B13 code from the Maintenance Minder
  1. Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation – General discussion forum for 9th Gen Civic

Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation - a website dedicated to all things 9th Gen Civic.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join 9th Gen Civic today!

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jamis

Thread: B13 code from the Maintenance Minder

B13 code from the Maintenance Minder

Black Betty just turned 54K miles and the MM popped a B13 code on the iMID. I know what the codes mean, but this is the first "3" that's been displayed. I've been waiting for the MM to call for a transmission fluid change, but does Honda mean a total flush, or just a drain and fill? If it's a D&F, how much fluid it needed? I do my own oil/filter changes, and will do the trans-axle also if it's just a D&F. I've done the D&F on all of my prior cars with no issues.
    2013 CBP EX-L sedan w/Navi.: K&N Drop In
    54,000 Mi.;Avg MPG:33 city;44 hiway;87 E10;ECON On
    79 mos. old, not a single problem, issue, or recall.
    2017 Milano Red Fit EX-L w/Navi. K&N Drop In
    17,000 M. Avg. MPG 35 City, 45 Hiway 87 E-10 ECON On
    I've gone out to find myself. If I return before I get back, have me wait for me.
    Old Age & Treachery Trumps Youth & Exuberance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

General consensus is that you never flush a transmission. Drain and fill only.
    2 quarts of Honda mtf. The service manual says that you must have the car level and fill it until fluid runs out.
    There are some good faq on this site or you can use this link

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Jamis View Post
    Black Betty just turned 54K miles and the MM popped a B13 code on the iMID. I know what the codes mean, but this is the first "3" that's been displayed. I've been waiting for the MM to call for a transmission fluid change, but does Honda mean a total flush, or just a drain and fill? If it's a D&F, how much fluid it needed? I do my own oil/filter changes, and will do the trans-axle also if it's just a D&F. I've done the D&F on all of my prior cars with no issues.
    Just drain and refill.
    Assuming your car has a "Honda standard" automatic transmission, (not CVT), use the proper fluid.

B13 code from the Maintenance Minder-capture.jpg

B13 code from the Maintenance Minder-capture.jpg
    Go here: Hidden Content
    Because misinformation is far worse; than NO information...

5. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Whoops, that's what I get for assuming...looks like the OP has an ex which I assume is auto.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Thanks. It's a regular old 5 speed automatic. I think 3 quarts of Honda ATF DW1 will get me done. Just gotta check and see if my transmission funnel fits into the dipstick tube and that I have the proper sized crush washer.

And here's the thread I originally started 5 years ago on this subject and forgot about. My bad.

https://www.9thgencivic.com/forum/ge...id-change.html
    Last edited by Jamis; 06-10-2019 at 06:25 PM. Reason: added link
    Teeps likes this.
    I've gone out to find myself. If I return before I get back, have me wait for me.

Sorry for the delay in updating this thread. I did the B13 service a couple of weeks ago. As almost everyone warned, the transaxle drain plug was a booger to remove. It took a 48 oz. hammer whacking on a breaker bar to loosen the plug. Anyway, 2 1/2 quarts out/in and everything works better. Got so wrapped up with the ATF change, I almost forgot to wash/oil the K&N air filter. Walked into the nearby AutoZone with two Mobil1 5 qt. jugs full of drain oil. The kid at the counter asked me what I needed. I told him the stuff didn't work like I expected and wanted an exchange. He got this "slapped by a 2x4" look on his face and turned towards the other clerk. I quickly told him I was kidding and asked if they could recycle it.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)