Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT)
  1. Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation – General discussion forum for 9th Gen Civic

Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation - a website dedicated to all things 9th Gen Civic.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join 9th Gen Civic today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT)

Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT)

hey, who has some real experience with these transmissions?
    My mechanic said how they are problematic and he doesn't recommended it, since he said the clutch tends to fail, gears slip, acceleration is bad at times.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

2. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Hmmm, ...only problems I heard from independent mechanics were how expensive it was to purchase the tools for working on them, ...which in turn leads to lost jobs, ...which of course leads to them bad mouthing them.

As for at the dealership, I haven't heard of any problems. Of course as with anything mechanical, ymmv, ...but CVT's contain less moving parts, are lighter, more robust, and have been around a lot longer (since the 1400's) than your conventional automatic transmission. I see much more people with problems with their autoslushbox's. Again though, ymmv.

Quote Originally Posted by Haw'N Si View Post
    Hmmm, ...only problems I heard from independent mechanics were how expensive it was to purchase the tools for working on them, ...which in turn leads to lost jobs, ...which of course leads to them bad mouthing them.

As for at the dealership, I haven't heard of any problems. Of course as with anything mechanical, ymmv, ...but CVT's contain less moving parts, are lighter, more robust, and have been around a lot longer (since the 1400's) than your conventional automatic transmission. I see much more people with problems with their autoslushbox's. Again though, ymmv.
    ...If what you said is true, in time CVT's should be a problem with more and more vehicles to come with them, thus stepping up the demand for people to repair them when needed. So those mechanics that dont have these special tools will see it as an investment if purchased

5. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

CVT should stay with my skidoo

Has anyone on here had a bad experience with these first hand?
    which models does this come in?
    Hidden Content Go hard or go home, but never go home hardHidden Content

Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content

CVT is bad for acceleration. Very slow acceleration, its like theres one gear and the ratio is 0.9845:1 or something lol.
    And When you do accelterate sometimes it feels like the clutch is slipping the rpms go up but you don't feel the torque of the motor. I would hate to rebuild a CVT. I heard you shouldn't rebuild it.

hmmm, doesnt sound good at all. but somethings not right here.....there's has to be something good about them right? or why would they use them??
    Hidden Content Go hard or go home, but never go home hardHidden Content

Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by TaiLuu View Post
    CVT is bad for acceleration. Very slow acceleration, its like theres one gear and the ratio is 0.9845:1 or something lol.
    And When you do accelterate sometimes it feels like the clutch is slipping the rpms go up but you don't feel the torque of the motor. I would hate to rebuild a CVT. I heard you shouldn't rebuild it.
    I disagree. I have an Altima 3.5SR with CVT and haven't had any problems with it. Acceleration is fast and smooth and I COULD feel the torque. It just doesn't have the jolt that many enthusiasts love when they downshift because the power delivery of the CVT is so refined. CVTs aren't new technology, but the ones in recent Nissans seem to have been engineered well and aren't plagued by the rubber-band like acceleration older CVTs seem to produce.

Enthusiasts don't have to worry about it anyway, the Hybrid is the only one with this transmission.

If I floor my car it stands up at 5k rpm and just gets faster, and faster, it's no Si, but it can move when I need it to. Though I plan ahead and drive for conditions, so my fastest acceleration I need is ~2k rpm, aveage accels happen at 1500, unless I'm getting on a freeway then it's 2k all the way.
    Digger likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mobiusrain View Post
    I disagree. I have an Altima 3.5SR with CVT and haven't had any problems with it. Acceleration is fast and smooth and I COULD feel the torque. It just doesn't have the jolt that many enthusiasts love when they downshift because the power delivery of the CVT is so refined. CVTs aren't new technology, but the ones in recent Nissans seem to have been engineered well and aren't plagued by the rubber-band like acceleration older CVTs seem to produce.
    It seems different for me. Maybe its cause I'm way to use to Manual Trannys

Quote Originally Posted by GCustom View Post
    Enthusiasts don't have to worry about it anyway, the Hybrid is the only one with this transmission.

If I floor my car it stands up at 5k rpm and just gets faster, and faster, it's no Si, but it can move when I need it to. Though I plan ahead and drive for conditions, so my fastest acceleration I need is ~2k rpm, aveage accels happen at 1500, unless I'm getting on a freeway then it's 2k all the way.
    It kills me to see me RPM a 2k on a downhill with no throttle. Such a Waste of gas!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)