VSA and ECON effect on mpg and power R18 - Page 2
  1. Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation – General discussion forum for 9th Gen Civic

Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation - a website dedicated to all things 9th Gen Civic.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join 9th Gen Civic today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: VSA and ECON effect on mpg and power R18

Well my experiment started off fine until I got to the highway. The TPMS light came on again from a problem valve and the VSA turn on when that happens and wont turn off again until the light is off. I added the air in the tire while putting on my work boots.

I filled up after work at Shell and reset everything and drove home which I was further to the highway. I drove with both the VSA and ECON off. The temps out side was 14 degrees and usually have about a 8 degree difference in intake temps but the temps where 27 degrees at 60 mph. Timing was also 31/33 degrees. The fuel trims when about 2 percent leaner from normal. Short term and Long term fuel trims are in percentages so a 10 long term is 10 percent more fuel. With the lights and heat on there are too many variables but with the ECON off and VSA with a full tank my iMid now reads 43 mpg and a range is at 560 miles which is higher than I got all winter and that would be with my 60/40 highway. On a flat part of the highway at 60 mph I turned on the ECON at the timing went up to 36 but started to fall and the fuel trims went to 10.3 normally what I see. Then I threw on the VSA and about a mile the timing was 28 degrees from 31/33 so I think there is a learn curve and yes I would say there is more timing with the VSA off. I also noticed that both fuel trims at cruise both off were the same compared to 1 being higher. I cant wait for the drive to work tomorrow with no lights on but expecting snow so I might have to wait a few days.
    Jamis, jkeis862, kev604 and 2 others like this.
    Civic POP Crew #3

2. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

After a full day with the VSA and ECON off I have a some observations. It snowed last night and expecting snow tonight again up to 4 inches so my goal is to keep the mpg. I noticed the car responds better but easier to go past 70 percent engine loads. Its still adjusting but I am getting 40 mpg on the iMid and that is at least 3 mpg better under the same conditions. If I get better that 36 mpg this tank it is a success. I also noticed because of the better throttle response I can coast up to a light better giving better mpg. I do see more timing and it shows in the mpg. Last week was warmer and I could not get better than 36 mpg so after this snow storm and warmer temps on Friday I should see the difference and gains. I should easily get 50 mpg on a tank this summer. Its driving like my Gen 8 Civic now but seeing different readings on the UG.
    jkeis862 likes this.
    Civic POP Crew #3

I have a question for you Silver, or anybody who knows. Since the 2014 models now have a CVT (and I know very little about this type of transmission), how does the ECON mode help with such a transmission? Does it benefit in anyway besides regulating the A/C and throttle response? I can't see it altering the CVT since it is already more fuel efficient correct? Just my brain doing some thinking.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
    Silver2Coupe likes this.
    Instagram: @ jkeis862

'9th Gen Civic LI Crew #21'
    Hidden Content

5. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by jkeis862 View Post
    I have a question for you Silver, or anybody who knows. Since the 2014 models now have a CVT (and I know very little about this type of transmission), how does the ECON mode help with such a transmission? Does it benefit in anyway besides regulating the A/C and throttle response? I can't see it altering the CVT since it is already more fuel efficient correct? Just my brain doing some thinking.

Dont know any thing about the CVT but on the Fit they are having problems with trans shutter and poorer mpg but that could be because of lower torque of that engine. I would like to of seen Honda come out with a automatic manual with a paddle shift. I see more of a difference running premium than the econ. Combined there is no difference in my car and don't know how it would effect a CVT but we will find out within a few years I'm sure.
    scottyrocks and jkeis862 like this.
    Civic POP Crew #3

Quote Originally Posted by Silver2Coupe View Post
    Dont know any thing about the CVT but on the Fit they are having problems with trans shutter and poorer mpg but that could be because of lower torque of that engine. I would like to of seen Honda come out with a automatic manual with a paddle shift. I see more of a difference running premium than the econ. Combined there is no difference in my car and don't know how it would effect a CVT but we will find out within a few years I'm sure.
    Yes I agree that would have been fun! But no worries as stick will be the way to go after I move out hooray! I'm really mixed with the ECON button, but today wasn't a good day to test it as I sat in a ton of traffic ("Traffic Tuesday"). The premium gasoline has helped in more ways than one and I'm happy to have made the switch as the increase in MPG's have outweighed the cost. I never fail to get below 350 miles on a tank. The I-MID always starts at 400 miles when I fill her up. Yes, I'm really interested to hear how the CVT does. Not my cup of tea though.

