Gas Saving Modifications
  1. Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation – General discussion forum for 9th Gen Civic

Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation - a website dedicated to all things 9th Gen Civic.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join 9th Gen Civic today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Gas Saving Modifications

Gas Saving Modifications

Are there any modifications out there for better gas mileage that anyone has done for their 9th gen hybrid? For example, aero mods, wieght reduction, etc.? I don't want do install a boat tail on my car, just interested in any ideas.

2. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

The HF has underbody panels to help. I don't know if the hybrid has them, but folks with the LX/EX Civics were putting them on. I have a suspicion they are already on the hybrid model.
    bluestar gave me the clap.

K24Z7 Crew Member #11
    HFP Crew Member #11

2012 Honda Civic Si Coupe - Crystal Black Pearl
    2014 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road - Barcelona Red

X83
    • Drive more efficiently
    • Remove access weight
    • Lower the vehicle
    • Install low resistance tires
    • Keep the tires properly inflated
    • Fill the tires with nitrogen
    • Install a rear lip spoiler
    • Use 0W20 fully synthetic oil
    • Change the engine air filter more frequently

5. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

X83
    Quote Originally Posted by FooBird View Post
    The HF has underbody panels to help. I don't know if the hybrid has them, but folks with the LX/EX Civics were putting them on. I have a suspicion they are already on the hybrid model.
    I checked all the part numbers for the HF under body panels and it appears as if my 2013 LX sedan has all of them installed. I believe it's just the narrower wheels & LRR tires with the rear lip spoiler addition that are different.

Quote Originally Posted by X83 View Post
    I checked all the part numbers for the HF under body panels and it appears as if my 2013 LX sedan has all of them installed. I believe it's just the narrower wheels & LRR tires with the rear lip spoiler addition that are different.
    Maybe they also addressed that with the '13. Hmmm. Nice to know.
    bluestar gave me the clap.

K24Z7 Crew Member #11
    HFP Crew Member #11

2012 Honda Civic Si Coupe - Crystal Black Pearl
    2014 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road - Barcelona Red

Use lighter rims. Don't use the accessories like A/C or defrosters, lowering a window a 1/2 inch helps the windows from fogging up. The whole idea of the Hybrid is to lower the engine loads at low speeds but it takes energy to charge the batteries. Use higher octane gas to lean the A/F at higher engine loads. Get a good reader to see what the ecu is doing, this way you can see what works or don't.
    Digger likes this.
    Civic POP Crew #3

Greenhorn

Any mpg mods?

Yo I recently picked up a 2015 Civic lx and have been loving the mpgs. So far the highest single trip mpg is 59 and I usually average around 43 per tank. I was thinking are there any mods to improve fuel efficiency further? I was thinking lowering it some might help airflow and perhaps an intake too but besides that im not sure. Any suggestions, thanks!

my 17" honda accord plug in wheel, even with 225/45-17 summer tires, i was able to increase my mpg from 26mpg to 32mpg, and on long distance hwy driving, i can top off 37mpg

Low rolling resistance tires like Bridgestone Ecopias mounted on lightweight rims will help. Lowering the car will also help as less air will pass under it. A catless downpipe and straight perforated core muffler may or may not help depending on the cam tuning. On my DOHC Neons that had 0 cam overlap, it helped as the exhaust gases had a easier time getting out of the engine by themselves without sucking fresh air/fuel mixture out at the same time or creating much resistance for the pistons upward movement on the exhaust stroke.. On my Mazda KLZE V6, it didn't did shit MPG wise but damn in was more snappy!

Marko!!
    New project -> TORQUEYvic!
    ...gotta remember the Shoebox!! It won't be forgotten!! (08SSM GD3 Fit!)

Marto Legend! SOH6 and C*CKtails!
    Le **** Bulletin FM!! Des nouvelles pas full importantes qui permettent de savoir quelques affaires pour combler une discution avec une fille en attendant de s'ammuser avec cette même fille, dans un Motel!

Truck? What truck?! scottyrocks's Avatar
    If you're not already using 93 octane fuel, give it a try for a few tankfuls. Either way, 59 mpg is phenomenal, as is a 43 average.
    'Three pedals or bust!'
    'Come for the cars. Stay for the people.'
    'Part of having the right to free speech is knowing when to not exercise it.'
    ‘Say what you mean, mean what you say, but don’t say it mean.’
    9th Gen Civic POP Crew #6 Hidden Content
    9th Gen Civic LI Crew#1 Hidden Content

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)