Engine Oil Dilution?
  1. Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation – General discussion forum for 9th Gen Civic

Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation - a website dedicated to all things 9th Gen Civic.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join 9th Gen Civic today!

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By pilot

Thread: Engine Oil Dilution?

Greenhorn

Engine Oil Dilution?

I changed the oil on my 2014 civic lx sedan and as soon as the drain bolt was off I immediately smelled gas. I have never noticed this on this car. I also measured the oil removed and it measured about half a quart low. The car has never burned oil before. I live in FL and car has 44000 miles. When i changed the oil out and it was halfway up the dipstick. Drove 40 miles and checked the oil level and it was 3/4 up the dipstick and already smelled like gas. Each time I checked the level 3 minutes after shutting the car off. Any ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

How does the car feel on a cold start? Is it hesitant or rough when starting? What about when driving around? Rough idle or anything out of the ordinary?
    Follw me on IG: fl_fg4

205 whp
    174 wtq
    Tuned by John Vega at Phearable

Greenhorn
    Starts and runs fine

5. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Nooblets
    You may want to have you injectors checked in case one of them is stuck on, although it would have probably triggered a CEL.
    You can also send an oil sample to a lab and see what they have to say.
    The R18 engine is not direct injected so it’s highly unlikely that fuel passes by the piston rings during normal use.
    Also 25% up on the dipstick in only 40 miles sounds excessive. However you’re saying that before changing the oil, it was actually low,( the opposite than after changing it)?
    Ron_2015_Civic likes this.

Greenhorn
    Quote Originally Posted by pilot View Post
    You may want to have you injectors checked in case one of them is stuck on, although it would have probably triggered a CEL.
    You can also send an oil sample to a lab and see what they have to say.
    The R18 engine is not direct injected so it’s highly unlikely that fuel passes by the piston rings during normal use.
    Also 25% up on the dipstick in only 40 miles sounds excessive. However you’re saying that before changing the oil, it was actually low,( the opposite than after changing it)?
    Yes, exactly. That is why I am a bit confused as well. I was also curious about an injector being stuck open, however, I am having trouble figuring out how to test the line pressure to see if it drops right after I turn the car off. I can't figure out where/how to remove the line to add in the pressure tester.

Nooblets
    I can’t help you there. I believe there are shops that can remove and test the injectors individually, and clean them if necessary.
    But honestly without even a pending error on the obd scanner it’s unlikely there is a problem. How’s your fuel economy? Is there any smoke coming out of the tailpipe?

Truck? What truck?! scottyrocks's Avatar
    An easy way to check for a too-rich fuel mixture is to pull a spark plug and examine it. Black means too rich. Too rich could be caused by the aforementioned stuck-open injector, or a bad sensor. If your injectors check out okay, it could be a leaky seal or gasket.

White means too lean. Properly tuned engines should show plugs that are a tannish gray, or grayish tan, whichever you prefer.

This procedure used to be more necessary in the days of carburetors, as tuning involved replacing jets, driving the car, and then reading plugs for color.
    Last edited by scottyrocks; 09-19-2019 at 09:47 AM.
    'Three pedals or bust!'
    'Come for the cars. Stay for the people.'
    'Part of having the right to free speech is knowing when to not exercise it.'
    ‘Say what you mean, mean what you say, but don’t say it mean.’
    9th Gen Civic POP Crew #6 Hidden Content
    9th Gen Civic LI Crew#1 Hidden Content

Without an oil analysis, you are really just guessing. Usually with high fuel dilution, you will drain out MORE oil than goes in.
    The fuel overfills the crankcase.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Greenhorn
    Fuel economy seems ok. Maybe a bit low. No smoke.

Greenhorn
    Quote Originally Posted by scottyrocks View Post
    An easy way to check for a too-rich fuel mixture is to pull a spark plug and examine it. Black means too rich. Too rich could be caused by the aforementioned stuck-open injector, or a bad sensor. If your injectors check out okay, it could be a leaky seal or gasket.

White means too lean. Properly tuned engines should show plugs that are a tannish gray, or grayish tan, whichever you prefer.

This procedure used to be more necessary in the days of carburetors, as tuning involved replacing jets, driving the car, and then reading plugs for color.
    Plugs all look good.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)