Newbie...How to "detail, wax, etc" after winter/during winter
  1. Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation – General discussion forum for 9th Gen Civic

Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation - a website dedicated to all things 9th Gen Civic.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join 9th Gen Civic today!

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By MeNeedHelp
  • 1 Post By MeNeedHelp
  • 1 Post By Trueant1

Thread: Newbie...How to "detail, wax, etc" after winter/during winter

Newbie...How to "detail, wax, etc" after winter/during winter

hi all,
    I am new so I have some really basic questions. I currently own a 2012 taffeta white civic. It isn't driven often.. maybe twice a week... and it is parked outdoors. I only wash it once a month... (I live in an apartment).

It was washed recently and had to go through the touch-less wash "twice".. i had to use 5 microfiber cloths to wipe off the "stubborn winter yellow grime" near the bottom panels of the doors....
    Since it is winter and -10 or so... it is too cold to use wax products etc...

should I wait until spring?

I am new to this so should i do the following on an odd warm day during winter:

1) wash car
    2) microfiber dry it
    3) claybar + detailer
    4) rubbing compound on any scuffs
    5) ??
    6) wax

Where does the polish/sealent step go?

And what products do you guys recommend? I have some meguiars UQW laying around...

thanks a ton
    Digger likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Jesstzn where you at!?

Ontario canada =)
    Digger likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Welcome to 9th, MeNeedHelp!!

Hidden Content
    '12 TW EX SEDAN

Click on Following Links for Help:
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Car Care Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by MeNeedHelp View Post
    hi all,
    I am new so I have some really basic questions. I currently own a 2012 taffeta white civic. It isn't driven often.. maybe twice a week... and it is parked outdoors. I only wash it once a month... (I live in an apartment).

It was washed recently and had to go through the touch-less wash "twice".. i had to use 5 microfiber cloths to wipe off the "stubborn winter yellow grime" near the bottom panels of the doors.... Doing this your marring the paint .. unless you can wash with a proper mitt and a pail of soapy water your basically wet sanding the car.
    Since it is winter and -10 or so... it is too cold to use wax products etc...

should I wait until spring? Yes

I am new to this so should i do the following on an odd warm day during winter:

1) wash car Take a pail of hot water and your own car wash mixed in it and use the spray rinse wand to get all the crud you can off the car. Then quickly wash the car with your stuff and then use the rinse wand to get off the soap.
    2) microfiber dry it Don't bother in the winter because the rinsing isn't great and you could be rubbing grit into the paint. I just dry the windows.
    3) claybar + detailer Wait till spring
    4) rubbing compound on any scuffs Wait till spring BUT then come back and ask for the proper technique .. there are many compounds and some will get you in trouble.
    5) ??
    6) wax

Where does the polish/sealent step go? Polish & sealant are 2 different things .. Polish is used to correct issues in the paint .... sealant does the same job as a wax ... just that sealants last a lot longer.

And what products do you guys recommend? I have some meguiars UQW laying around... Don't know what that is.

thanks a ton

See bold .. As for a sealant I recommend Duragloss #105 and you will prolly have to order it on line .. I think eshine carries it.

H2O in hydrant - K9P out Paul99to17's Avatar
    Welcome. Check out the Forum section and there is a section about cleaning/waxing etc. When Jesstzn says something we all listen so keep your eye open for his posts in that section. I ordered Duragloss, as J suggested, and am very happy with it......it lasts and lasts and lasts......which means less work for me.
    Dyno Blue Pearl FB2
    Hidden Content

Welcome to the 9th
    '12 Si Coupe

Welcome to the 9th!

I too have taffy white, am complete newb to waxing/washing. Have always used auto car washes for years! Results=swirls.

From what I gather, Jesstzn is the best.

Another thing most are saying to to use a good machine polisher. Most are saying a Porter cable.
    Between Jesstzn and a website called Autogeeks, I am learning a lot, and will decide what my cleaning/polising/wax products I will use.
    Let my know what you used. Hope it warms up soon, so you can detail your taffy white complete!
    Last edited by Trueant1; 01-17-2013 at 09:15 AM.
    Digger likes this.
    2012 White FB6. Hidden Content . Engin CAI. Full Race exhaust. DD audio sub and amp. Pioneer double din head unit. Eiback Sportline springs. Eiback front and rear sways. Lumins 6000 hid lights 3000 fogs .Mugen style window visors. Red Honda oil cap.Dash/engine/valve covers HYDRODIPED Red/blackMugen style front lip. Many LED upgrades. Many "small" upgrades.

Listen to Jezz!! In the winter I just take my car to a touch-less car wash. It pains me to pay so much for a shitty wash that never gets rid of road grime. But it's better than nothing. I clay and use a sealant in the fall just before winter and so far it's holding up, still shiny and beads water.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
    Happy in my own head Hidden Content
    2012 Civic EX 4-dr TFW

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)