Very Low MPG New 2015 EX? - Page 3
  1. Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation – General discussion forum for 9th Gen Civic

Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation - a website dedicated to all things 9th Gen Civic.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join 9th Gen Civic today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Very Low MPG New 2015 EX?

Big Timer!!!
    I would not be happy with the MPG you are getting with your EX. I have been tracking my MPG with my Si since new. I do a mix of about 50/50 hwy/city and have a cumulative average of 29.7 MPG through 12,600 miles of driving.
    2013 ASM Civic Si - Stock
    2013 Ninja 300 EX

2. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by alxz310 View Post
    Well, it looks like it's just the horrific traffic and long traffic lights here. I've also pegged it down to short(-ish) commutes (~7 miles) on a cold engine; when I drive shortly after a previous trip, the mpg is usually at least 4-5 higher than the cold run. I also went on a couple of long trips on the freeway last weekend and managed to get up to 41.0mpg on one of them. So overall, my car is getting ~25-26mpg driving in the city, and >40 on the freeway it seems
    From the new my '12 EX 4DR A/T has returned between 21 and 23 MPG, with similar driving conditions as you state.
    On a full freeway run I have seen numbers above 30 MPG; but, that quickly drops once back to in town driving conditions.
    Go here: Hidden Content
    Because misinformation is far worse; than NO information...

Greenhorn
    Quote Originally Posted by Teeps View Post
    From the new my '12 EX 4DR A/T has returned between 21 and 23 MPG, with similar driving conditions as you state.
    On a full freeway run I have seen numbers above 30 MPG; but, that quickly drops once back to in town driving conditions.

Nice to see I'm not the only one getting low numbers (and confirmation from another SoCal member). In addition to the traffic, I'm thinking maybe the special blend of gas we have here in California is netting us lower MPGs?

5. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

The first 500 was the worst.

Greenhorn
    I'm with you on the California city driving, my mpg is so poor here in SoCal. Civic ex-l 2015

Now work and back on the highway mpg I'm driving ridiculously with no passing or acceleration. This is a royal pain but I get decent mpg
    Highway south 40 mpg easy. Down hill mainly ( will get up to 50 but it's a lot of coasting and I pay the piper on the way home)
    Highway north 29 mpg on avg. brutal uphill
    Combined with very mild city ( trip from home to work to home ) 36 mpg

Below is driving to enjoy myself. I'm not a lead foot driver but I don't take 2 minutes to hit 40 mph and I will pass people that go under the speed limit. Normal person driving.
    City driving 26 mpg avg with some lights
    Rush hour 21 mpg with a lot of sitting in stop n go traffic
    Honey to do list to a few stores and very short trips avg 23 mpg

So the hybrid would be awesome for around town as the regenerative breaking and electric only in stop n go traffic would make money on the mpg. I don't see the advertised mpg unless I drive so soft it gives me a migraine. Anyone on I 15 south to San Diego knows the flow of traffic is xxx mph (70 speed limit). I feel for the other drivers and I HATE being That guy slowing down everyone to try to force a 2 mpg better avg.

I live in so cal too just about 20-30 minutes out of DTLA and right now Im on vacation from school so during the week I do most of my driving around locally just some errands here and there and the weekends is when I get on the freeway and drive freeway speeds 65+ an hour and when I first got my civic I was getting 25-26 mpg...maybe 27 if I was lucky and now with over 5800 miles on the odometer Im averaging 28.8 MPG....not nearly as great as I would hope to get in a car as economical as the civic but chances are in the fall when I go back to school which requires me to spend an hour driving on the freeway both ways from school to home Ill see my MPG spike up....but for now the 28.8 MPG is enough for me to go a good 2 weeks between fill ups

Greenhorn
    Quote Originally Posted by ampm1678 View Post
    I live in so cal too just about 20-30 minutes out of DTLA and right now Im on vacation from school so during the week I do most of my driving around locally just some errands here and there and the weekends is when I get on the freeway and drive freeway speeds 65+ an hour and when I first got my civic I was getting 25-26 mpg...maybe 27 if I was lucky and now with over 5800 miles on the odometer Im averaging 28.8 MPG....not nearly as great as I would hope to get in a car as economical as the civic but chances are in the fall when I go back to school which requires me to spend an hour driving on the freeway both ways from school to home Ill see my MPG spike up....but for now the 28.8 MPG is enough for me to go a good 2 weeks between fill ups
    Hey, I'm pretty much in your exact same situation lol. I'm on break here in SoCal, and am similarly expecting better MPG when I go back to school; the city there is more of a smaller town, and I'll likely be doing much more freeway driving than here.

Just fueled up a couple of days ago again, and got a calculated 25.1 mpg.. this was with practically 100% LA city driving. Much less than my last tank, on which I got 33.1 mpg (with 85% highway driving).

Quote Originally Posted by alxz310 View Post
    Hey, I'm pretty much in your exact same situation lol. I'm on break here in SoCal, and am similarly expecting better MPG when I go back to school; the city there is more of a smaller town, and I'll likely be doing much more freeway driving than here.

Just fueled up a couple of days ago again, and got a calculated 25.1 mpg.. this was with practically 100% LA city driving. Much less than my last tank, on which I got 33.1 mpg (with 85% highway driving).

Hey nice to know there are some other college kids on here as well haha but yeah I feel you man I tend to switch my screen to the fuel economy screen when my gas gauge gets down to it's last 3 bars just so I can see if I'll have enough to get me to where Im going or if Ill have to fill up lol...I filled up yesterday and saw my MPG hit 28.8 MPG which is basically the highest Ive ever gotten out of it in the 6 months that I've owned it. So if I were you getting 33.1 miles to the gallon I would be ecstatic! hahah

Greenhorn
    In a response to my last post. Just got an amazing mpg after a 141 mile round trip on the highway 95% of the time with about 3 miles off highway on both ends. Was up the 15 down the 91 to the coast and back.

41 mpg. So all my poor mpg is due to Cali hills going south to Dan Diego and traffic which turns the highway into city driving. Of course this was early Sunday morning no traffic. It is 100% with cruise control so I wasn't gliding.

Not to shabby and good to know that the car can get this. Also unless you have a hybrid I feel the city driving isn't going to be much better here then the posted mpg. Finally I got a decent factory advertised mpg
    Silver2Coupe likes this.

Greenhorn
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony2823 View Post
    In a response to my last post. Just got an amazing mpg after a 141 mile round trip on the highway 95% of the time with about 3 miles off highway on both ends. Was up the 15 down the 91 to the coast and back.

41 mpg. So all my poor mpg is due to Cali hills going south to Dan Diego and traffic which turns the highway into city driving. Of course this was early Sunday morning no traffic. It is 100% with cruise control so I wasn't gliding.

Not to shabby and good to know that the car can get this. Also unless you have a hybrid I feel the city driving isn't going to be much better here then the posted mpg. Finally I got a decent factory advertised mpg
    I've noticed that highway fuel economy is excellent (if not better than the EPA estimate at times), but in the city it really can be pretty terrible. Over 4 tanks of 90% LA city driving I'm averaging 25.5mpg. My commute right now is 6.5 miles, going through at least a dozen stop lights (travel time 30 minutes); I've seen as low as 23mpg, and the highest at only 27.x

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)