40k miles. Kumho Ecsta PA31s, one size up - 215/55-16s. Lookin' a little meatier. haha And they do very well in all situations, although not spectacular in any one area.

Right around that time I painted the center caps black, which makes the chrome lug nuts more noticeable. I like that look.

The last thing I did was to white letter the tires. Before anyone starts rolling their eyes, I am a big fan of that look from the '60s and '70s, and have wanted to do it to the original Contis for years. I even tried a few different methods (on the back of the tire) but none of them looked right to me.

What I finally discovered was that white Plastdip works beautifully. Plastidip is a rubberized spray that works perfectly on flexible surfaces such as tires. The coverage is uniform and it stays on the tire.

I masked off about a half inch all around each area I wanted to spray, sprayed everything inside the area, let dry 20 minutes, and then razor-bladed around each letter and rubbed the dip off the tire outside the letters. It came out perfect. The letters are not obnoxiously large and look like they belong there.
    We need pictures sir.
    scottyrocks likes this.
    Whenever I'm suffering from Insomnia, I just look at a picture of a Toyota Camry and I'm straight off.
    INSTAGRAM: that_stock_fb6

5. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by bfaided1984 View Post
    We need pictures sir.
    True. I didn't take any when I finished the project and now the car is filthy.

Wait, I may have a test video I can screenshot from.
    'Three pedals or bust!'

Don't matter if it's dirty we'll get the general idea. Heck when me and modrid did our "photoshoot" it was raining and I hadn't washed my car in over a month.
    modrid81 likes this.
    Whenever I'm suffering from Insomnia, I just look at a picture of a Toyota Camry and I'm straight off.

Screen-grab from an in-motion test vid.

scottyrocks' PROGRESS thread (Chapter 2 Begins)-white-letter03_np.jpg
    'Three pedals or bust!'

Screen-grab from an in-motion test vid.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	white letter03_np.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	91.3 KB 
ID:	478205
    Man you need a drop like yesterday. Tires look good and fit your theme.

Quote Originally Posted by bfaided1984 View Post
    Man you need a drop like yesterday. Tires look good and fit your theme.
    Agreed. I want to do the job myself which means not having the car off the road until I have enough time. I work slow so it'll probably be around Christmas before I start.
    'Three pedals or bust!'

I'm a big fan of the white letters. Always thought they looked like the car meant business. Plasti dip makes sense, only other thing I've seen was the special tire markers some website sells.
    scottyrocks likes this.

Agreed. I want to do the job myself which means not having the car off the road until I have enough time. I work slow so it'll probably be around Christmas before I start.
    It doesn't take that long to do the suspension on these.
    Metallicsi likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18262728

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)