Whining Noise When Decelerating
  1. Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation – General discussion forum for 9th Gen Civic

Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation - a website dedicated to all things 9th Gen Civic.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join 9th Gen Civic today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whining Noise When Decelerating

Whining Noise When Decelerating

Need some help. My 2012 Civic Si has an annoying whining sound when decelerating. When the car is around 35 mph, I put it in neutral and it whines as it stops. The noise sounds like the noise when your going in reverse. It has never done this before.

2. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Any with the same issues

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

I've never had this issue. Your best bet would be to go to the dealer and let them diagnose them and fix it. You're still under warranty so you might as well take advantage of it while you can.

How long has this been going on btw?
    K24Z7 Crew Member #195

2012 Si Coupe - Crystal Black Pearl - R.I.P.

2014 Si Coupe - Rallye Red

5. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

My first 2012 Si (earlier VIN) had this weird "winding up" sound from under the hood when accelerating. It sounded like the noise an airplane makes when its starting its take off - thats the best way I can describe it.

My second 2012 Si (mid VIN) never had that noise.

Not sure what the deal is with that It sounds like you have the opposite issue, where it does it when it decelerates Not sure if it's indicative of a problem or just a weird quirk. Maybe go test drive another on the lot - should be pretty easy to have the dealer replicate that if the other vehicle doesn't do it.

Whenever the Honda dealership says they can't hear or replicate something, I demand to test drive another similar model on the lot. Usually does the trick, after the drawn out process of pushing back at them for saying "Well, every car is different..."

Bullshit. Fix the problem.

One Bad Mama Jama!!!
    I have that noise. I notice it when I'm on the highway. Whenever I let go of the throttle it does it until it reaches a certain speed. I think its normal. Its coming out of the engine bay. Next time I go in for a oil change I will ask. Another nosie I have is sometimes I will will hear a pop like metal makes when its cooling down. Anyone hear that before?

Actually my 13 civic sedan has a similar sound. But my heart stops because it sounds like a police siren and i notice it when i shift to a lower gear and slow down

One Bad Mama Jama!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pintech503 View Post
    Actually my 13 civic sedan has a similar sound. But my heart stops because it sounds like a police siren and i notice it when i shift to a lower gear and slow down

Me too lol

Quote Originally Posted by Paletero_Man View Post
    Me too lol
    I guess if you have that then i guess its supposed to be like that

Every one thanks for your input. Going to the dealership tomorrow. I was told it could be a transmission issue my mt fluid checks fine. I had a friend who has a 11 si he said he had a some what same issue and when they opened his tranny he had some stripped gears. The dealer fixed it and sent him on his way

It seems that's how these civics are made cause i have that as well my wife told me what was that noise i'm leaning towards the exhaust manifold maybe mid exhaust section from what i can hear . there is no problems with the performance so it doesn't bother me .

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)