Trouble with Screws on Underneath Panel
  1. Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation – General discussion forum for 9th Gen Civic

Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation - a website dedicated to all things 9th Gen Civic.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join 9th Gen Civic today!

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By colnago
  • 1 Post By JamesB1985

Thread: Trouble with Screws on Underneath Panel

Greenhorn

I have had trouble unscrewing all the screws from the underneath panel so that I can drain the oil and replace the filter. Specifically, the front 2 screws are virtually impossible to get off and I have had to work some magic in order to work around the panel to drain the oil and install a new filter when I change out my oil. The last time I was in the garage, literally I and 4 different guys all tried to no avail. Has anyone else had this issue? Or does anyone have any good suggestions for getting these off? Thanks and have a great day!

2. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Haven't hit my first oil change yet in only at 3500 miles.Hopefully I can figure it out.Having a lift in the garage helps .
    R18 Crew Member 1144

Hidden Content
    '12 TW EX SEDAN

Click on Following Links for Help:
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

5. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Greenhorn

I have had trouble unscrewing all the screws from the underneath panel so that I can drain the oil and replace the filter. Specifically, the front 2 screws are virtually impossible to get off and I have had to work some magic in order to work around the panel to drain the oil and install a new filter when I change out my oil. The last time I was in the garage, literally I and 4 different guys all tried to no avail. Has anyone else had this issue? Or does anyone have any good suggestions for getting these off? Thanks and have a great day!

I had trouble getting them off with a hand tool and actually started to strip them out. I got out my impact driver and it was able to unlock the tough ones and I avoided any further damage.

when I saw this setup when I bought my car in the manual I got an immediate headache. Rusted bolts come to mind. Then I thought hey it's Honda they probably used antiseize or plastic clips to hold cover in place. I guess not. I know the 2012 has taken allot of slack, but i love the car. I like the plastic dashboard. Had padded dashboard before and that just lifts over time. The plastic is more durable. But this cover and the orange dipstick, what the hell were they thinking!! (nothing)

Will replace with stainless steel when I do my first oil change.
    Digger likes this.

One Bad Mama Jama!!!
    a little anti seize as stated by colnago will work wonders

Spray with PB blaster/WD40 the day before your oil change to let it soak through and you'll be golden. After the oil change apply a light coating of silver anti seize and you'll be good for years of easy oil services.

Big Timer!!!
    Yes some people have had problems with these screws at the dealership. Use a long phillips screwdriver and push in on the screw while turning with a lot of torque, it should come off with not too much difficulty. For people who haven't done the change yet, go out and loosen them before they get corroded and harder to get off.
    Digger likes this.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)