VSA and ECON effect on mpg and power R18 - Page 10
  1. Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation – General discussion forum for 9th Gen Civic

Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation - a website dedicated to all things 9th Gen Civic.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join 9th Gen Civic today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: VSA and ECON effect on mpg and power R18

Truck? What truck?! scottyrocks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fear24 View Post
    .i'd suggest adding anywhere from 4-7 psi above the recommended pressure stated on the label affixed to your door jamb. not what the tires say on the sidewalls.
    Even with 2 psi over the recommended 32 psi, I have experienced excessive wear in the center of my tire treads. So if the tires wear out prematurely (more pressure on a narrow cross section of the tire means more weight, and faster wear), does that offset the slightly lower mpgs, or is it a wash?

Of course, tire wear doesn't hold the same importance for everyone.

I can only imagine what 7 psi over would do.
    Silver2Coupe likes this.
    'Three pedals or bust!'
    'Come for the cars. Stay for the people.'
    'Part of having the right to free speech is knowing when to not exercise it.'
    ‘Say what you mean, mean what you say, but don’t say it mean.’
    9th Gen Civic POP Crew #6 Hidden Content
    9th Gen Civic LI Crew#1 Hidden Content

2. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by AndyMac204 View Post
    i know its not a civic, but with my 2015 honda fit cvt, i was getting better fuel mileage with the econ button off. seemed i would need more gas to get up to speed so maybe that affected it. i went from 4.9 L/100km in my fit to (so far my best) 7.4 L/100 km with the 15 si.
    I think its a CVT issue with the econ. My 12 Civic I would use the econ and get an average of 47 mpg most of the summer and broke 51 a few times.I just used premium gas with Honda oil and used econ with traction control on. When I started this thread it was with the 12 Civic. My 15 Civic I would turn off the traction control under windy conditions and I never really turned on the econ.

I have a ultra gauge and never seen a difference with econ on or off with the CVT but traction control I seen a leaner fuel trim with it on but better control of the throttle with it off with more timing. There is too many variables to pick on just one even a weak battery can effect mpg. Premium gas allows the engine to run MBT timing further in the rpm and load ranges. MBT timing will use the least amount of fuel at the most torque it can produce at that rpm. I use premium gas but its because of all the high speed highway driving I do.

Econ just slows the throttle response down and cycles the A/C and maybe slow the charge which lowers engine loads but I think learning how to use your foot is better to control mpg. I would also rev it higher at times and I do not try to get the best mpg all the time either about 25 % of the time I try to get better mpg.
    Civic POP Crew #3

Quote Originally Posted by scottyrocks View Post
    Even with 2 psi over the recommended 32 psi, I have experienced excessive wear in the center of my tire treads. So if the tires wear out prematurely (more pressure on a narrow cross section of the tire means more weight, and faster wear), does that offset the slightly lower mpgs, or is it a wash?

Of course, tire wear doesn't hold the same importance for everyone.

I can only imagine what 7 psi over would do.
    In my Fit I would run 38 psi and it wore out the centers. The back tires need less air because they just skim the road. As the tires heat up the psi goes up too so in the winter you would want to add a few pounds more so you are not running low tire pressure when the deep cold hit but tire pressures need to be adjusted when going into spring and summer.
    scottyrocks likes this.
    Civic POP Crew #3

5. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Silver2Coupe View Post
    I don't think that mpg is bad under those conditions. Your motor never gets up to temperature. It take me 20 minutes of driving or 8 miles for my Civic to get fully warmed up even in the summer. You can try to change the air cleaner and fill up with top tier gas but don't expect a huge difference in mpg. You should also take at least a 30 minute highway drive once a week and do not be afraid to do some full throttle sprints to Decarbon the motor. Premium will help but don't expect my mpg.
    Just to update you on this. Last fill up I added a can of Techron to the tank. Just filled up again and mileage was up to 29.9 from last fill. Of course, the temps around here also went from 10-30˚ to 45-70˚ so that could have helped things along too. Will see if it holds up like this over the next couple of months.
    Ever since the advent of "smart phones", we aren't any smarter any more... we just know how to find it faster.

Gas stations may of also switched from winter gas to summer gas which does make a noticeable difference in MPG.

Quote Originally Posted by magillaonfire View Post
    Just to update you on this. Last fill up I added a can of Techron to the tank. Just filled up again and mileage was up to 29.9 from last fill. Of course, the temps around here also went from 10-30˚ to 45-70˚ so that could have helped things along too. Will see if it holds up like this over the next couple of months.
    2013 Civic Si sedan PMM

K24Z7 Crew Member #717
    9th Civic POP Crew #717

Kev's Build Thread
    Hidden Content

Truck? What truck?! scottyrocks's Avatar
    Yes, in order to get any meaningful data you have to limit changes to variables to one at a time. Then take readings and change another variable.
    'Three pedals or bust!'
    'Come for the cars. Stay for the people.'
    'Part of having the right to free speech is knowing when to not exercise it.'
    ‘Say what you mean, mean what you say, but don’t say it mean.’
    9th Gen Civic POP Crew #6 Hidden Content
    9th Gen Civic LI Crew#1 Hidden Content

I have been driving a all wheel drive HRV with the R18 motor. I filled up at a corporate owned BP station the last filled up. 7 gallons ultimate. It had 25 mpg driving home. Got to work this morning and the mpg was 35.5 mpg. This motor is so economical that I just might beat my best Civic mpg.

I thought my mpg would jump on the ride home but it remained the same. I was driving in a cross wind and had to turn off the traction control to maintain better control. I hardly have to press on the gas and still have plenty of power to pass. The main thing is to experiment with econ and traction control using the highest octane quality you can afford. It took me 3-1/2 tanks of premium to get a 8 mpg gain which pays the difference and it's not even that warm yet. Lights and heat are still being used too.

What I noticed is all Honda vehicles drive similar. There is a paper I have that explains the octane requirement for a 10.5 stock motor is 111 Ron fuel to be knock free and able to run at max torque. The difference between 91 and 98 Ron octane is about 30 plus percent in torque and fuel enrichnment. The new DI motors are different but still benefit.
    Civic POP Crew #3

Quote Originally Posted by kev604 View Post
    Gas stations may of also switched from winter gas to summer gas which does make a noticeable difference in MPG.
    Stations around here (Pittsburgh, PA) don't start selling "cleaner gas" until around June (at least that's what the labels on the pumps say). Don't really know when the "changeover" from winter blend to summer blend occurs though.
    Ever since the advent of "smart phones", we aren't any smarter any more... we just know how to find it faster.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)