VSA and ECON effect on mpg and power R18 - Page 3
  1. Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation – General discussion forum for 9th Gen Civic

Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation - a website dedicated to all things 9th Gen Civic.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join 9th Gen Civic today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: VSA and ECON effect on mpg and power R18

Pit of mens fears and the summit of his imagination
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver2Coupe View Post
    So your doing the opposite of me but you have short trips right? Which is great. My fuelly is with both on so I already have numbers.

I know there is a advantage for both but I am trying to figure that out. Turning them off and on when conditions warrant them for the best mpg. Datalogging would sure help make this easier.
    Yea flash pro has dataloging and its pretty.I actually have datalogs from my 8th gen R18.
    2012 SI CBP,HPS intake tube,K&N drop in filter,Weathertech Digital fit mats,Yo speed sill protection,JDM Carbon Fiber cooling plate,JDM Carbon fiber engine cover,Continental Extreme Contact tires.RV6 Catted downpipe,Q300 catback,Flash Pro etuned by VitViper.
    9th gen pop crew#164

Hidden Content

2. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by GHOSTMONKY View Post
    Yea flash pro has dataloging and its pretty.I actually have datalogs from my 8th gen R18.
    The ecu in the 9th is total different than the 8th. The 8th I would know where the tune was and going too, but the 9th it is constantly changing with broader measurements readings. So they both are adaptive but the 9th has more adjustments and that does not include the VSA or Econ. Even the map sensor which is the barometric pressure reading is twice a wide as the 8th. So there is more control the range so far on the 9th is 28.5 to 29.5 and the 8th was 28.8 to 29.2 . When you see the fuel trims the same its optimized for that condition.
    scottyrocks likes this.
    Civic POP Crew #3

Quote Originally Posted by Silver2Coupe View Post
    The ecu in the 9th is total different than the 8th. The 8th I would know where the tune was and going too, but the 9th it is constantly changing with broader measurements readings. So they both are adaptive but the 9th has more adjustments and that does not include the VSA or Econ. Even the map sensor which is the barometric pressure reading is twice a wide as the 8th. So there is more control the range so far on the 9th is 28.5 to 29.5 and the 8th was 28.8 to 29.2 . When you see the fuel trims the same its optimized for that condition.
    Sounds like the 9th ECU has been improved compared to the 8th.True?Whats a average AFR at WOT and just cruising?
    2012 SI CBP,HPS intake tube,K&N drop in filter,Weathertech Digital fit mats,Yo speed sill protection,JDM Carbon Fiber cooling plate,JDM Carbon fiber engine cover,Continental Extreme Contact tires.RV6 Catted downpipe,Q300 catback,Flash Pro etuned by VitViper.
    9th gen pop crew#164

Hidden Content

5. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Sounds like the 9th ECU has been improved compared to the 8th.True?Whats a average AFR at WOT and just cruising?
    The thing is there is correction maps that are added to the original map so its constantly changing and that is why there wont be a flashpro for the 9th R18. When I dynoed Fit in the past it would read 14.2 A/F through out the rpm and that was with premium and is a little too lean but still safe in my opinion because nothing happened to the engine. They finally came out with a tuner for that car and with a little help of a friend that explained even with premium there was still knock and that running regular seen 8 to 10 degrees timing retard which would be the 1 to 1.5 timing per octane I am always saying. Both my Fit and 8th Civic got the same mpg. The 9th I am getting 10/20 percent better.
    Civic POP Crew #3

VSA and ECON effect on mpg and power R18-imageuploadedbyag-free1394078105.559922.jpgVSA and ECON effect on mpg and power R18-imageuploadedbyag-free1394078378.534624.jpg

This is a calibration from a r18 8th gen.Do the fuel tables change differently then this on the 9th r18?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
    Silver2Coupe likes this.
    9th gen pop crew#164

Hidden Content

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByAG Free1394078105.559922.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	126.1 KB 
ID:	163169Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByAG Free1394078378.534624.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	108.6 KB 
ID:	163177

This is a calibration from a r18 8th gen.Do the fuel tables change differently then this on the 9th r18?

Thanks for sharing. Those are open loop maps and setup for Max torque fuel and Hp at the end. That is after the tune or is that stock? I am sure I am not running that rich with the mpg I am getting.
    Civic POP Crew #3

VSA and ECON effect on mpg and power R18

This is how its listed in calibration on a 8th flash pro for the R18 that represents the fuel maps.I would guess the 9th map might be different.
    Fuel low
    Fuel High
    WOT lambda adjustment low
    WOT lambda adjustment high
    Cranking fuel
    Closed loop.
    That's a 8th 9th r18 might be segmented differently.Just a observation.
    Last edited by GHOSTMONKY; 03-06-2014 at 05:34 PM.
    Silver2Coupe likes this.
    9th gen pop crew#164

Hidden Content

This is how its listed in calibration on a 8th flash pro for the R18 that represents the fuel maps.I would guess the 9th map might be different.
    Fuel low
    Fuel High
    WOT lambda adjustment low
    WOT lambda adjustment high
    Cranking fuel
    Closed loop.
    That's a 8th 9th r18 might be segmented differently.Just a observation.
    I am sure those maps are in the 9th generation R18 ecus. But been reading that in order to meet more stringent emissions and mpg requirements they had to add more control to the fuel,timing and EGR to have better engine load control. This would make the motor more efficient for both emissions and mpg. I am seeing a bigger barometric,timing and fuel swings with more EGR than the 8th. I also noticed that the timing goes down with more pedal because then more fuel is added and then the EGR goes up. I also noticed less air through the intake 12 parts compared to 19 on the 8th.

There is also more correction maps with the ability to relearn and constantly changing. I guess at WOT you could tune but the throttle only opens 90 percent fully open anyways and even if you could change that its still in the ecu range of operation.
    scottyrocks likes this.
    Civic POP Crew #3

After a week of mixed weather I am at a 1/2 tank and the iMId says 37 mpg with the VSA and Econ off up 2 from the last 2 weeks. The fuel trims have leaned out more than I ever seen in this car. I am starting to think there is way more ethanol in the gas around here.

The UG says 39 mpg and that is at 50/50 driving.
    scottyrocks likes this.
    Civic POP Crew #3

Hello Civic people. I've noticed better fuel economy when my Traction Control is turned off on my 2013 SI. I average 27.8 driving city and highway. I drive spirited. Can this be possible? I've tried driving the car with the Traction Control turned on and the mpg is lower by 4 mpg

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)