switching from 87 to 91 - Page 2
  1. Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation – General discussion forum for 9th Gen Civic

Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation - a website dedicated to all things 9th Gen Civic.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join 9th Gen Civic today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: switching from 87 to 91

Quote Originally Posted by neoison View Post
    I have a 2013 Civic Si, totally stock.. I have always used 87 fuel now at 6000 miles and average 31.7mpg.. My wife has a 2013 Civic ex sedan and averages 28mpg.. Go figure..
    The SI requires premium and using regular might be OK for the short term but long term it will cost you. Premium would also help your wife's car too.
    Civic POP Crew #3

2. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Car Care Ambassador
    How are you guys calculating the mpg?

Quote Originally Posted by Jesstzn View Post
    How are you guys calculating the mpg?
    Miles on tank divided by fuel used. Got 42.7 mpg last tank with Econ off for 55/45 Highway. The iMid is off about 2 mpg.
    Spunjer likes this.
    Civic POP Crew #3

5. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Car Care Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver2Coupe View Post
    Miles on tank divided by fuel used. Got 42.7 mpg last tank with Econ off for 55/45 Highway. The iMid is off about 2 mpg.
    Good cuz if you rely on the iMid that's not the way.
    Silver2Coupe likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesstzn View Post
    Good cuz if you rely on the iMid that's not the way.
    It does give you a conservative range but its usually not 100 percent accurate. They have gauges like ultra gauge that shows what the ecu is doing. It really helps me. There are other gauges out but no one talks about them. I've had mine for about 4 years.
    Civic POP Crew #3

on my second tank of 93 (i went to BP), seems like the mpg went down a bit; it's averaging around 32.9-33.1. my Econ is on this time, which i didn't use on my previous fill up. must be the type of terrain i drive to and from work, which is slightly hilly... feedback on this, silver?
    Silver2Coupe likes this.
    2013 Honda Civic EX-L 4 Dr Sedan W/ Navi
    R.I.P. 2004 Honda Accord EX-LHidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Spunjer View Post
    on my second tank of 93 (i went to BP), seems like the mpg went down a bit; it's averaging around 32.9-33.1. my Econ is on this time, which i didn't use on my previous fill up. must be the type of terrain i drive to and from work, which is slightly hilly... feedback on this, silver?
    When econ is on you have to press more on the gas pedal because its slower to respond. Just keep it up and you will a improvement. You also changed brands and there is a difference. I filled up with Shell and already noticed a drop in mpg. Try to stick with the same brand and even station. I filled up at Shell because it was the last station to my house and BP was 5 miles out of my way.
    Spunjer likes this.
    Civic POP Crew #3

Truck? What truck?! scottyrocks's Avatar
    Yes, you have to keep all the variables the same, except the one you are testing, which in this case is the grade. Use the same station, drive the same as you can, and leave any settings, such as lights, heat, AC, and ECON the same both before and after the changeover.

You'll have a tough enough time maintaining accuracy even as the weather changes, so control what you can.
    Silver2Coupe and Spunjer like this.
    'Three pedals or bust!'
    'Come for the cars. Stay for the people.'
    'Part of having the right to free speech is knowing when to not exercise it.'
    ‘Say what you mean, mean what you say, but don’t say it mean.’
    9th Gen Civic POP Crew #6 Hidden Content
    9th Gen Civic LI Crew#1 Hidden Content

and the research cotinues (i'll just write it here so i don't forget, lol):
    marathon - this one was the worst so far. i got 31.8 mpg on their 93 octane
    valero - filled up with this brand right after marathon, and i was pleasantly surprise it gave me the best mpg at this point. 34.8
    right now, i have a exxon. after that, shell....
    2013 Honda Civic EX-L 4 Dr Sedan W/ Navi
    R.I.P. 2004 Honda Accord EX-LHidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Silver2Coupe View Post
    Yes premium gas is better. Try using top Tier BP which is what I use. I have not been using Econ for about 6 tanks now and my mpg is not as consistent but getting around 38-40 mpg 50/50 driving. In the winter I was getting 32/35 mpg but it was the coldest on record. Averaging 40 mpg with 50/50 driving with over 80 fillups. Last tank had a few cold days with snow and warm ups early last week and then just drove the car as hard as I could and got 37 mpg last tank with 50/50. I filled up today and getting 46 mpg just driving normal with no Econ. Econ is worth about 5 percent in mpg which is 2-3 mpg. The R18 will just run regular with out premium but when using premium gas there is a Ivtec with the econ cam that will get up to 25/30 percent better mpg. Using premium in a older car or lower compression motor its worth 5-10 percent in mpg alone but not worth the investment.

The octane of the gas is going up and by late 2015 or early 16 regular will be 94 or 95 ron octane and premium around 100 ron. It wont be R/M method anymore and going back old school. No more mid grade.

Also its good to reset the learned parameters by cleaning codes with out codes. It erases the fuel trims and the learned timing retard is set to default MBT timing and as long as there is no knock it will stay closer to that timing. Knock retard is a learned parameter and with regular it can take out 10 degrees or more which will also lower power and it adds more fuel which gets wasted in heat into the engine cooling system and out the tail pipe. 5 degree timing retard is about 1 percent in torque but after that it drops off faster so 10 degrees might be 5 percent or more torque loss across the board and not a efficient running motor. The more efficient the motor runs the less stressful the engine is when running (coolant,exhaust and even the trans).

The best mpg in a tank I got twice. 48.9 mpg with 60/40 highway with econ on and with premium.
    Why is octane being raised? To get more hp out of little bitty engines?
    Question authority.

Only the knife knows what goes on in the heart of the pumpkin......unknown

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)