I know nothing about turbos
  1. Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation – General discussion forum for 9th Gen Civic

Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation - a website dedicated to all things 9th Gen Civic.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join 9th Gen Civic today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I know nothing about turbos

Greenhorn

I know nothing about turbos

So that’s not completely true, I understand how they work and the methodology behind them, what I don’t understand is how to purchase them properly. I’ve been looking at different kits (future purchase within the next year btw) but they are so expensive. Could anyone guide me through how I would go about building a custom turbo kit (like finding and buying all the parts and then taking it in to have it installed), I’m mainly looking for suggestions on parts, a list of the parts I need, and lastly prices. I’m trying to get the most bang for my buck, so the cheaper the better but I don’t want it to be a POS, lmk what y’all think I appreciate any suggestions, and like I said, complete noob to turbos =D.

P.s. my si is A sedan completely stock, I plan on getting a tune, cai, and some other basic bolt ons, but I’m trying to get a list together so I know how much a custom turbo would cost since it is the most impactful mod I could realistically do. (Don’t want e-85 rn because of how quickly I burn through gas)

2. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Greenhorn
    Edit: forgot to add 2015 with about 80k miles

One Bad Mama Jama!!!
    I think you're gonna find that 99% of turbos people on this forum use are the kits. If anyone had the time and money to cobble together a new functional turbo setup from scratch, they'd probably start selling it as a kit, or they should if they were wise.
    Full disclosure, I have no personal experience with turbos, kit or otherwise, so this is just my perspective. Save up for a kit. Trying to piece something together could end up being more expensive and/or dangerous. On the other hand, it could be a cool and fun project that may or not get completed, but be sure to take pics.
    2013 Civic Si Coupe (Rallye Red)
    Suspension mods:

Progress 24mm Rear sway bar
    Energy greasable Bushings
    Moog greasable endlinks
    SPC adjustable rear camber arms
    Curt Trailer Hitch

Engine/Transmission Mods:

Hasport 62a Rear & Top Motor Mounts
    Clutch-delay valve delete
    CMC Speed bleeder
    K&N engine air filter and cabin air filter
    Weighted shift knob
    MTEC Shifter Springs
    Vit Tuned

Electrical Mods:
    Viper 4806v Remote Start
    Hard-wired Dash cam
    PIAA headlights and yellow fogs

5. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Big Timer!!!
    my past experience, piecing together a turbo kit isnt that bad. the real pain in the ass is all the lil stuff, clamps, oil/coolant lines, hardware etc.
    kits are nice cause of the instructions, customer support and everything is in the box (usually).
    i have cai, catless dp, hondata and etune.
    if i were to do it again, i would have just put the intake and dp money towards forced induction.
    i was gonna go ct blower but they pulled the pin.

I did a full race kit last winter. It's nice, had every hose, clamp, oil fitting needed with good instructions. Only thing needed outside the kit was spark plugs and clutch I believe. I went with the full race, because the Borg Warner EFR turbo has a internal waste gate. *Edit* this kit also came with injector Dynamics injectors. Highly suggest not going cheap on the injector side.

I probably could have gotten away with purchasing a tig welder, and making my own intercooler pipes, and downpipe. Im sure money can be saved by shopping around, and making some stuff yourself. I don't have a tig welder, pipe die, so it was easier to buy a kit.

In reality, you have to buy a intercooler, turbo, manifold, oil feed line and fittings, oil drain fittings, hose clamps, injectors, intercooler couplings. That's where the kit is just easier.
    Last edited by 9thgensifamily; Yesterday at 12:09 PM.

Greenhorn
    But thing is, I plan on taking it to a shop to have it installed so ease of installation isn’t too much of an issue, I’m just wondering an estimate price and what parts I need so I could take it to a mechanic

Greenhorn
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyMac204 View Post
    my past experience, piecing together a turbo kit isnt that bad. the real pain in the ass is all the lil stuff, clamps, oil/coolant lines, hardware etc.
    kits are nice cause of the instructions, customer support and everything is in the box (usually).
    i have cai, catless dp, hondata and etune.
    if i were to do it again, i would have just put the intake and dp money towards forced induction.
    i was gonna go ct blower but they pulled the pin.
    meant to post it to here

Greenhorn
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwark17 View Post
    So that’s not completely true, I understand how they work and the methodology behind them, what I don’t understand is how to purchase them properly. I’ve been looking at different kits (future purchase within the next year btw) but they are so expensive. Could anyone guide me through how I would go about building a custom turbo kit (like finding and buying all the parts and then taking it in to have it installed), I’m mainly looking for suggestions on parts, a list of the parts I need, and lastly prices. I’m trying to get the most bang for my buck, so the cheaper the better but I don’t want it to be a POS, lmk what y’all think I appreciate any suggestions, and like I said, complete noob to turbos =D.

P.s. my si is A sedan completely stock, I plan on getting a tune, cai, and some other basic bolt ons, but I’m trying to get a list together so I know how much a custom turbo would cost since it is the most impactful mod I could realistically do. (Don’t want e-85 rn because of how quickly I burn through gas)
    Search this on YouTube: Budget Turbo Kit, Gives this 2015 Civic Impressive Gains

This guy made his own turbo kit. Maybe hit up him up. He commented on PFI's YouTube page as Thomas Davis.
    MercRacing TVS1900 S/C kit - 352whp/290wtq @ 11psi. Stock intake and catback exhaust. Only power adder is a FullRace 3" catted DP.

YouTube: Hidden Content
    InstaGram: @da_blackazn

Quote Originally Posted by Dwark17 View Post
    But thing is, I plan on taking it to a shop to have it installed so ease of installation isn’t too much of an issue, I’m just wondering an estimate price and what parts I need so I could take it to a mechanic
    If your not doing it yourself, I can't see it being cheaper to pay labor hours for fabricating all the plumbing rather than buying a kit. As you said, ease of install won't be a problem for you, but that means more labor hours at around $130hr. YouTube builds are not realistic, no one wants to watch a guy fight a rounded off bolt.

I installed the full race kit myself. I had the tuning shop fabricate a battery tray, look over everything, do the first start, and tune. That alone was well over 3,000. If they had to fab up everything there I couldn't imagine the cost. Unless you have a buddy with a Dyno, or your going low boost and no intercooler, I'd budget no less than 10k to turbo with you not touching the car. If you order a kit, total parts tend to be around 8k if your going for 350hp+.

There's kmod performance that is really cheap, but you'd have to live fairly close. He quoted $8700 installed and tuned a year or so ago, keep in mind he's done several 9th gen turbos so can keep labor time down.

Outside of that, I recommend the centrifugal super charger. It's cheaper, can make 400hp, and labor for install will be much cheaper.
    Last edited by 9thgensifamily; Today at 11:55 AM. Reason: Added info

Baned
    Yup. I'd say save up and go with a kit. It will be way easier in the long run.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now