2012 SI AC Pulley Size
  1. Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation – General discussion forum for 9th Gen Civic

Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation - a website dedicated to all things 9th Gen Civic.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join 9th Gen Civic today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2012 SI AC Pulley Size

Greenhorn

2012 SI AC Pulley Size

Everyone! I've gone through some threads and others who posted about AC issues but couldn't find anything that helped me answer my issue. I recently took my SI to my mechanic to replace my AC but both compressors we have tried have been smaller pulleys compared to the original. Even Honda's part numbers come back to local auto stores as these compressors. The thought is to just put a different belt on it at this point. Has anyone ran into this issue? Thoughts from those who have a better insight into this would be greatly appreciated!

2012 Civic Si 4 Door

2. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by InfinityZeke View Post
    Everyone! I've gone through some threads and others who posted about AC issues but couldn't find anything that helped me answer my issue. I recently took my SI to my mechanic to replace my AC but both compressors we have tried have been smaller pulleys compared to the original. Even Honda's part numbers come back to local auto stores as these compressors. The thought is to just put a different belt on it at this point. Has anyone ran into this issue? Thoughts from those who have a better insight into this would be greatly appreciated!

2012 Civic Si 4 Door
    We are a model year change as we are 12s, and that means we are odd balls for headlights, bumpers, exhaust, navigation (the glorious volume knob!!!), and possibly a pulley on a ac compressor. I've had luck previously with giving certain limited info and getting helpful responses (in other cut-throat markets). Such as calling the dealership service, saying "I ordered a a/c compressor and the pulley diameter is different, do you know why that may be? Is it ok to use?". Call a few dealerships, and you could run into one that fought this already.

You can also for fun see if this belt part number is different for a different model year.

I really hope someone has ran into on the site, and you don't have to do the above. To help others please post whatever you fix is, you'll save a few people's headaches by sharing this info.

Quote Originally Posted by InfinityZeke View Post

2012 Civic Si 4 Door
    Only thing I am finding about the pulley size says 118mm diameter, 33mm width. Can you take measurements of each and compare?
    Can you swap the oe pulley to the new compressor?
    Otherwise a new belt should do the trick. Just be sure to check that the auto tensioner is aligned properly.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

5. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Greenhorn
    Awesome. Both had great info so I appreciate it. I've received a lot of confused employees at stores who are looking at everything and don't know why they are different. I believe the clutch is also going bad from talking to the mech. I did try my local Honda who couldn't explain why they were different pulleys but offered me a complete kit from Georgia for $800. I'm going to take the car back from the mech and tinker with it myself. I've got the same response about the new belt and to make sure the ribs are the same as well as the tensioner.

9thgen - I have also noticed having trouble with the interior cosmetics.

Thanks guys. If I get this solved, I'll make sure I reply back!

Greenhorn
    Can I ask why you are changing your AC? What was broken? Was there any weird noises prior to? I’m trying to figure out an AC related noise that I couldn’t find an answer and mechanic couldn’t hear it when I brought the car in cause that day was too cold

Greenhorn
    All I know from experience is to always go with the factory Honda Compressor period. Save yourself the headaches, just pay the cash. If your doing the work what's your time worth? Your friend or buddy doing the job? They are not going to be happy doing this job 2 or 3 times. I've heard it all. It was a manufacturing defect, one O-ring inside was missing, assembly was misaligned, part failure, missing this or missing that! Oh yea, the compressor is warrantied but is that guy behind the counter at the discount parts store going to remove it throw in more compressor oil for free & re-install? I doubt it.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)