DIY: Thermostat Replacement
  1. Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation – General discussion forum for 9th Gen Civic

Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation - a website dedicated to all things 9th Gen Civic.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join 9th Gen Civic today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: DIY: Thermostat Replacement

Big Timer!!!

DIY: Thermostat Replacement

Here's how to replace the thermostat on the 1.8L civics.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHHH8wEIM-4
    DIYs & Automotive Content: Hidden Content

2. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Great video! For some reason YouTube wouldn't let me comment on it. Where do you dispose of old coolant? The auto parts stores won't take it around here.
    R18 Crew Member #53
    2018 Pilot EX AWD SSM (wife's)
    2013 CRV EX PMM (mine)
    2014 FB2 LX ASM (sold)
    2001 Acura Integra GSR (sold)
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Big Timer!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coastie05 View Post
    Great video! For some reason YouTube wouldn't let me comment on it. Where do you dispose of old coolant? The auto parts stores won't take it around here.
    Weird. Comments are not disabled...

Some stores don't take coolant, some stores don't take any fluids, some stores will happily take everything. Call around and ask.

5. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Greenhorn
    Thanks for the video! I have a 2015 SI and can't seem to get the system bled enough for the new thermostat to open. Car running, heater on, funnel just like you had, squeezed the lines to get the air out about 10 times. Ideas? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AnalogTime View Post
    Thanks for the video! I have a 2015 SI and can't seem to get the system bled enough for the new thermostat to open. Car running, heater on, funnel just like you had, squeezed the lines to get the air out about 10 times. Ideas? Thanks
    I seen a video once where they keep the front of the car jacked up, to aid in the bubbles going towards the fill point. I've not done it this way intentionally in the past, but next time I will. Let us know how it goes.

How long did you let the car run? When it's cold out it can take a long time for the car to get up to temp at idle.
    You can give it some light throttle to get the temp up a little quicker.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Big Timer!!!
    It can take a while for the thermostat to open, especially with the heater on and hood opened.
    Get a scantool and watch the coolant temp, once it reaches 188-190 degrees and no more bubbles, you're done bleeding.

Big Timer!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by 9thgensifamily View Post
    I seen a video once where they keep the front of the car jacked up, to aid in the bubbles going towards the fill point. I've not done it this way intentionally in the past, but next time I will. Let us know how it goes.
    I recommend doing that if possible, helps with bleeding.

Another option for those having issues bleeding is to get a vacuum bleeder kit. Basically you pull a vacuum on the whole system, then let coolant in. There are tons of places making them, just check Amazon for reviews/etc, but pretty much any of them will work if you have an air compressor. I wouldn't go back to the old way after doing it this way.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)