Osram Sylvania Silverstar 9012 HIR - Low Beam Replacements
  1. Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation – General discussion forum for 9th Gen Civic

Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation - a website dedicated to all things 9th Gen Civic.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join 9th Gen Civic today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Osram Sylvania Silverstar 9012 HIR - Low Beam Replacements

Osram Sylvania Silverstar 9012 HIR - Low Beam Replacements

Hi Everyone,
    I got pretty excited for a minute when I found these bulbs at O'Reilly's because I had not been able to find anything like this in the Sylvania online catalog. The only 9012 bulb they show as available is the Sylvania XtraVision, and I thought it would be nice if we could get these in the Silverstar (or better) lineup. It's great that it also serves as another name-branded option to the Philips 9012 HIR bulb currently available, and I believe the Silverstars should shoot a whiter light than the Philips bulbs which are essentially as yellow as stock (albeit significantly brighter). However, since I couldn't find these in the online catalog, I don't have any actual stats to back that up.

Several of you guys will already be aware that these 9012 HIR bulbs could make a real nice improvement because, in spite of the fact that they are still 55W bulbs and therefore safe to use in place of the stock 9006 low beams, they produce approximately 1800 lumens relative to the ~1000 lumen output of the Sylvania 9006 Silverstar Ultras I unfortunately just purchased (before I knew these existed).

It does take a small modification to the central tab which can easily be accomplished with a nail trimmer, as described here:
    HIR bulb base modification

I've got both installed now, and once I go out in the dark, I'll give a quick update to see how bright / white they really are.

~Sure you could buy an Si and leave it stock, but that would sorta be like paying for a prostitute just to talk~
    Hidden Content

2. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

I'm interested in the results, especially since you have used Silverstar Ultras, which I've used before. I also tried HIDs and now have cree led low beams. The HIDs were best (but I didn't like the ballasts and wiring all over the engine bay), then cree (except they do not align well), then the Ultras (which last about 11 months and were $50/pair).

Supposedly the lifespan of the 9012 is one big advantage over the Silverstar Ultras: they're supposed to be able to last about 4 times as long, I believe. Which is interesting if you think about it; why would the 9012 bulb have a longer life span given that it puts out so many more lumens (halogen infrared reflecting (HIR) bulbs have a coating that reflects some of the infrared energy back at the filament causing it to glow even more brightly)? I don't have a good answer.
    How long do HIR bulbs last? - Drive Accord Honda Forums
    HIR FAQs
    HIR Headlights 9011 9012 bulbs
    RitcheyRch likes this.
    ~Sure you could buy an Si and leave it stock, but that would sorta be like paying for a prostitute just to talk~
    Hidden Content

5. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

One Bad Mama Jama!!!
    I had the plug and play HID's inb my last Si and too hated the extra wiring and ballasts.

Quote Originally Posted by colint View Post
    I'm interested in the results, especially since you have used Silverstar Ultras, which I've used before. I also tried HIDs and now have cree led low beams. The HIDs were best (but I didn't like the ballasts and wiring all over the engine bay), then cree (except they do not align well), then the Ultras (which last about 11 months and were $50/pair).

Hey OP! How did the 9012 bulbs compare to the Ultras? Are they worth swapping?

I still need to go do a head to head comparison. This might take a while because getting that passenger side bulb out is a supreme beeyotch!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
    colint likes this.
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by KDiggityDog76 View Post
    I still need to go do a head to head comparison. This might take a while because getting that passenger side bulb out is a supreme beeyotch!

BTW, I looked at the comments on amazon for the Philips 9012 and Wagner 9012. Buyers say they are much brighter white light and that the Wagners are actually German Philips Long Life bulbs re-branded . . . and they're only @$17.00 each, so that may be a god deal. And yeah, the passenger side bulb is tough. Let us know what you find out!
    Last edited by colint; 01-05-2016 at 10:09 PM.

Wow that's a smoking deal! Even tho the color temp listed on the 9012 is just above stock, to my eyes, they're significantly whiter than stock. It actually didn't rain today but I'm at work still. If the dry holds out, I'll tackle it this weekend.

RitcheyRch likes this.
    Hidden Content

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by KDiggityDog76 View Post
    Wow that's a smoking deal! Even tho the color temp listed on the 9012 is just above stock, to my eyes, they're significantly whiter than stock. It actually didn't rain today but I'm at work still. If the dry holds out, I'll tackle it this weekend.

I can confirm that 9012 HIR bulbs are noticeably "whiter" than OEM 9006 bulbs. I have them in my other vehicle, but not my FB6. Like you, I didn't want to muck about with ballasts and extra wiring (I've been down that road before) and I wanted to keep a factory appearance under the hood. The reflector of the headlamp housing plays a big part in how much improvement you might notice, but I think the OEM FB6 headlights are pretty decent, so....

I absolutely hated my stock headlights to the point that I can't believe it took me so long to do something about it. I would go so far as to call them borderline dangerously bad. There's an unlit road near me where it gets REAL dark, and it scares the tish out of me driving that road at more than 12 mph at night. My g/f's Mazda 3 has stock HID's that light up that whole road. They're brilliant (lit'rally; see what I did there?)

Hidden Content

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)