Very cool, very useful, very inexpensive (if you already have a smart phone)
  1. Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation – General discussion forum for 9th Gen Civic

Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation - a website dedicated to all things 9th Gen Civic.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join 9th Gen Civic today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Very cool, very useful, very inexpensive (if you already have a smart phone)

Very cool, very useful, very inexpensive (if you already have a smart phone)

I got a Bluetooth OBDII scanner from eBay (about $13) and the free Torque app from Google Play (their app store).
    Very cool, very useful, very inexpensive (if you already have a smart phone)-imag0005.jpg Very cool, very useful, very inexpensive (if you already have a smart phone)-2012-08-16_20-58-48.png
    The Torque app lets you create custom panels with the gauges and graphs you want. Note that I now have a temperature gauge.

Mini DIY (added 2012-08-19)

I purchased this scanner from eBay:
    V1.5 ELM327 OBDII OBD2 Bluetooth Auto Car Diagnostic Interface Scanner | eBay

I didn't do a lot of research, but for $12.49 I was willing to take a risk. You might want to order from Amazon because the delivery from China on eBay is sloooow. My laptop doesn't have Bluetooth, so I ordered a dongle so I can try out the software that came with the scanner. I'll update when it arrives. This doesn't require much of a DIY, since it was brain-dead easy.
    1. Take the scanner out of the package.
    2. Plug it into the space on left side of the fuse panel under the dash. It's near your left knee when you sit in the drivers seat. It only goes in one way, with the label to the left. It's only difficult if you try to do with one hand while taking photos and you can't see that you have it upside-down.
    3. Turn your ignition to the on position (accessory might work) and pair your phone to the scanner. Settings -> Bluetooth -> OBDII.
    4. Start the Torque app. Add gauges and graphs to your heart's content. You can define up to five screens of dials, graphs, and displays.

Update 2012-08-19

I upgraded to Torque Pro. The interface is better and the displays are more configurable, well worth the $4.95.
    Last edited by Victor.S; 08-19-2012 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Added micro DIY.
    K24Z7 Crew Member # 160
    9th Civic POP Crew # 33
    2012 Si Coupe

2. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

that is pretty cool. What scanner did you get?

really neat, do you know if there is a similar app for the iphone? i looked up torque and torque pro but all I see is Android.. thanks
    FB2 Squad #21

5. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

awesome dude,cant beat the price for guages

For iPhone, there's an app called Dash Command for $49.99 that looks to be about the same thing as Torque.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
    2012 T.W. Si Coupe w/Navigation
    K24Z7 Crew Member # 149

Yeah, I've been using this for a while. Works great!!

As for the apple equivalent, I remember reading that apps couldn't get the licensing cheap enough to utilize apples proprietary form of Bluetooth and keep their app inexpensive, so most said screw it and went the Wi-Fi route. Google around and I'm sure you'll find the answers you're looking for. Just remember a Wi-Fi OBD2 scanner and Bluetooth OBD2 scanner are probably going to be different costs.

You could always buy a cheap/knockoff android tablet along with the Bluetooth OBD2 and go from there :-) (www.chinavasion.com)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
    Last edited by flipovich; 08-18-2012 at 10:59 AM.
    FLIPOVICH

Rally Red Civic Si - US Edition

K24Z7 Crew Member #168

Quote Originally Posted by 2000gm View Post
    For iPhone, there's an app called Dash Command for $49.99 that looks to be about the same thing as Torque.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
    wow, I'll wait till that app goes on sale.
    FB2 Squad #21

One Bad Mama Jama!!!
    Great app. I downloaded the free/ lite version. Looks cool. Do I need some sort of external sensor that plugs into the obd

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App
    K24Z7 Crew Member #84

Quote Originally Posted by SiGuy View Post
    Great app. I downloaded the free/ lite version. Looks cool. Do I need some sort of external sensor that plugs into the obd
    +1 same ?
    K24Z7 Crew Member #176 Hidden Content
    United we stand , Divided we Fall..
    Hidden Content

Yes, you need a Bluetooth OBD2 adapter...on my phone right now, so I'll provide a link later...if I remember right, the ELM327 is the compatible type.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
    FLIPOVICH

Rally Red Civic Si - US Edition

K24Z7 Crew Member #168

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)