9th Gen Civic Forum banner

Inspection problems with K tuned Downpipe

7K views 23 replies 8 participants last post by  Soldier1288 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I have a 12' civic si, with a k tuned downpipe with high flow cats. I failed the inspections in NJ, and was wondering whether the problem was due to the downpipe or if it was because of flashing the ecu with hondata. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Text Font
Text Receipt Font Paper

See less See more
#3 ·
I know this is an old thread, but check your area laws on how many "not ready" are allowed for it to pass. Here in NOVA, we are allowed 1 "not ready."

#7 · (Edited)
#9 · (Edited)
Use your flashpro to view your obd readiness monitors. If any are not set or complete it means the ecu is still waiting for feedback to confirm the emissions equipment is functioning properly. Until then you cannot pass an emissions test.

Click obd diagnostics, then readiness tab.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

#11 · (Edited)
If your tuner has already confirmed all sensors are enabled then you can either keep driving to see if they set. Or go back to a stock calibration to get through the inspection then flash back to you tune map.

If you calibration is not locked, you can check under misc tab.

#12 · (Edited)
I had a similar problem with my dv6 catted downpipe. What I did was first adjust the defoueler. I backed the nut off a bit to pull the 02 sensor away from the downpipe a little more. Second thing I did was go into flashpro and I "flashed ECU back to stock" flashing it back to stock probably wasn't necessary, I just wanted to be sure it would pass. If you're throwing a CEL, you should definitely try adjusting that defoueler though.

Also these cars have a specific process you "should" follow to get the monitors ready. I just drove the piss out of it for like an hour. But technically you're supposed to start the engine from a cold start, turn the AC and defroster on for 20 seconds at an idle. Then drive at 50-60mph for like 2 mins, let off gas to about 20mph, drive back to 50-60mph for another five minutes and then let off gas back to 20mph. I forgot the exact process, but I'm pretty sure it's something like that. That's considered one "drive cycle" sometimes your car might take 3 or more for the monitors to get ready.

Just keep checking the monitors in flashpro/whatever software you use. Once all of them are up, drive it very carefully to get inspected.

#17 ·
On my RV6, the cat was towards the tail end of the downpipe, so the second 02 sensor bung on the rv6 was pre-cat. I'm not sure if other brands are like this, but as it's a ots cat, my guess is they are.

#15 ·
From what I've read on these forums some had success with them, some without them. What could it hurt? They're fairly inexpensive. I tried it on my dv6 catted downpipe with and without. The car didn't throw any codes WITH the defoueler. I even had to adjust the defoueler out a bit just to prevent the cel.

#21 ·
Yep, unless you've got hondata, ktuner, or aftermarket ECU, you've got to have the defouler on the secondary o2 bung. These keep you from getting a c.e.l.. They are on Amazon pretty cheap. Sounds like if your a inspection state that these may not save you though.

#22 ·
I just looked at the ktuned site. They have proper cat placement and a spot for secondary o2 so there shouldn't be any issues there.
OP, have you actually looked under the car to make sure everything is installed properly?
While a defouler can't hurt, i wouldn't think it should be needed with the ktuned unit. I never had a defouler on my full race and never had a CEL...i have heard of needing a defouler with any aftermarket downpipe though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.