Sudden high rpm. Transmission problem?
  1. Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation – General discussion forum for 9th Gen Civic

Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation - a website dedicated to all things 9th Gen Civic.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join 9th Gen Civic today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Sudden high rpm. Transmission problem?

Sudden high rpm. Transmission problem?

Hi,
    I drive Civic LX coupe with 1300 miles on it. I was driving on a flat highway and accelerating from ~ 60 to 65 mph when revs went up to 3500 and stayed like that for quite a while. Neither removing foot from gas pedal nor braking helped to bring revs down. I had to stop, turn engine off, then turn it back on. This happened couple of times in the past 2 months. Does anyone have any ideas why this would happen? I asked mechanics at the dealership to check that but they couldn't find anything wrong with the car.
    Thanks!
    Digger likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Big Timer!!!
    I suggest you file a complaint with NHTSA, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration in Washington. This could be a serious safety issue. If it receives several complaints of the same issue (probably related to Honda's new throttle-by-wire system) it will initiate an investigation.

File a Safety Complaint | Safercar.gov | NHTSA
    Digger likes this.

When I pushed the brake pedal car did slow down and finally stopped, but rpms stayed high..
    Digger likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Digger likes this.
    2012 Civic LX sedan w/ MT
    R18Crew Member#437
    Ambient Lighting (X) | Si Grille (X) | LED Sills () | Replace Drums & wheels () | Sound Upgrade () | Custom Exhaust ()

"
    Driving with econ mode on is like having sex with a condom. Sure it might have its benefits, but it sure as hell feels a whole lot crappier." -Sodo

Hidden Content

same thing happened too me about 2 months ago on a long road trip !!!!! i was think to myself all confused what could it be but i cruised this way for a while to see if it would go away and slowly it passed and came back that day.... but since then it hasent happened again ! i dont know what it was but whatever it was i hope it doesn't happen again .....
    Digger likes this.

this happened to me as well on a road trip a few months ago. it got me so annoyed with the car that i pulled over on the side of the highway, put the car in park and drove off again. it then happened again but i just lived with it for a few miles and it started to drive normally....it hasnt happened to me since...but thats probably because i havent taken the car out on a trip that long for a quite some time now.
    Digger likes this.
    2012 Honda Civic EX Hidden Content
    Crystal Black Pearl

My take - this isn't a transmission issue but likely due to over aggressive ECU tuning to minimize emissions. All of us Si owners know of the rev hang ie. the engine still keeps going/revs up even after we clutch in. Sounds like the same sort of behavior is happening to ensure all the unburned fuel gets burned off... but in an automatic, the transmission remains connected for quite a while when you lift off the throttle or brake. So its all related to the electronic throttle and the system aggressively attempting to burn fuel for cleaner emissions.

All this lunacy with green is going to kill Honda sooner or later.
    natalia200382 and Digger like this.

SebSmith:
    No, not really.. It wasn't accelerating, just high rpms. The car did slow down keeping rpms high.
    Digger likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hondaguyslover18 View Post
    same thing happened too me about 2 months ago on a long road trip !!!!! i was think to myself all confused what could it be but i cruised this way for a while to see if it would go away and slowly it passed and came back that day.... but since then it hasent happened again ! i dont know what it was but whatever it was i hope it doesn't happen again .....
    Yeah, it doesn't happen often, only once a month or so. I brought my civic to the dealership yesterday, they test drove it and looked at the computer for any error codes but couldn't find anything wrong with it. Just told me to monitor it and come back if this happens again.
    Digger likes this.

So the engine stayed at 3500rpm's even when you brought the car to a complete stop and put it in park?? I've had the rpm's jump when going downhill as part of Honda's grade logic control, but it always returned to normal when the terrain levelled out.
    Digger likes this.
    2012 Civic EX Sedan (Dyno Blue Pearl)
    My Fuelly - Hidden Content

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)