VSA and ECON effect on mpg and power R18
  1. Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation – General discussion forum for 9th Gen Civic

Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation - a website dedicated to all things 9th Gen Civic.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join 9th Gen Civic today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: VSA and ECON effect on mpg and power R18

VSA and ECON effect on mpg and power R18

I have been experimenting with the VSA and ECON to see what happens. I will be updating with numbers as I see them under different conditions. So far I have seen some promising results with better mpg and better shifting with both off . I noticed more timing but the weather is really cold and by the end of the week it should warm up. I started the car today to move it to shovel and the short fuel trims were low but climbed to the long term fuel trims. Before it would just start at the long fuel trim when it warmed up enough to operate which is different. I have noticed a few degree of timing added when I turned off the VSA and firmer shifts almost chirping the tires. I am expecting my fuel trims to lean out and seeing more timing over all conditions which means its more efficient.

I use BP premium and regular Honda bulk 0w20 oil. I have a lifetime with 73 fillups of 40.1 mpg and the best of 48.9 twice in the summer all with the ECON and VSA on.
    Roadcourse, scottyrocks and kev604 like this.
    Civic POP Crew #3

2. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Pit of mens fears and the summit of his imagination
    I look forward to seeing your results.Can we post VSA questions about power delivery here also?
    Silver2Coupe likes this.
    2012 SI CBP,HPS intake tube,K&N drop in filter,Weathertech Digital fit mats,Yo speed sill protection,JDM Carbon Fiber cooling plate,JDM Carbon fiber engine cover,Continental Extreme Contact tires.RV6 Catted downpipe,Q300 catback,Flash Pro etuned by VitViper.
    9th gen pop crew#164

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by GHOSTMONKY View Post
    I look forward to seeing your results.Can we post VSA questions about power delivery here also?
    Yes and any results you may notice when you experiment.
    scottyrocks likes this.
    Civic POP Crew #3

5. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

We all know what the VSA/Traction control can do by design but what affect does it have when its not doing what its designed to do?Full traction situations and so on.It would be interesting to somehow monitor the engines AFR and timing with the VSA turned on then the same turned off.Looks like Im gonna have to hook up my Scan Gauge.
    Silver2Coupe and koni like this.
    2012 SI CBP,HPS intake tube,K&N drop in filter,Weathertech Digital fit mats,Yo speed sill protection,JDM Carbon Fiber cooling plate,JDM Carbon fiber engine cover,Continental Extreme Contact tires.RV6 Catted downpipe,Q300 catback,Flash Pro etuned by VitViper.
    9th gen pop crew#164

Hidden Content

We all know what the VSA/Traction control can do by design but what affect does it have when its not doing what its designed to do?Full traction situations and so on.It would be interesting to somehow monitor the engines AFR and timing with the VSA turned on then the same turned off.Looks like Im gonna have to hook up my Scan Gauge.
    I have a Ultra Gauge and I do not AFR directly but do get fuel trims, and O2 voltage. I also see the throttle position with 2 inputs throttle pedal and throttle body. The throttle body can be open compared to the throttle pedal being pushed. I noticed that with premium gasoline will require less pedal but the throttle will open as conditions are needed.
    Civic POP Crew #3

Oops I meant Ultra Gauge
    9th gen pop crew#164

Hidden Content

Oops I meant Ultra Gauge
    I thought you had a UG. I just wish it had some logging so it would be easier to compare.
    Civic POP Crew #3

Silver recently I have noticed that my MPG's have been improving with half a tank left! It's happened with the last 3 consecutive tanks using the same gas and everything. Most of my driving is highway I would say 70/30.

I tried turning off the VSA and I did notice a difference the car is definitely a lot more "peppier" shall I say. I only turn the ECON on when I'm driving on the highway for an extended period of time and I have the A/C on and it definitely helps with MPG's when used on the highway (I can't say about the city since I don't use it in the city).

Just what I have noticed folks.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
    Roadcourse and Silver2Coupe like this.
    Instagram: @ jkeis862

'9th Gen Civic LI Crew #21'
    Hidden Content

I just want to add I will be leaving the VSA on when driving on snow or ice and the econ does work better in the city than highway. I also noticed the engine sounded different and I cant wait for the weather to warm up. Its 0 out right now.
    Civic POP Crew #3

I do the same in the snow the VSA really makes a difference.But my Econ is always off maybe I will leave it in for a tank or 2.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
    Silver2Coupe likes this.
    9th gen pop crew#164

Hidden Content

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)