Silver2Coupe and scottyrocks like this.
    Instagram: @ jkeis862

'9th Gen Civic LI Crew #21'
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by jkeis862 View Post
    Yes I agree that would have been fun! But no worries as stick will be the way to go after I move out hooray! I'm really mixed with the ECON button, but today wasn't a good day to test it as I sat in a ton of traffic ("Traffic Tuesday"). The premium gasoline has helped in more ways than one and I'm happy to have made the switch as the increase in MPG's have outweighed the cost. I never fail to get below 350 miles on a tank. The I-MID always starts at 400 miles when I fill her up. Yes, I'm really interested to hear how the CVT does. Not my cup of tea though.

Here is something that might help you understand CVT. CONTINUOUSLY VARIABLE TRANSMISSION DEVICE - Patent application

Today I got stuck in a snow storm on the way to work and it took 1.5 hours which is more than twice as long. I still have 500 mile range and 60/40 City with a average speed of 28 mph and 140 miles so that is 5 hours of engine time. I am at 36 mpg now with over 2/3 of a tank. Its still cold and had the defrosters.lights and rear window defrosters most of this tank so far. I thought maybe they are changing fuel to summer grade but that is a few weeks away still. I have been driving with the VSA and Econ off even during the snow storm. No tire spin and car feels lighter. The weather is changing so no other numbers on timing but seeing more. Fuel trims are back to 10.56. Barometric pressure is 29.5 which is higher than normal. The only thing I dont like is its easier get the blue light with little pressure on the pedal but no real change in mpg.
    Civic POP Crew #3

Apparently different people have different experiences with ECON. I've tested it enough in many trips between Colunbia and Greenville SC going both ways to know that with me in my car I get two to three mpg with it on than with it off. It doesn't give quite as good results in the city for me. I like it and believe that consistent foot discipline has a lot to do with mileage.
    Silver2Coupe and scottyrocks like this.
    Question authority.

Only the knife knows what goes on in the heart of the pumpkin......unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Roadcourse View Post
    Apparently different people have different experiences with ECON. I've tested it enough in many trips between Colunbia and Greenville SC going both ways to know that with me in my car I get two to three mpg with it on than with it off. It doesn't give quite as good results in the city for me. I like it and believe that consistent foot discipline has a lot to do with mileage.
    All my mpg up to now is with the Econ on and VSA on. I know there is a advantage with the econ on under certain conditions. I believe it makes the car act like its on premium mpg wise. My goal is to see if there is a difference but the weather is not consistent enough but I can hit the same mpg or better with it off too. The test right now is since its still winter what is the mpg going to be at the end of this week. It started out with arctic cold and then snow so it would be similar to the winter pattern Ive been in all winter. Its going to warm up later in the week which would be be the same of 2 weeks ago. I have to see within two weeks before they switch to semi summer grade fuel.
    Civic POP Crew #3

Pit of mens fears and the summit of his imagination
    My MPG increased .5 over 2 days and 18 miles after turning econ on.BTW my daily drive is only 5-6 miles.VSA also on.
    2012 SI CBP,HPS intake tube,K&N drop in filter,Weathertech Digital fit mats,Yo speed sill protection,JDM Carbon Fiber cooling plate,JDM Carbon fiber engine cover,Continental Extreme Contact tires.RV6 Catted downpipe,Q300 catback,Flash Pro etuned by VitViper.
    9th gen pop crew#164

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by GHOSTMONKY View Post
    My MPG increased .5 over 2 days and 18 miles after turning econ on.BTW my daily drive is only 5-6 miles.VSA also on.
    So your doing the opposite of me but you have short trips right? Which is great. My fuelly is with both on so I already have numbers.

I know there is a advantage for both but I am trying to figure that out. Turning them off and on when conditions warrant them for the best mpg. Datalogging would sure help make this easier.
    Civic POP Crew #3

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)