What gas to pump? - Page 64
  1. Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation – General discussion forum for 9th Gen Civic

Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation - a website dedicated to all things 9th Gen Civic.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join 9th Gen Civic today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 64 of 64 FirstFirst ... 1454626364
Like Tree83Likes

Thread: What gas to pump?

Quote Originally Posted by turkeyfeast123 View Post
    For a short while I was thinking of converting my Honda to a mini pick up truck and carrying one of those large tanks in the back
    Just fill a bunch of empty plastic milk containers with gas and carry them in the back seat and trunk. Please don't drive near me though......
    Question authority.

Only the knife knows what goes on in the heart of the pumpkin......unknown

2. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by fear24 View Post
    600 mile range...when you have one of these strapped to the trunk...

No, but a good tank of premium. If I had that tank I could go a year or more with out getting fuel. My 12 Civic I had a 700 mile range.
    Civic POP Crew #3

Quote Originally Posted by Silver2Coupe View Post
    No, but a good tank of premium. If I had that tank I could go a year or more with out getting fuel. My 12 Civic I had a 700 mile range.
    It is amazing how Civics seem to hate gas. My other two get 20 on the highway, which, at one time wasn't bad but after getting a Civic, it is bad. Both are on truck chassis though.
    Question authority.

Only the knife knows what goes on in the heart of the pumpkin......unknown

5. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Roadcourse View Post
    It is amazing how Civics seem to hate gas. My other two get 20 on the highway, which, at one time wasn't bad but after getting a Civic, it is bad. Both are on truck chassis though.
    They hate regular when you are lugging(1000-1500rpm) the motor which is where most people are during cruise. At 30 mph I am at 1000 rpms. I filled up yesterday on the way to the hospital and got the best mpg with this car. Range 650 and 50.3 average mpg and that was with 80/20 Hwy. After I got to the hospital at 50/50 it still had a 578 range with 26 miles and 44.9 mpg. I drive with Econ off and traction control off. It is a pleasure to drive now. Power is awesome for a 1.8 liter motor. After today and 150 miles driven I still am averaging 44 mpg. I also have not checked the tire pressure and have Honda cheap bulk oil has 8000 miles on it at 40 percent MM.
    Roadcourse and scottyrocks like this.
    Civic POP Crew #3

still trying to figure out how you are getting that high of mileage. i'm stumped - unless you run around at 50-55 mph.

i can reach 43-46 mpg on my commute if i keep a constant 67 mph, as i've found that i can keep it on cruise in rush hour for the most part and not worry about hitting the brakes all the time, stop and go. (not getting run over to bad...but definitely in the right lanes!). i too run with t/c off and econ off (per your recommendations). not sure how to reset the ECU as you have mentioned before. i run pure gas (ethanol free) 91 octane (yes, it costs more, but definitely better mileage - just not as good as you).
    Last edited by fear24; 08-07-2017 at 10:23 AM.
    hiding from those who might be looking for me

POP Crew #61

2014 Black EX
    20% Global Tint
    Curt 1 1/4" receiver
    Weathertech In-channel visors

Hidden Content

Been averaging around 31mpg mixed driving on 93 octane. Not shabbyfor an Si.

Quote Originally Posted by fear24 View Post
    still trying to figure out how you are getting that high of mileage. i'm stumped - unless you run around at 50-55 mph.

i can reach 43-46 mpg on my commute if i keep a constant 67 mph, as i've found that i can keep it on cruise in rush hour for the most part and not worry about hitting the brakes all the time, stop and go. (not getting run over to bad...but definitely in the right lanes!). i too run with t/c off and econ off (per your recommendations). not sure how to reset the ECU as you have mentioned before. i run pure gas (ethanol free) 91 octane (yes, it costs more, but definitely better mileage - just not as good as you).
    There are a lot of variables. I am back using BP 93 with 10 percent ethanol RFG phase 3 after a reset which is clearing codes even if there is none. I drive 65-70 mph at cruise and do pass when needed. I have screen shots to post with my Imid but they are on my phone and will work on posting them soon. I drive 50/50 based on time. I use .66-.80 gallons an hour. I really dont hyper mile anymore because there is too much traffic lately due to lower gas prices so I have to go as fast as everyone else. I try not to race to red lights but there are too many people that do which causes me too. My whole point was to show it does not matter what oil but what fuel that is used and that the ecu is tune-able without reprogramming. My 02 Acura with lower compression does this too. The main reason to reset the ecu once in a while is to clear the learned knock control which is always applied even if you go higher in octane. Some say you can make the ecu relearn without clearing the codes but have not been able to figure that out yet but read that the learned knock is applied even if there is no knock because of premium because it does not know when the conditions will cause knock. One reason some people dont feel a difference.

I use gasoline with 2 octane higher then you and is top tier which has friction modifiers and dont you have lots of hills? If I remember right KC is hilly so engine loads with A/C and or lights will use more fuel. Illinois is not exactly flat but because living near the lake there is more wind which can help push the car at least in one direction.
    Civic POP Crew #3

Big Timer!!!
    Oh I'm convinced that the ECU actively re-learns each time I turn on my car. For example, if I don't push my car right away, from a cold start, then it doesn't respond as nicely if I were to have driven it a little bit more aggressively right from the start. And no I don't mean flooring it on a cold start. I think the ECU acts differently and this effects MPG

+ Reply to Thread
Page 64 of 64 FirstFirst ... 1454626364

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)