9th Gen Civic Forum banner

How often do you check the pressure of your tires?

• Every week or when refueling

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • Every other week

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • Every month

Votes: 18 42.9%
  • Every oil change

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • Whenever the iMid warning comes up

Votes: 14 33.3%
54K views 132 replies 59 participants last post by  scottyrocks 
#1 ·
Went to work last night decided to put Nitrogen in my tires so I checked the tire pressure it was 35 psi the max psi is 44 so I put them at 40 psi. Noticed the ride was a little bit stiffer, is anyone checking their tire pressure to see what they are set at from the dealers.

#36 ·
Meh. The weight of N2 and O2 aren't too much different in weight and molecule size. Plus regular air is roughly 77% N2. Why pay more to get that small fractional weight loss.

#37 ·
Putting nitrogen gives you just a tad bit better gas, true. But you could just put a wing spoiler on making you more aerodynamic which would make you look more snazzy and give you better mileage :pinkcorngrin:

#39 ·
i think the argument was that nitrogen suffers less expansion from heat so tire pressures dont fluctuate as much when their cold or hot.. someone correct me if im wrong

#42 ·
def. more expensive...was curious if it was worth it...havent known anyone that has put it in.... if it saved you enough money to justify cost though... might be worth it....just wonder how long it would take to offset cost

#43 ·
i talked to a Honda dealer mechanic and I asked about the Nitrogen and yes it does suffer less from expansion and such but also apparently you are not supposed to lose air pressure like you do on normal tires after time or at least not as much because apparently the nitrogen molecules are bigger then air molecules or some crap so it is harder for the nitrogen to leak or something. and for 30 bucks a tire i dont think its really worth it just keep and eye on your tire pressure and you will be fine most common safe tire pressure is about 34 to 36 psi

#44 ·
The important part about tire pressure is that not only does it change with driving, but it also varies by ambient temperature.

If you slept in one day and checked your "cold" tire pressure at 2pm when it is 95F out, your tires will be underinflated the next morning at 55F.

Air pressure changes approx 1 psi for every 10 deg of temperature change, and you MUST take that into account.

#45 ·
I've had nitrogen in my Accord for the past two years. I've never had to top it off or deflate them even during summer and winter. My tires have stayed pretty consistent, to within a few psi no matter what the temp. As with anything though, there are pros and cons. I'm getting nitrogen in my new tires for my Civic as well, only because it's "free", although I'm sure they tacked that into the price somewhere lol. IMO, is it cost effective for the benefits received? No. As long as you keep a good eye on your air pressure and have any oxidation removed from your rims whenever you get new tires, it's my opinion using nitrogen will never pay for itself.

#46 ·
The major benefit, if any, of nitrogen is its "inertness". It doesn't react with other materials, like rubber or metal like oxygen does. But does this really matter since the "outside" of your tires is exposed to air? Pure nitrogen is slightly less dense than air (around a few percent), but this difference in actual weight is insignificant. Personally, I don't think the cost of using pure nitrogen is worth the very small benefit that would be received.

#47 ·
Mi Si came with nitrogen from the dealer -- and the valve caps have these "N"s on the tops. The dealer told me the reason is the TPMS is more reliable with nitrogen, doesn't give false alarms the way ambient air with moisture and stuff might. Whatever; it didn't cost me anything. Let's see if they'll top me up for free if I ever need it.

#49 ·
In the U.S at least, the vehicle manufacturer's recommended tire pressure is pretty much always found a label inside the driver door frame. I think the marking on the tire itself is a design limit rating for that tire, not what's going to make your car drive right.

#51 ·
Just a crazy idea, but why not put helium in the tires? It's lighter and if you put enough helium theres a chance you fly away :trollface:

#52 ·
because we would have idiots huffing it out of the tires to get a buzz... i dont need any more work!!!

#53 ·
I put nitrous oxide in mine that way I can put on a NOS sticker.

Actually I also read somewhere that they were coming with Nitrogen from the factory now. Might make sense to do that to avoid potential tpms issues with temperature/pressure fluctuations.

#60 ·
think about it though... Helium is much lighter than any other gas (perfect for you drag racers out there) and if you shed enough weight on the car you might get more air if you hit a speed bump going 60.

#65 ·
PSI for Si Summer Tires?

Hey guys so my tpms went off last night and was going to put air in my tires and I noticed on the Si Summer Tires it said Max load 50psi. Which IMO is a lot. My tire gauge maxes out at 50 psi lol.

On the door for the Si it recommends 32psi. Took it to Costco n they put in 37psi of Nitrogen.

Anyway I'm wondering what you guys set your psi to on your summer tires since I did search and couldn't find much on the subject. especially confused now because of the difference on the tire and on the inside of the door.

thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.