Turbo a Civic 2013 1.8 Worth It? - Page 4
  1. Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation – General discussion forum for 9th Gen Civic

Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation - a website dedicated to all things 9th Gen Civic.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join 9th Gen Civic today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Turbo a Civic 2013 1.8 Worth It?

PRL Turbo 2012 Honda Civic Si // CBP // Sedan - (SOLD)

2015 WW Evo X GSR - Bolt-ons/Stock Turbo - 353whp/349wtq on 91

2. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Now is your chance for put you name on R18 flashpro list!

https://www.9thgencivic.com/forum/sho...30#post1074130

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
    March 2013 FB2/FG3 Winner!
    KTuner
    AFE Takeda
    Air Filter Intake w/ ram air mod
    P2R Throttle Body Spacer w/ gasket mod
    Custom 2" mid-pipe
    AFE Takeda Axleback

Hidden Content

Greenhorn
    Well it really depends. The r18 platform can be extremely beneficial for a turbo as it has it generates more heat in the exhaust because of the wierd manifold it has that is designed to heat up the catalytic convertor faster. This heat would be given to the turbo instead which would cause more power for the turbo therefore more boost. Add in the fact that it is a very light weight engine, and you have a quick little FWD car. The problem comes in when you realize that they designed the r series specifically to be a good light weight and fuel efficient car. I belive it has a plastic intake manifold...while that makes it great for fuel efficiency it could be bad for boost. It depends on the type of polymer used in the plastic and whether it can handle high tension or high compression. Most polymers can’t handle both, but for boosting you want it to handle high tension and low compression which is what i would expect them to use for it. But if it is the other way around, you will be looking at replacing the engine MUCH more frequently. (Luckily the r18 is cheap in comparison) But the intake manifold is all i would be too concerned about. Everything else seems like it should be able to handle it fine with a good tune (which we now have). But if it is the wrong type of polymer, you could always throw im some forged internals if you want to boost that badly. But I would only replace what you need as forged internals take longer to heat up to be used at full power, weigh more so less fuel efficiency, and take up much more space than cast internals.

If it is not the right type of polymer, i would recommend getting an aluminum/forged manifold (don’t know if there is one out yet but i would choose aluminum for the light weight) and either getting a sleeve or swapping parts with an r20 engine to go from 1.8L to 2.0L and it should handle the power fine. Honestly, even if it is the right type of polymer, i would still upgrade to 2.0L just to have more room for tuning.

As for the high chance of tire spin because it is already such a light weight vehicle, I would probably get some wider tires (and make them 18-20 inch while you’re at it since i believe it comes with 15) and lower the vehicle to have more down force on the front.

So the r18 can be a great platform for boosting but can require a little bit of rebuilding, nothing major but still might want some rebuilding done. Honestly even if you don’t boost. Go ahead and make it a 2.0L just cause it should be simple to do and beneficial for you either way.

5. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Greenhorn
    Weapon R Intake Manifold will fit the 9th gen.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)