Exhaust bolts
  1. Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation – General discussion forum for 9th Gen Civic

Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation - a website dedicated to all things 9th Gen Civic.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join 9th Gen Civic today!

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By jn2k108
  • 1 Post By AndyMac204
  • 1 Post By scottyrocks
  • 1 Post By 2.4
  • 1 Post By scottyrocks

Thread: Exhaust bolts

Greenhorn

Exhaust bolts

Hey I'm sorry if this has already been asked I searched and couldn't find anything. So I have a '13 Si and when it was new I put a Skunk2 cat back on. Now 6 years later I just failed my inspection due to an exhaust leak on both sides of my resonator. Long story short I need to replace the gaskets but due to 6 years of heating up, cooling down, and rusting I can't get the bolts out. I have sprayed a can of WD40 on the bolts over the course of a week and have made no progress as to removing them. Does anyone have any other ideas how to get these out? I have limited access to good tools at this moment due to me being stationed away from my house. Any help will be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Nooblets
    Yeah they’re probably seized on there pretty good. You’re going to need to torch those bolts cherry red or get an angle grinder to cut them off and get new exhaust bolts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2.4 likes this.
    2015 FB6 DBP Si

Hidden Content

Greenhorn
    That's what I was afraid of. Thanks

5. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Big Timer!!!
    Did you use any type of loctite when you installed?
    2.4 likes this.

Greenhorn
    No we didn't use any loctite.

Truck? What truck?! scottyrocks's Avatar
    While WD-40 is great for many things, it is not the best for freeing rusted parts. Try a dedicated penetrant, instead. Some brands to consider are Liquid Wrench (good), PB Blaster (better) or Kroil (best of these three).
    2.4 likes this.
    'Three pedals or bust!'
    'Come for the cars. Stay for the people.'
    'Part of having the right to free speech is knowing when to not exercise it.'
    ‘Say what you mean, mean what you say, but don’t say it mean.’
    9th Gen Civic POP Crew #6 Hidden Content
    9th Gen Civic LI Crew#1 Hidden Content

Greenhorn
    UPDATE: Got off work today hit up Autozone and of course they didn't have any Kroil they did have PB Blaster and that along with 4 hours of twisting turning and cussing all 4 bolts are out and only 2 are completely unusable. I'm going to replace them all just kinda thought that was a miracle. Anyway thanks for all the help guys.
    scottyrocks likes this.

Truck? What truck?! scottyrocks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 2.4 View Post
    UPDATE: Got off work today hit up Autozone and of course they didn't have any Kroil they did have PB Blaster and that along with 4 hours of twisting turning and cussing all 4 bolts are out and only 2 are completely unusable. I'm going to replace them all just kinda thought that was a miracle. Anyway thanks for all the help guys.
    Usable or not, at least you got them out.
    2.4 likes this.
    'Three pedals or bust!'
    'Come for the cars. Stay for the people.'
    'Part of having the right to free speech is knowing when to not exercise it.'
    ‘Say what you mean, mean what you say, but don’t say it mean.’
    9th Gen Civic POP Crew #6 Hidden Content
    9th Gen Civic LI Crew#1 Hidden Content

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)