MercRacing TVS 900 Supercharger Kit Questions
  1. Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation – General discussion forum for 9th Gen Civic

Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation - a website dedicated to all things 9th Gen Civic.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join 9th Gen Civic today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: MercRacing TVS 900 Supercharger Kit Questions

Greenhorn

MercRacing TVS 900 Supercharger Kit Questions

Hello,

I am looking to supercharge my 2015 Civic Si Coupe after 50k miles. I have attempted to contact MercRacing directly, but have not received a response in two weeks, and my Facebook message was read but no response. I would really like to purchase this kit, but I currently have no way of knowing all the parts I need to successfully install an Air to water setup! Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

You will need at the very least:

-The kit itself (Along with the new thermostat housing and thermostat listed in the description)
    -The aftercooler
    -Brackets to mount the heat exchanger
    -The heat exchanger
    -The supercharger coolant system pump
    -The supercharger coolant system fill tank
    -Hoses, clamps, fittings, etc. for connecting the aftercooler, reservoir, and heat exhanger (Merc may offer one, but otherwise I'd look around for something similar to this)
    -Any pulley sizes you want
    -Relay wiring harness for activating the pump (Again maybe Merc is offering this, but its pretty easy to figure out)
    -Assorted bits like new gaskets (manifold/head and blower/TB), coolant, new PCV/CCV lines, etc.
    -Custom intake (as this blower mounting doesn't line up directly with any bolt-on intakes), Bigger injectors, fuel pump (I recommend it for anyone, no matter what psi they are running), all that stuff.

Obviously some of these things you can find elsewhere (and for different prices), but that's the basic list. Not nearly as bolt-on as the CT-E blower or the IMT aftercooler route, but the TVS setup Merc has certainly has a lot of headroom designed into it.
    Last edited by BWill9886; 07-10-2019 at 08:17 PM.
    2013 RR Si Sedan - Modified RSX/8th gen CT-E supercharger and 2.25" IMT aftercooler

Greenhorn
    Quote Originally Posted by BWill9886 View Post

-The kit itself (Along with the new thermostat housing and thermostat listed in the description)
    -The aftercooler
    -The heat exchanger
    -Hoses, clamps, fittings, etc. for connecting the aftercooler, reservoir, and heat exhanger (Merc may offer one, but otherwise I'd look around for something similar to this)
    -Relay wiring harness for activating the pump (Again maybe Merc is offering this, but its pretty easy to figure out)
    -Assorted bits like new gaskets (manifold/head and blower/TB), coolant, new PCV/CCV lines, etc.
    -Custom intake (as this blower mounting doesn't line up directly with any bolt-on intakes), Bigger injectors, fuel pump (I recommend it for anyone, no matter what psi they are running), all that stuff.

Obviously some of these things you can find elsewhere (and for different prices), but that's the basic list. Not nearly as bolt-on as the CT-E blower or the IMT aftercooler route, but the TVS setup Merc has certainly has a lot of headroom designed into it.
    Alright, sounds a lot more in-depth than either the PRL kit or the CT-E kit. I’m open to suggestions, is this kit worth it?

5. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by mrburgerUS View Post
    Alright, sounds a lot more in-depth than either the PRL kit or the CT-E kit. I’m open to suggestions, is this kit worth it?
    Well you can't get the CT-E kit anymore (besides used)because the company folded, but the same factors remain for people deciding between the two options:

-How much power are you looking for?
    The TVS is more efficient than the MP62 but the turbo kit is going to make more power more easily anyday. Especially if you are going with the smallest TVS unit.

-What kind of power delivery are you after?
    Some people like the instant and constant power delivery of the blower over the turbo. I happen to enjoy aspects of both, but in this car (Daily with light track capability) I much prefer a PD supercharger. Powerband is extremely useful, but not being too overbearing at below 10 psi. If it were a drag car I would go turbo for sure.

-Budget?
    So in a cost/performance comparison it's not too hard to see that the PRL kit will make more power for less money. However, you do need to factor in higher maintenance costs (You need a clutch for the the turbo kit as well as better tires, where you can get away with neither on a lower boost supercharger if you want). Then there are other costs associated with my next point...

-Your comfort with DIY maintenance?
    The install is much easier for a lower boost TVS or CT-E kit. You are only removing the intake side of the engine (and the downpipe if you are smart). No subframe removal or intercooler piping to route. If you have done basic replacement of fluids and parts on your car then you can do this. The turbo requires more know-how and time which is why people usually have someone else do it. That's a potential extra cost. There is also objectively less to keep track of with the blower over the turbo. Just make sure your serpentine belt stays in good shape and if your install was good you shouldn't have to touch it besides regular maintenance. Troubleshooting issues is easier given there are less potential problem areas (no charge pipes and less vacuum lines for boost leaks to occur).

Personally if I were in your position and shooting for mid-high 200whp I'd grab the TVS1320 kit and a low boost pulley and start there. That gives you more headroom when/if you want more.

My 2 cents. Probably some things I missed, but it's 5:30am. Good luck with whatever you decide.
    Last edited by BWill9886; 07-12-2019 at 05:35 AM.
    2013 RR Si Sedan - Modified RSX/8th gen CT-E supercharger and 2.25" IMT aftercooler

Quote Originally Posted by BWill9886 View Post

-The aftercooler
    -The heat exchanger

Hello,i was thinking about the Mr900 Tvs,isn’t a simple bolt ons like the Ct? I mean no after cooler?

Quote Originally Posted by Tcho_Laury View Post
    Hello,i was thinking about the Mr900 Tvs,isn’t a simple bolt ons like the Ct? I mean no after cooler?
    You can if you want. OP wanted to use the air to water setup so that's what I linked. You will need to talk to Merc Racing though about a block-off plate for the aftercooler hole in the manifold. That or make your own.

It still is not as bolt-on as the CT-E but that is certainly closer than with a full air-to-water setup.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)