Rear diffuser on 14 SI coupe - Page 2
  1. Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation – General discussion forum for 9th Gen Civic

Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation - a website dedicated to all things 9th Gen Civic.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join 9th Gen Civic today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rear diffuser on 14 SI coupe

Lpc
    What exactly made you decide upon the rear diffuser, verses, say, a front splitter or bumper canards? Are you building this from the ground up based on preliminary aerodynamic knowledge? Or, are you merely going to make a modified, more aggressive version of our stock diffuser i.e. larger strakes, etc. (I couldn't quite determine what you're going for from your previous posts, so I apologize if it seemed obvious)?

You definitely seem serious about the functionality over aesthetics. Are you basically going to fab some cardboard (or whatever material) prototypes up essentially out of nothing? Or, if it's possible, will you be working with CAD software to develop digital models and possibly even perform some flow simulations with those prototypes before making tangible models?

Also, how, exactly, do you plan on going about testing the functionality of your designs verses each other and verses the OEM unit? Wind tunnel? Time slips? The tried and not-so-true butt-dyno?

It would be one thing if you were designing your own diffuser mostly for aesthetics, but, since you're aiming for function over form, I'm very curious to see how you go about the entire design process and how the project evolves from its current phase to the final design. I've always wanted to undertake an R&D project like this for my car, but have always felt like I don't have enough money or available resources or knowledge to truly craft something uniquely functional. Hopefully, with more time and experience in the engineering field, that'll change in the future.

Good luck in your endeavor and keep us posted!
    2014 Si Coupe
    PLM Downpipe, Full Race 3" exhaust, Hasport U88A RMM, PRL CAI (gold wrapped)
    Acuity short shifter + cable busings, HR base bushings, HR CMC EM1, CDV delete, MTEC race spring
    FKX Racing X-brace + trunk brace, SiriMoto strut bar, Ingalls front camber bolts, SPC 3* rear camber arms
    GRFXP steering wheel emblem, Blox type-r shift knob, Yospeed "Si" cupholder cover, "Si" passenger side dashboard emblem
    LLumar CTX 30% tints, DRL fuse delete

2. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

@Lpc Thanks. <br>I went with a rear diffuser because I saw the stocl one on the SI coupe and thought it could be made to be more functional. Looking at some of the "super cars" out there almost all have integrated diffusers of some sort. Once I realized that the coupe si has one, then I remembered we have some bottom shrouds to help with aerodynamics. It's a match made in heaven. :P Not the the Si is a super car but having those components already there, I think I could create a look that is reminiscent of a super car. As for a front splitter, I do have plans to make one along with the diffuser.
    I wish I was better versed in CAD and flow sims. I love to try that first but "I is not so smart". Really once you boil it down even if it doesn't work it'll still look cool. Lol&nbsp;I am planning on doing a "Tuff Test" stock diffuser and one with the new piece. From some of the videos i've seen of other after market diffusers the lack of airflow along the bumper is a sign of the diffuser working.
    And I'm just a moron who thinks he can understand basic aerodynamics from youtube videos. I will keep everyone posted here in this thread. I hope to come up with something functional but if not truly unique. Wish me luck!

Well I finally had a chance to poke around on the rear bumper. (pun intended. LOL) While I love the idea and think it would look Bad Azz, I feel it's too much of an ambitious project. I don't have the expertise to accomplish the idea. I'm going to focus on other things with the car. Maybe some day.

5. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Greenhorn
    Where did you find the si diffuser? I'm trying to do the same thing to my 2014 EX coupe. But I can't seem to find any sites that sell the stock diffuser besides the dealer

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)