1st Gear Clutch Noise - Page 69
  1. Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation – General discussion forum for 9th Gen Civic

Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation - a website dedicated to all things 9th Gen Civic.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join 9th Gen Civic today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 69 of 69 FirstFirst ... 1959676869
Like Tree115Likes

Thread: 1st Gear Clutch Noise

Greenhorn
    As in your car had under 60k miles?

2. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Greenhorn
    Quote Originally Posted by puffaroach View Post
    Honda Canada isn’t admitting fault but they found the noise to be the clutch springs prematurely wearing out causing that noise. I got it covered under warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greenhorn
    Quote Originally Posted by Teeps View Post
    My Civic contact left Honda a couple years ago.
    At that time he said there were no countermeasures in place and none on the horizon.
    So far as I know, any new parts from the Honda parts bin will be the same specification as when the car was built.
    The noise IS just a noise and presents no detriment to the service life of the clutch, as I have been told.

It's all moot now anyway as, the 9th gen Civic (drive train) is 3 years in the rear view mirror now.
    I wish there was more info out there as to what damage the springs can do. If they are truly a noise only hidnerance I could care less at this point. I just do not want to be stranded.

5. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

One Bad Mama Jama!!! puffaroach's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Noone_Likes_The_Tuna_Here View Post
    My car has under 30k Km but out of the 3 year warranty. I bought the extended warranty.

Greenhorn
    Which dealership covered it under warranty?

One Bad Mama Jama!!! puffaroach's Avatar
    Wood Wheaton Honda in Prince George BC CANADA.

Greenhorn
    TL;DR: I'm beginning to build a case to send to the Maryland Attorney General Consumer Protection Division to mediate between Honda and affected owners of low-mileage 9th gen Si's (~25k or less) from the precise issue described in this thread.

The backstory: Last year I bought a certified-used 2015 Civic Si coupe with ~8k miles and a clean carfax. A few weeks ago, I noticed it making the exact same noise that is described and shown by video in this thread (page 5 for video). My car currently has a little over 21k miles. I took my car to the Honda dealer I bought it from, and they diagnosed it as needing >$1,000 worth of parts/labor to the clutch system. They also told me that Honda declined to pay for it (citing their scripted response of not covering clutch repairs because of "normal wear and tear"). After calling Honda customer service and speaking with 3 individuals, explaining how many other owners have had the same issue with their low-mileage Si's, they still declined forwarding my case to a case manager for further review.

From combing through this thread, it appears that several owners have described this issue with their car at a similar amount of miles. To me, this strongly indicates a factory-defect in the clutch system of these cars. Something that Honda should be responsible for, and not attributed to normal wear and tear. As we all know as well, clutch systems typically last 50-60k miles before anything should need repaired or replaced.

With this, I'm looking for 9th gen owners with low-mileage cars with this current issue, or 9th gen owners who already covered the repair cost themselves for the precise issue described in this thread. From this I can further build a case with the Maryland Attorney General to show that this is not normal wear and tear. Honda needs to own up to their mistake, and cover the costs of fixing these cars. If you'd like, send me a PM with the details.

Thank you.

Greenhorn
    I bought my 2013 Civic Si from Lute Riley Honda in Richardson TX in November 2015 with 44,000 miles on it. It was Certified Pre-owned. I paid $870 for the extended warranty because when I said I was worried about the clutch, the finance guy said it would cover it. (Yep, right there you can tell how bright I am, and how this will likely end.) At that time I was unaware of the Civic clutch noise phenomenon. I was just anxious about buying a used Si. Within a month it starting squealing. I went back to the dealer in February, and they said they “could not replicate it long enough to diagnose the cause.” Finally last fall the noise became more consistent, so I took it back. I provided links to the videos and testimonials of folks whose dealers stepped up for them. For those of you whose dealer took care of it for you, I’m jealous! Lute Riley Honda would not.

Quote Originally Posted by hondasnbeemers View Post
    I bought my 2013 Civic Si from Lute Riley Honda in Richardson TX in November 2015 with 44,000 miles on it. It was Certified Pre-owned. I paid $870 for the extended warranty because when I said I was worried about the clutch, the finance guy said it would cover it. (Yep, right there you can tell how bright I am, and how this will likely end.) At that time I was unaware of the Civic clutch noise phenomenon. I was just anxious about buying a used Si. Within a month it starting squealing. I went back to the dealer in February, and they said they “could not replicate it long enough to diagnose the cause.” Finally last fall the noise became more consistent, so I took it back. I provided links to the videos and testimonials of folks whose dealers stepped up for them. For those of you whose dealer took care of it for you, I’m jealous! Lute Riley Honda would not.
    I've heard good things about David Macdavid in Frisco, and have personally had good luck with Honda Denton. However, I haven't had them try to look at this issue.
    Whenever I'm suffering from Insomnia, I just look at a picture of a Toyota Camry and I'm straight off.
    INSTAGRAM: that_stock_fb6

+ Reply to Thread
Page 69 of 69 FirstFirst ... 1959676869

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)