1st Gear Clutch Noise - Page 19
  1. Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation – General discussion forum for 9th Gen Civic

Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation - a website dedicated to all things 9th Gen Civic.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join 9th Gen Civic today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 69 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
Like Tree115Likes

Thread: 1st Gear Clutch Noise

Quote Originally Posted by thatguy99 View Post
    Update:
    Sorry this took so long to write. I took my car to another Honda dealership over this issue and the tech was able to replicate the noise himself several times. But, unfortunately, they will not repair it under the drivetrain warranty. They were pretty straight forward with my and told me if my car was under the 3/36 they would do it, or if my car was completely stock, they might do it under "good will". My service adviser advised my to call corporate and see what they would do but no luck there as well. I was under the impression there was a true Honda TSB for it but there is not. So time to change my clutch myself at 45k.
    That sucks! Did you ever report it in before the 36k warranty was up?

I was wondering while everyone discusses this issue, does anyone have any idea of the long term problems that can happen in the future and if a clutch change is really needed early on? Or be better to keep driving till clutch starts slipping? While my problem rarely happens and it's sometimes hard to reproduce, I just can't justify changing a clutch because of a squeak problem early if everything drives perfectly fine.

2. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Well. I have my story solved.

Honda got to have my car from 1/31 until today because I was out of the area. They were able to reproduce the noise it was making in 1st gear. After talking to their technical service rep, the dealer was told to disassemble the clutch and look for certain signs of wear that would indicate a known problem with some 2012 Civic Si's and excessive wear from abuse is written off. After seeing what the signs of wear Honda tech said they were supposed to see, they replaced pretty much the whole clutch assembly, putting in a new pressure plate, friction plate and throwout bearing in, all done under warranty.

I can't tell you what the service reference number is from the Honda tech line, but I can tell you that the adjustments and new clutch feel completely different than it ever has. Even when I first got the car, it seemed like the pedal was soft and the clutch engaged really high in the pedal throw, which many a person has complained about on here for a couple of years now. Not the case anymore, this grabs at the bottom and is precise. It know it's a new clutch and to give it some break in time, but I noticed a nice difference when I got the car back this morning.
    bluestar gave me the clap.

K24Z7 Crew Member #11
    HFP Crew Member #11

2012 Honda Civic Si Coupe - Crystal Black Pearl
    2014 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road - Barcelona Red

One Bad Mama Jama!!!
    Any people having this issue with their 2013 si. Mine makes a little noise like described starting off from first but not all the time. Car has 10k miles on it and should not be making any clutch noises this early in its life. I'm going to call my dealer and at least make them aware of it so they can document it. Like every other dealership i'm sure they won't be able to reproduce the problem and in some kind way they will probably tell me to go **** myself on the warranty because I have an aftermarket audio system installed and they will try and blame it.

5. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Greenhorn
    I went in and drove the mech around and reproduced it for them.

I have found it happens when the clutch is not fully released, but you accelerate from a stop into first and it makes the whirring sound as you release the clutch the extra inch.

I really hope the Honda corporate rep corrects this for me.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Quote Originally Posted by FooBird View Post
    Well. I have my story solved.

After talking to their technical service rep, the dealer was told to disassemble the clutch and look for certain signs of wear that would indicate a known problem with some 2012 Civic Si's and excessive wear from abuse is written off. After seeing what the signs of wear Honda tech said they were supposed to see, they replaced pretty much the whole clutch assembly, putting in a new pressure plate, friction plate and throwout bearing in, all done under warranty.
    I had a very similar situation. They told me they had seen clutches w/ 100k on them in better condition. I am gentle on the clutch and have nowhere near 100k on my car. All parts of the clutch, including the flywheel, were replaced under "good will". I'm not sure what the exact defects they were looking for were, but they replaced it all no questions asked.

Quote Originally Posted by nothing View Post
    I had a very similar situation. They told me they had seen clutches w/ 100k on them in better condition. I am gentle on the clutch and have nowhere near 100k on my car. All parts of the clutch, including the flywheel, were replaced under "good will". I'm not sure what the exact defects they were looking for were, but they replaced it all no questions asked.
    Yes. That was a phrase on my paperwork. "One-time good will." Once I could reproduce the noise with them present, they took the car and reproduced it themselves and without question of who would foot the bill, replaced the clutch. From what I could tell, they were looking for specific types of wear indications. I'm sure if they found something other than what they were expecting, it would've been passed back to me to pay for the fix.

K24Z7 Crew Member #11
    HFP Crew Member #11

Well add another to the list. Dropped car off today after taking the tech for a drive to make the noise. Car has 34700 on it. I got the noise for the first time a month ago. Found another thread on the other 9th forum. Someone posted that back in October honda sent out a notice to dealerships asking them to contact them if someone brought in their car reporting the problem. Honda wanted to look at the cars before the techs to try and diagnose the issue. It is their technical research group.

I forgot to mention I printed out the Honda notice and the service bulletin. After making the noise for the tech I handed him the documents. I was also having another warranty item being taken care of (plastic clip snapped and they were replacing it. After replacing the brocken clip my car pulled up outside. The service manager said they were going to warranty the clutch. I take it back to have it replaced tomorrow

Here is the service bulletin1st Gear Clutch Noise-service-bulletin.jpg

Unfortunately that is not in any of the Honda systems. Otherwise this would be an easier thing to deal with.

K24Z7 Crew Member #11
    HFP Crew Member #11

+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 69 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)