Rising Cost Of Fuel Vs Public Transportation - Page 2
  1. Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation – General discussion forum for 9th Gen Civic

Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation - a website dedicated to all things 9th Gen Civic.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join 9th Gen Civic today!

Poll: Would you pay more for a fuel-efficient car?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Rising Cost Of Fuel Vs Public Transportation

^ I agree with both. As long as mileage is reasonable no point in driving a calculator around.

It needs to be a balance, an extreme of either side would not work. Pure economy, or pure performance, wouldn't be good for a normal person's daily routine. One because of boredom and lack of character, and the other for lack of useability and conventionality.
    scottyrocks likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by obert View Post
    Yeah I still want a car that drives and feels like a car, not a remote control car
    Or a toaster on wheels
    Waiting for a '13 Honda Civic Si Sedan in Sunburst Orange Pearl (or Dyno Blue Pearl?)
    Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

...oorrrr, the new Acura ILX???... Pass, Civic it is.

Hidden Content "Pain is the weakness that is leaving your body." - Author Unknown

"Wherever you go, there you are." - Author Unknown

I already have one
    "Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage" - Lao Tzu

5. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Considering the current gas prices and the way they have been climbing a fuel-efficient car will end up paying for it's self with all the money you saved. Some people are paying nearly $600-700 monthly for gas with their V6's & V8's, thats just about enough to finance a brand new BMW monthly. If you can spend 1/2 as much or less on gasoline your doing more then good for your wallet.
    Digger likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jdm_fan View Post
    Considering the current gas prices and the way they have been climbing a fuel-efficient car will end up paying for it's self with all the money you saved. Some people are paying nearly $600-700 monthly for gas with their V6's & V8's, thats just about enough to finance a brand new BMW monthly. If you can spend 1/2 as much or less on gasoline your doing more then good for your wallet.
    lol true but depending on what you drive, you have to pay to play. dont by a off road truck or sports car and then complain about gas prices....i love all these guys out here that refi'd all the cash out of their homes to buy these huge trucks and H2's and now they cant even afford to drive them on the weekend! If gas a concern to you then that should definitely be factored in when making a purchase.....right now i spend about $500 a month just daily driving and not included any trips or vacations, and not including gas in my truck.

besides, why pay extra to get better mpg's??? does anyone realize that in 1995 the civic HB was rated at 50 mpg hwy? seriously....now we're down to 39 mpg's because of added size, weight, power, features, etc...... look it up if you dont believe me

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/findacar.htm
    Last edited by Talon; 05-27-2011 at 05:49 PM.
    Hidden Content Go hard or go home, but never go home hardHidden Content

Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content

What Would You Give Up For Higher Gas Mileage? Cash? Features? Safety?

Gas prices are always going up and we can't do anything about it but live within our means and decide what is the better way. Not everyone can afford to drive with the current gas prices. Some drive cars that are far from being fuel efficient & getting horrible MPG numbers. If you had to What Would You Give Up For Higher Gas Mileage?

It happens every time. Gas prices go up sharply, and new car buyers suddenly decide that gas mileage is important--and shop accordingly.

With gas around $4 a gallon in many parts of the country, what would you trade for higher miles per gallon?

Would you pay more? Would you buy a smaller car than your current one?

How about giving up features you'd hoped to have? And what about safety?

Everyone wants more mileage

Six weeks ago, Consumer Reports surveyed 1,750 car owners. Although their cars were now eight years old on average, less than one-fifth of them planned to buy a car in the next year. Of that pool of buyers, six out of 10 were planning to buy used cars rather than new.

When they do finally buy, almost two-thirds of respondents expect their next car to have better gas mileage--and virtually all the rest expected fuel economy to stay the same.

How high do they expect it to go? On average, the respondents said their new car would return 29 miles per gallon. But older drivers, lower-income buyers, and women expected higher fuel economy, and favored sedans and small cars over larger cars and crossover utility vehicles.

Remarkably, more than 10 percent of respondents said they expected their next car to deliver 40 mpg or higher.

40 mpg: still rare

That's a high bar indeed. For the 2011 model year, only four cars on the U.S. market deliver EPA combined mileage of 40 mpg or more, all hybrids: the Honda Civic Hybrid, Honda Insight, Lexus CT 200h, and Toyota Prius. For 2012, the Toyota Prius V wagon is likely to join that list.

There are also three plug-ins, the 2011 Chevrolet Volt, 2011 Nissan Leaf, and the 2011 Smart ForTwo Electric Drive. (There's also the $109,000 Tesla Roadster, but that's hardly a mass-market vehicle.)

More than half the respondents (58 percent) say they will pay more to get a car with higher gas mileage. Just under half (47 percent) would compromise on "size or capacity," and the same (44 percent) for giving up "amenities or comfort."

Safety is paramount

Acceleration is still seemingly important. Only 27 percent would sacrifice performance, and a mere 11 percent were willing to compromise on safety.

That last question is a ringer of sorts, though. Virtually any new car now comes with six or more airbags, traction control, anti-lock brakes, and a host of other electronic safety gear. Crash-test results from the NHTSA and IIHS are widely publicized, and any maker who doesn't score one of the top two ratings will modify future models to ensure they do.

Jeff Bartlett of Consumer Reports points out, however, that in general the most recently redesigned new cars do better on crash tests than models toward the end of their lifespan. So a car that's new for 2012 is likely to be safer than one first introduced in 2008.

Also, he says, for the six out of 10 buyers whose next car will be a used model, they should check safety ratings carefully.

The survey group is slowly moving away from more-economical sedans and toward small and midsize crossover utility vehicles, which are less fuel efficient.

As the report noted, "Men prefer pickup trucks by a wide margin, while women lead small sport-utility vehicle interest."
    source

I could live without some features
    wouldnt compromise on safety
    would pay more if it was what i was looking for
    comfort is a must, my big a** likes room and does not want to be in a sardine can

Quote Originally Posted by creation View Post
    I could live without some features
    wouldnt compromise on safety
    would pay more if it was what i was looking for
    comfort is a must, my big a** likes room and does not want to be in a sardine can

I would give up some performance! I guess I'm rare in that I don't race my Hondas.

I dont race mine either but i do like the car to move when i tell it to

i prefer gasoline, cause it gets better mpg than the hybrid

Hidden Content
    '12 TW EX SEDAN

Click on Following Links for Help:
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)