Do all down pipes crack ?
  1. Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation – General discussion forum for 9th Gen Civic

Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation - a website dedicated to all things 9th Gen Civic.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join 9th Gen Civic today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Do all down pipes crack ?

Nooblets

Do all down pipes crack ?

Ive read that every single aftermarket down pipe will crack at some point,even if you have an upgraded RMM installed.

Ive also read that the Ktuned pipe is the best because of the 2 piece design,but it still leaks at the flange, eventually.

Is any of this true? Anyone have a DP longer than 3 years with no issues?

2. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Greenhorn
    I would say that might be true. I've had the Full Race Gen 1 DP for over 3 years now. I'd say after the first few months I had to ship it back to get it re-welded at the flange which had developed a crack running along the top of the weld and part way down both sides. I wouldn't be surprised if it has since cracked again,pretty sure it is, but I don't have the patience to deal with it. Any of the casted flanges look like they would hold up much better.
    K24Z7 Crew Member #401

'15 TW FB6

'00 Accord Ex V6
    '74 CB750k

The big problem is that none of the aftermarket downpipes have the lower attachment point like the stock one does, so it puts a lot of stress on any of the welded joints. Without that additional attachment point, they will all fail eventually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

I purchased my RV-6 DP from a member. used with 1k miles onit. i have put around 40k miles on my car. NE winters since 2016.
    RMM and upper Torque mount. No cracks yet.
    9th Gen Civic POP Crew #88

2013 RR Si FB6

Flashpro - Vittuned
    Hasport - RMM 62a & UPM 70a
    RV-6 2.5" - Catted Downpipe
    Invidia - Q300
    Yellowspeed - Coilovers @ 33%
    GodSpeed - Rear Camber Arms & Rear Sway Bar

Acuity - Shifter, Cable Bushings, Transmission Spring Upgrade, Coolant hoses, CAi
    Tanabe - WideBand Gauge
    Ortiz Custom Pods - Dual Cluster - OCPH-87
    BlueBatOverlays - Chrome Delete
    Skunk2 - Ultra Street Intake Manifold
    K-Tuned - Coolant ByPass
    P2R - Intake Manifold Thermal Gasket

I used the RV6 downpipe for 4 years, lots of miles the last year. I also live in the rust belt...never had a issue with the downpipe with everything else stock. No after market engine mounts or anything.
    I believed alot of issues was not having a flex joint on the downpipe, or too small of a flex joint. I had the subframe off during clutch change, and the stock motor mounts are very soft...I can see how the engine could flex and break the downpipe.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now