What gas to pump?
  1. Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation – General discussion forum for 9th Gen Civic

Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation - a website dedicated to all things 9th Gen Civic.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join 9th Gen Civic today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 64 1231151 ... LastLast
Like Tree83Likes

Thread: What gas to pump?

What gas to pump?

Hi I'm a new car owner! I recently purchased a EX sedan and my first tank of gas (dealership provided) is coming to an end. I was wondering which gas station would you recommend to pump? And also if I should pump regular like the manual says or go higher? And when is it a good time to get more gas, around 1/4 of the tank? THANK YOU!

2. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Use a top tier gas if you're concerned...

Top Tier Gasoline

I wouldn't bother with premium unless you have an Si, otherwise, regular should do.

Regular and any top tier brand.
    Last edited by T_Virus; 07-17-2011 at 06:30 PM.
    ***08/08/11 - I got my 2012 Rally Red Honda Civic Si Sedan.Hidden Content ***

*2nd 9thGenCivic.Com Member with a 2012 Rally Red Honda Civic Si Sedan.* 1st is 67cougar.

- 2012 Rally Red Honda Civic Si Sedan (Current)
    - 2003 Satin Silver Metallic Honda Civic Si Hatchback (Sold)
    - 1994 Pard Blue Green Pearl Acura Integra GSR Coupe (Stolen/Totaled)
    - 1992 Super White Toyota Corolla DX Sedan (Totaled)

5. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Big Pimping!!! stringfellowhawke's Avatar
    Lowest grade is fine, but I would stick with top well known brands. My wife was using Shell ever since we got the car, but last week filled up at 7-11 with a no name brand. She gets some engine pinging from time to time now....ever since she filled up there which obviously is from the crappy gas so only good gas from now on for us.
    2012 Honda Civic LX
    Dyno Blue Pearl

Big Timer!!!
    I used to use Ultra 94 in my *th gen but in the last 6 months I switched to Shell V Power 91 for my Si. It seemed to run a lot better on the Shell gas despite the 3 less octane

Not a lot of Shell stations around here - probably might just go with Exxon Supreme. Ultra 94 - Sunoco?

Big Timer!!!

no dont use Ultra 94

Any gas with Ethanol added to it is harmful to your engine. The gas companies only add it because its better for the emmissions for the environment. Unless you are really for saving the planet more than your nice car dont use that stuff.

Don't think one can get gas without ethanol anymore... its stupid really. Lowers your mpg too.

Big Pimping!!! stringfellowhawke's Avatar
    In most states you can get ethanol free, but its very rare. Technically it is illegal though. Here in the Tampa area of FL theres only about 3 stations that have it. None near where I live though. Most are found around boat docks and marinas because people with boats want it. If you can find it you'll pay more, but worth it. There are websites that let you know by state where the stations are. This is a good one. http://pure-gas.org/

As far as higher octane theres no point in getting it unless the car calls for it like the Si's. I tried higher octane in my last car and it made 0 difference. Actually burned off a little faster. Its not even the octane that may make your car run bad. Its the fact that its cheap watered down gas with 0 detergents.
    I know some car manufactures even say dont put high octane gas in certain models.
    IMO on an LX or EX higher octane fuel is just a waste of more money.

Ethanol is awful. Its not as bad when you use the car, lawn mower, etc. often, but if it sits around for some time thats when it becomes a big problem. I know in the old cars its a major issue because old cars werent built to even use any amount of it period.
    Last edited by stringfellowhawke; 07-17-2011 at 10:35 PM.
    2012 Honda Civic LX
    Dyno Blue Pearl

Banned
    Last time I checked Premium at many gas stations here in Canada is ethanol free... The law mandates 5% overall, but companies arrive at that figure usually with the following mixes 10% in 87, 5% in 89, and 0% in 91+.. But I haven't looked to closely in a while...
    Last edited by chip; 07-18-2011 at 12:21 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 64 1231151 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)