Fuel tank size?
  1. Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation – General discussion forum for 9th Gen Civic

Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation - a website dedicated to all things 9th Gen Civic.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join 9th Gen Civic today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Fuel tank size?

fill up....gas tank ques

hi everyone,

i recently noticed that when i was filling up the nozzle stopped but i was still able to fit in an extra 6 liters.......im thinking i probably shouldnt have kept going......anyways, anyone know if it is okay to fill up more than when it stops on its own?
    Digger likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

6 liters (1.5 gallons for us in the states) seems a bit much to go in after the automatic shutoff, but I'd say as long as there's not a puddle under your car there's no problem with topping off. Someone might have a different opinion, but I don't think there's a bad spot where the fuel could be going.
    Digger likes this.

Probably ok.... IMO as well.

5. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Big Pimping!!! stringfellowhawke's Avatar
    You should be fine as long as you dont top it off to the point where the gas is almost coming out and overflowing, but wouldnt make a habit of topping off. I did find this. "Extra room in the gas tank is needed for the gasoline to expand. Topping off can cause the extra gas to overflow into your vehicle’s vapor collection system. Best case scenario is that you’ve wasted more gas, worst case scenario is that you have fouled up your car’s vapor system. The fuel in the vapor collection systems will also cause your car to run much less efficiently, another waste of fuel and money."
    Krayjee likes this.
    2012 Honda Civic LX
    Dyno Blue Pearl

Ado
    I always top my car off, rarely (but occasionally) to the point that it overflows a little. Five bucks says the pressure discharge is just a check valve, which a few drops of liquid gasoline wouldn't hurt any more than the gasoline vapor that normally discharges through it.
    Digger likes this.

9thgen's Official E-thug CivicMx's Avatar
    why do you need to fill up your tank so much... i always fill mine 3/4 of the way... the car feels too heavy when is all filled up
    CiViCMX | 9thNorthEast Crew Member #001 | K24Z7 Crew Member #617

Join 9thNorthEast here:
    Hidden Content

Fuel tank size?

Hey everyone. I am at a bit of a conundrum here, as my fuel tank is acting... weird. In the manual, it states that the Civic LX has a 13.2 gallon tank, however whenever I fill up, the max I can hit is maybe 11.5 when it hits automatic shutoff. Now, each time I have filled up, my tank empty light is on, so I know I'm nearing the end (at about 15-25 miles left on the iMID). Where is the extra ~2 gallons? I know of some cars having a reservoir for a little extra gas, but I'm not sure if there's an imbalance somewhere or whatnot. Thanks for any insight provided.

2014 January FB2/FB6 ROTM Marchael's Avatar
    That is a bit odd. Maybe that two or so gal is like a buffer, space to prevent overflow maybe?, iunno. But maybe. Im also gonna see how mine is too cuz i have an lx ready to pump again.
    2012 Taffeta White LX Sedan
    Member ID: 926
    FB2 Squad #22
    R18 Crew #549

MY GARAGE
    Hidden Content

2014 FB2/FB6 JANUARY ROTM Winner
    2013 FB2/FG3 JANUARY ROTM Winner

Must be reserve gas. Trust me, when your computer hits 0 miles left your car is not out of gas. I've taken it way pass that and didn't get stranded. I wouldn't push it though. Do not drive more than 40 miles after your computer tells you that your out-of-gas.

Banned
    ~2 gallons are on reserve, which is why filling up tops off at ~11 gallons instead of ~13 gallons. More information can most likely be found in the owner's manual.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)