Is the Manual Transmission Civic dying?
  1. Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation – General discussion forum for 9th Gen Civic

Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation - a website dedicated to all things 9th Gen Civic.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join 9th Gen Civic today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Is the Manual Transmission Civic dying?

Big Timer!!!

Is the Manual Transmission Civic dying?

According to the Civics listed for sale on the database, Cars.com, only 2.5% or 1 in 40 is available with a manual transmission. That's a really low number, even lower than the 3.3% rate reported for all cars sold in the US.
    Makes me wonder if the next Civic will have a manual transmission option at all?

2. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Big Timer!!!
    I wanted a 4 door non Si Civic and the LX is as high it goes. I would have preferred a 4 door EX but it is not offered in a MT. Of course it should have a 6th gear overdrive but then the mileage may be too good. Also the dealers in my area don't seem to carry MTs. I laughed when the guy told me he only had AT CRZs. People just want something that looks good.

I hope not, I only drive MT's
    cghorr01 and Tom's Si like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

The reason I went with the Si again after my first two problematic bouts with Honda is because they are dn near the boy sub-$25K coupe besides the tC and the Mustang that offers a stick on anything above barebone trim levels. The second you graduate to a car with upper options, they no longer offer it. On another note, the new tC's spoiler is how the Si should've been.

In Canada we're able to order the EX with manual. But we can't order an EX with premium sound or navigation. Odd, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Flipz View Post
    I hope not, I only drive MT's
    Me and you both.
    2012 CBP EX Coupe - 5 speed

Quote Originally Posted by P2aul View Post
    In Canada we're able to order the EX with manual. But we can't order an EX with premium sound or navigation. Odd, huh?
    We can order DX, LX or EX with manual, and Si obviously... The EX-L is available here too, but not in manual which is the same in the US.
    2012 CBP EX Coupe - 5 speed

Big Timer!!!
    10 years ago, manuals always bested automatics in gas mileage. But EPA figures on the newest cars show intelligent automatic transmissions beating manuals on mpg. However in real world driving conditions, a conservative MT driver who under normal conditions shifts at 2,500 - 3,000 rpm will beat an automatic's MPG.

The problem is as new generations come along who have driven only automatics, less and less people will be able to teach their kids how to drive a stick. That will kill the market, if automakers don't pull the plug first.

Every manual transmission driver should try and teach their kids, nephews, cousins how to drive a stick shift. That's the best thing we can do to keep it alive.

One Bad Mama Jama!!! bamathrasher's Avatar
    It really wouldn't surprise me, I considered the new Focus simply because of the SYNC technology, and finding the nice model with a MT was impossible.

Most companies have done away with MT's for CVT transmissions, claiming it as just as fun to drive... lol @ that. Long live the 3rd pedal.
    2012 TW Si Sedan - Sold and missed 4/5/2013 Hidden Content

Got to say - they're making manuals so easy to drive now, that its so easy a caveman could do it. So much harder to stall the Si today, than the manuals I've driven in the past. Plus stuff like hill start assist where they put in a brake release delay (not on the Civic, but on the CR-Z) makes hills a non event.

I remember back in the day where I grew up, we had to take driving tests in a manual... you had to stop on a stripe on a hill, then start moving again, without sliding back. Could sit and watch people struggle there all day.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)