Rocking in 1st Gear
  1. Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation – General discussion forum for 9th Gen Civic

Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation - a website dedicated to all things 9th Gen Civic.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join 9th Gen Civic today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Rocking in 1st Gear

Rocking in 1st Gear

Hey guys,
    I got another question.

I'm travelling just a little above 20km/hr around 3 - 3.5k RPM in first gear. I'm not shifting up because i have to slow down soon.
    If I let go of gas at this point, the car rocks alot. It's like I made a bad shift.

I know there's some engine breaking involved, but is this normal?

Thanks,

2. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by SnowShow View Post
    Hey guys,
    I got another question.

I'm travelling just a little above 20km/hr around 3 - 3.5k RPM in first gear. I'm not shifting up because i have to slow down soon.
    If I let go of gas at this point, the car rocks alot. It's like I made a bad shift.

I know there's some engine breaking involved, but is this normal?

Thanks,
    It's "normal" to our cars but it shouldnt be so rocky, it happens to me on 1st and 2nd gears when in traffic. Usually gotta press the clutch in for it to be smooth.

I have heard flashpro cures this
    SnowShow likes this.
    2012 SOP Si Coupe

What you're feeling is engine braking and it is pretty noticeable in the Si, especially in 1st and 2nd gears. If you are creeping and need to slow down and re-apply gas, press clutch and rev-match if necessary. Makes low-speed driving much smoother.
    Spectrum and SnowShow like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by sienthusiast View Post
    It's "normal" to our cars but it shouldnt be so rocky, it happens to me on 1st and 2nd gears when in traffic. Usually gotta press the clutch in for it to be smooth.

I have heard flashpro cures this
    Mine seems worse since I got flashpro,but I'm just running the reflash map.Once I get a legit tune maybe it will be smoother but not sure.

Yeah it's really noticeable and wasn't sure what I should be doing.
    Thanks helping me out guys!

A throttle body spacer will reduce this. Felt a difference after I installed mine.

Sent from my SCH-R720 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rocking in 1st Gear-uploadfromtaptalk1360194245593.jpg  
    SnowShow likes this.

Truck? What truck?! scottyrocks's Avatar
    On and off the gas in first gear without pressing the clutch causes a lot of rocking, even for more experienced drivers. If you're in stop-and-go traffic, push the clutch if you have to let off the gas in 1st.
    SnowShow likes this.
    'Three pedals or bust!'
    'Come for the cars. Stay for the people.'
    'Part of having the right to free speech is knowing when to not exercise it.'
    ‘Say what you mean, mean what you say, but don’t say it mean.’
    9th Gen Civic POP Crew #6 Hidden Content
    9th Gen Civic LI Crew#1 Hidden Content

Nooblets
    I would guess this is play in the drive train as your engine goes from pushing the car forward to slowing it down? Don't have the civic yet but it is very noticeable on my truck. Probably pretty normal.
    SnowShow likes this.

Super Mod's Pet Millions-Knives's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by corey99699 View Post
    Mine seems worse since I got flashpro,but I'm just running the reflash map.Once I get a legit tune maybe it will be smoother but not sure.
    I was playing around with this myself. Check the fuel cut off timing in 1st gear... this did reduce the over-rev in everyday driving but if I was moving slowly in 1st around a parking lot... boy did it jerk when you let off the gas without the clutch or depressing not soon or immediately after letting off the gas.
    SnowShow likes this.
    2012 Civic Sedan Si CBP
    CT-Engineering's Supercharger 3.15" Pulley- 1000cc DW EV14 injectors
    Aftercooled by IMT (Innovative Motorsports Technologies) .25" Phenolic Spacer
    Gates Blue Racing Micro-V belt

Borla 2.5" Catback System
    RV6 Performance 2.5" Catted Downpipe
    AEM CAI
    Hondata FlashPro

If you're driving in first in traffic and trying to keep a constant speed, shift to a higher gear. It'll lower your rpm letting your engine work less, more mpg, very small amount. Usually with the case of the first gear rocking, that's because the first gears ratio is smaller than the rest, so the first gear is more sensitive to changes in speed. After a year of driving stick, what i suggest you do is push on the clutch as you let go off gas, but synchronize it. Just think of it the opposite of synchronizing when you're pushing gas and letting go off your clutch. Rev match to accelerate again. Know your sweet spot! It'll get rid of your rocking

Sent from my GS3.
    "I rather loose by a mile in a car I built myself rather than win by a foot in a car someone else built for me." - Moog
    SnowShow likes this.
    Check my post out about Coilover installations:
    Hidden Content

If your'e interested in retrofitting your headlights, take a look at :
    Hidden Content

My own headlight retrofit build filled with pictures ~!
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)