Gas Saving Modifications - Page 2
  1. Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation – General discussion forum for 9th Gen Civic

Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation - a website dedicated to all things 9th Gen Civic.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join 9th Gen Civic today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Gas Saving Modifications

Greenhorn
    I put the underbody panels off of the hybrid on mine and it jumped up 2 mpg to now averaging 45 to 46 per tank. They were cheap and fit as they are the same body only modification you need to do is order the hybrid fuel tank strap as it gives you the only missing mounting point. There should be a thread on this forum about it already. I have the 2012 5 speed manual version.
    scottyrocks likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

aero, weight & friction are the way mpg junkies mod their cars, we have few fanatics here that's obsessed with it...

Big Timer!!!
    The easiest ones that I know off would be weight reduction, lightweight wheels, good tires and I don't know about the other civics but i've read a few threads(not just on here) of people getting improved mpg in their si's with a custom tune.

5. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Nooblets
    The cover under the engine was missing on mine when I bought it used and buying a new one improved my MPG by 2. I don't know how 59 mpg is even possible...maybe you were going downhill most of the way? I took a snap of my one of my personal best which is 50.2 after about 160 miles with the cruise set to 60. I've actually gotten it to 52 making the same drive without the AC on.

The absolute BEST mod you can make it to modify your driving habits; drive slower and at a constant speed. Coast up to lights, as using your brakes is wasted energy. Accelerate slowly. Yeah I'm no fun to drive with, but I mostly do it because it makes no difference; everyone rushes up to the red lights and I coast there for 30 seconds. I timed it and my morning 18 mile commute takes 31 minutes if I drive like a grandpa and 30 minutes if I drive like a maniac. Traffic and ways catches up with you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gas Saving Modifications-20170530_110740_1508686388804.jpg  
    billy307 likes this.

Bottom line is easing off the gas is the best way to improve MPG and leaving 5 minutes earlier for work rather than gunning it to the next red light cause in rush hour traffic you really won't get there much faster anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by iamadoorknob View Post
    The cover under the engine was missing on mine when I bought it used and buying a new one improved my MPG by 2. I don't know how 59 mpg is even possible...maybe you were going downhill most of the way? I took a snap of my one of my personal best which is 50.2 after about 160 miles with the cruise set to 60. I've actually gotten it to 52 making the same drive without the AC on.

The absolute BEST mod you can make it to modify your driving habits; drive slower and at a constant speed. Coast up to lights, as using your brakes is wasted energy. Accelerate slowly. Yeah I'm no fun to drive with, but I mostly do it because it makes no difference; everyone rushes up to the red lights and I coast there for 30 seconds. I timed it and my morning 18 mile commute takes 31 minutes if I drive like a grandpa and 30 minutes if I drive like a maniac. Traffic and ways catches up with you.
    Roadcourse likes this.
    2013 Civic Si sedan PMM

K24Z7 Crew Member #717
    9th Civic POP Crew #717

Kev's Build Thread
    Hidden Content

at least those drivers won! i really think they think they accomplished something amazing by racing to the next red light. i feel as if they would give themselves a pat on the back for doing so. i've wanted to follow one of those people into a store...and follow them around, up until the checkout, then 'race' them to the line and just get there before they do. then, mutter the words: 'Yes, i won'. if they ask, i'll just say, it's exactly what you did out there on the road.
    DaJimmer likes this.
    hiding from those who might be looking for me

POP Crew #61

2014 Black EX
    20% Global Tint
    Curt 1 1/4" receiver
    Weathertech In-channel visors

Hidden Content

What ever improved aero will come out of lowering a civic, the fuel savings would probably take centuries to pay off the cost of even basic lowering springs. Might as well custom fab underbody cladding at that point.

You're probably not going to find an intake better for fuel economy than the stock box, especially on the stock tune designed for that box. As others have suggested, start with lightening rotational mass.

But isn't the point of fuel thriftiness supposed to be to save money? Not sure i understand the purpose of spending hundreds to thousands of dollars in order to trim a couple bucks off your annual fuel costs.
    scottyrocks likes this.
    2013 DBP Si Coupe

Nooblets
    Quote Originally Posted by Squidward View Post
    What ever improved aero will come out of lowering a civic, the fuel savings would probably take centuries to pay off the cost of even basic lowering springs. Might as well custom fab underbody cladding at that point.

You're probably not going to find an intake better for fuel economy than the stock box, especially on the stock tune designed for that box. As others have suggested, start with lightening rotational mass.

But isn't the point of fuel thriftiness supposed to be to save money? Not sure i understand the purpose of spending hundreds to thousands of dollars in order to trim a couple bucks off your annual fuel costs.
    I was thinking exactly this. I did a little cost comparison when I was buying my Civic. It was between this 40 mpg Civic and a different 35 mpg car. Over 170,000 miles the gas savings would be about $1500. That's $300 per mpg, over the course of 9 or 10 years would be like a $30 savings per year per mpg.

Maybe lowering the car would give you a 2 mpg increase, and if it cost you $2000 you'd have to drive that car 425,000 miles just to break even (read: break even, meaning you havent saved a single penny yet). That's not even including the extra cost of low profile tires (if you count that, you'll probably never break even).

Baned
    There should be a hypermiler thread or two around here.

I got lightweight wheels and honestly I don't notice much difference. Maybe couple lightweight wheels with low rolling resistance tires and you might see some difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Squidward View Post

2013 Civic Si sedan PMM

K24Z7 Crew Member #717
    9th Civic POP Crew #717

Kev's Build Thread
    Hidden Content

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)