1st Gear Clutch Noise
  1. Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation – General discussion forum for 9th Gen Civic

Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation - a website dedicated to all things 9th Gen Civic.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join 9th Gen Civic today!

Page 1 of 69 1231151 ... LastLast
Like Tree115Likes

Thread: 1st Gear Clutch Noise

Greenhorn

1st Gear Clutch Noise

Hey guys, ive had my 2012 civic si sedan for a year and half. the past 6-8 months ive noticed my clutch making a weird grinding noise. its similar to that of dragging a table across the floor. ive been driving stick my whole life so i know its not shitty shifting. it happens about 80% of the time. it only happens when i go from a dead stop and start accelerating. once the car build momentum it goes away. it only happens in 1st and between 1500-2000rpm. If i start from 2nd, i dont get the noise. Ive taken it to honda a few times already and they keep saying they cant find anything. Mostly because they dont know what to look for (because i cant seem to replicate it).

has anyone else experienced this?
    any and all help would be extremely appreciated.
    thewraith, Rey, Dayton and 1 others like this.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

2. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Mine does it!! It started after a drag race!! I think its the throw out bearing!!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
    K24Z7 Crew Member #256

Banned
    Likewise.. I think I might upgrade my clutch line and see if that changes anything

5. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Before tearing into your clutch please read this recent thread.

https://www.9thgencivic.com/forum/dri...tml#post907817

Prior to this thread I had been suspecting loose or broken springs in the clutch plate. Now I have to advise anyone with this symptom to check or replace this tensioner pulley which is dirt cheap.
    2012 Civic Si Coupe CBP

Freedom and Liberty For ALL! (some restrictions apply, must be over 18, not available in some states)

K24Z7 Crew Member #30
    High Milers Club Founding Member

i get the same sound too but only on 1st gear not second...

Greenhorn
    My 2012 Si just started doing this. It only does it when I'm at a full stop in first gear. It doesn't do it all the time. I'm bringing my car to Honda to look at. If this a clutch issue, would this be covered under the drivetrain warranty? The service person I spoke with had no idea.
    Last edited by darczap; 10-18-2013 at 12:56 PM.
    Dayton likes this.

funnie mine just started doing this too on 1st gear fully stop and then taking off right after 36K miles.
    starx86 likes this.
    ***08/08/11 - I got my 2012 Rally Red Honda Civic Si Sedan.Hidden Content ***

*2nd 9thGenCivic.Com Member with a 2012 Rally Red Honda Civic Si Sedan.* 1st is 67cougar.

- 2012 Rally Red Honda Civic Si Sedan (Current)
    - 2003 Satin Silver Metallic Honda Civic Si Hatchback (Sold)
    - 1994 Pard Blue Green Pearl Acura Integra GSR Coupe (Stolen/Totaled)
    - 1992 Super White Toyota Corolla DX Sedan (Totaled)

Check your idler pulleys yet guys? Curious to see if anyone else had any luck with that quick fix mentioned in the link I posted above.
    2012 Civic Si Coupe CBP

Freedom and Liberty For ALL! (some restrictions apply, must be over 18, not available in some states)

K24Z7 Crew Member #30
    High Milers Club Founding Member

Big Timer!!!
    I'm surprised Honda and most their dealers are not acknowledging this is a real problem. I've seen many members here with 2012 Si's have this exact issue, including myself. I started a similar thread about a year ago. Knowing this issue does not happen all the time, the dealers will most likely say they're unable to replicate the grinding sound and feel.

That's why I started the thread in hopes some members had the same problem. I was lucky another member here with this issue just had his Si fixed when I started my thread. Even more lucky, the dealer he dealt with was not too far from me. I took my car in couple months later and guess what? They told me they couldn't replicate the problem. To my surprise, they told me to bring my car back on a weekday and they'll replace the whole clutch assembly! My advisor said they'll take the whole thing apart and send it to Honda to see where the problem is. I wasn't going to argue with that. It's been over 10 months now on the new clutch and I have not heard or felt a thing since then. To be honest, I have not been back to that service department since then due to them not being nearest to me. So, I have not been able to follow up to see what Honda was able to find. Dealer is Norm Reeves Honda in Cerritos. Thanks guer086 for sending me to them and hopefully your clutch is problem free as well.
    Krayjee likes this.

Greenhorn
    I came back from the dealer and of course he couldn't replicate the sound. The second I pulled out of the lot, it happened for me. I drove with one of the staff engineers and he tried to tell me it was the way I was driving. I haven't changed a thing about the way I drive though, and this started happening about a month ago. I told him I wouldn't waste my time or his if this wasn't something I was hearing. This is really frustrating.

Page 1 of 69 1231151 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)