Very Low MPG New 2015 EX? - Page 2
  1. Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation – General discussion forum for 9th Gen Civic

Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation - a website dedicated to all things 9th Gen Civic.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join 9th Gen Civic today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Very Low MPG New 2015 EX?

Big Timer!!!
    I decided to get rid of my 2014 Civic EX coupe. But, it got great fuel mileage all the time. I get up to about 36 mpg on the road, and 34 mpg mixed town and country. I drove it about 7,000 miles. I don't own it anymore.

I traded it in for a new 2015 Civic EX-L coupe. Even though the EX-L is new, less than 2,000 miles, I've been getting nearly the same mileage that I got with the EX. Of course, I live on the coast where it's never really hot or cold, and only a little above sea level. If my EX had gotten poor mileage like yours I wouldn't have bought another one. Something is wrong with yours.
    Last edited by upshifter; 07-14-2015 at 07:17 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Very Low MPG New 2015 EX?

I've noticed with my '14 LX sedan when I'm driving around the city I only get 24 and hwy 36-39. My average has been 33 though. It definitely doesn't meet the 30 city as the sticker said, but I'm not too worried about it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
    R18 Crew Member #53
    2018 Pilot EX AWD SSM (wife's)
    2013 CRV EX PMM (mine)
    2014 FB2 LX ASM (sold)
    2001 Acura Integra GSR (sold)
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

It has to do with the CVT trans and the way the ecu detects loads which looks different than the 12. My wife has been driving 50/50 Chicago and tollway similar to me and only gets 33 mpg and I am seeing my average lowering even when I hyper-mile but still around 42. I notice engine loads over 70 percent when there should not be high loads and fuel air mix around 11 to 1 when it should be 14.2. I also don't see the timing go past 29 degrees much but when at 32 degrees the mpg goes way up. My wife uses regular and I use premium. I will wait awhile but might reset the ecu if it does not change.
    Civic POP Crew #3

5. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Greenhorn
    Quote Originally Posted by Coastie05 View Post
    I've noticed with my '14 LX sedan when I'm driving around the city I only get 24 and hwy 36-39. My average has been 33 though. It definitely doesn't meet the 30 city as the sticker said, but I'm not too worried about it.

That is exactly what I have been seeing. I do about 90% of my driving in the city right now, so I'm getting the low numbers. My last fuel-up average only went up to 25.0mpg from a low of 23.5mpg during my first . Alex's Civic EX (Honda Civic) | Fuelly

What are your city commutes usually like? I usually drive fairly short distances (less than 10 miles), so am thinking that may be the culprit here, as my drive to work is not that far. I know urban/congestion fuel economy should be worse, but am just surprised not to find many other people with these numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by upshifter View Post
    I decided to get rid of my 2014 Civic EX coupe. But, it got great fuel mileage all the time. I get up to about 36 mpg on the road, and 34 mpg mixed town and country. I drove it about 7,000 miles. I don't own it anymore.

I traded it in for a new 2015 Civic EX-L coupe. Even though the EX-L is new, less than 2,000 miles, I've been getting nearly the same mileage that I got with the EX. Of course, I live on the coast where it's never really hot or cold, and only a little above sea level. If my EX had gotten poor mileage like yours I wouldn't have bought another one. Something is wrong with yours.
    I'm hoping my commute and driving distances are the culprit right now. Usually I have been driving under 10 miles one way. I am going to take it on some longer, highway trips soon, and if the mileage is still below normal, will definitely bring it in to the dealer for inspection.

Very Low MPG New 2015 EX?

Quote Originally Posted by alxz310 View Post
    That is exactly what I have been seeing. I do about 90% of my driving in the city right now, so I'm getting the low numbers. My last fuel-up average only went up to 25.0mpg from a low of 23.5mpg during my first . Alex's Civic EX (Honda Civic) | Fuelly

What are your city commutes usually like? I usually drive fairly short distances (less than 10 miles), so am thinking that may be the culprit here, as my drive to work is not that far. I know urban/congestion fuel economy should be worse, but am just surprised not to find many other people with these numbers.

I'm hoping my commute and driving distances are the culprit right now. Usually I have been driving under 10 miles one way. I am going to take it on some longer, highway trips soon, and if the mileage is still below normal, will definitely bring it in to the dealer for inspection.
    Usually I just use the car to get back and forth to work and not much city driving. However, I'm on leave right now and have family in town. We've been hopping back and forth between the CRV and Civic since we've been doing a lot of city driving. Stop lights and signs and so forth.

Silver2Coupe likes this.
    R18 Crew Member #53
    2013 CRV EX PMM (mine)
    2014 FB2 LX ASM (sold)
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Greenhorn
    I was so disappointed when I bought my new Civic last week and saw such low gas mileage numbers as well. However, I reset the trip odometer and average mpg, and now it looks like its recording accurately, and my mileage went from about 24 to 36!
    Try resetting yours. Maybe you are experiencing the same problem I had. Love seeing these large numbers now! Its a great feeling.

45 mpg and raising in my 15 Civic LX. Zero issues with CVT and engine. Its so quiet and smooth, it feels like a Accord.
    Civic POP Crew #3

Greenhorn
    Well, it looks like it's just the horrific traffic and long traffic lights here. I've also pegged it down to short(-ish) commutes (~7 miles) on a cold engine; when I drive shortly after a previous trip, the mpg is usually at least 4-5 higher than the cold run. I also went on a couple of long trips on the freeway last weekend and managed to get up to 41.0mpg on one of them. So overall, my car is getting ~25-26mpg driving in the city, and >40 on the freeway it seems

FWIW, I get 33-34 in all city traffic and 40 to the high 40's on the highway. I picked up my car with 0 miles on the odometer and it got this kind of mileage from day one. There was no break-in period that affected mileage. Give it time and decent gas. My owner's manual says 87 octane or higher. Higher is what your car wants. Try mid-grade. There's a reason they say "or higher".
    Silver2Coupe likes this.
    Question authority.

Only the knife knows what goes on in the heart of the pumpkin......unknown

With mixed driving I get 33. I'm not complaining though. However, I'd love to see numbers like some of y'all.

R18 Crew Member #53
    2013 CRV EX PMM (mine)
    2014 FB2 LX ASM (sold)
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)