9th Gen Civic Forum banner

Automatic Transmission Fluid Change

48K views 35 replies 22 participants last post by  Teeps 
#1 · (Edited)
Has anyone with a maintenance minder equipped Civic ever gotten an A3 or B3 message? The 3 is calling for a transmission fluid change, but the OM has no documentation on when that might occur. I'm assuming that procedure is a dealer one as the only way to completely change the auto fluid is with a machine. I've done many drain/fill operations on my cars over the years, but that only gets about 50% of the fluid out. I'm wondering what triggers a "3" code from the computer. I'm guessing the ECU does some calculation based on driving habits like the OLM calculation.

#2 ·
I do not know anything about the code. How many miles do you have on your car? I never heard of any Honda that requires 100 per cent removal of all of the transmission fluid. I always felt if it was changed every 30,000 miles with a drain and refill the cars should last form many, many years and miles. I have an 05 Ford F-150 Lariat Crew Cab that I use to pull my boat and I change the ATF in the torque converter and in the pan as well as a new transmission filter. The truck looks like new and has 204,000 miles on it. I always thought a person should be good with the 30,000 mile intervals. I did read where the Honda Civics automatics have a transmission filter. The 9th generation cars are so new that I have not heard a lot about the filters on the transmissions. I wonder if maybe it would require a new transmission filter? I had a 5 speed manual on my 06 coupe therefore the 9th generation is all new to me.

#3 ·
30K ATF changes were a good idea before synthetics and I usually did that. I learned that my '97 Civic EX didn't like synthetics, but I've used Amsoil ATF in my '03 Mazda P5 since 30K miles and it still shifts great at 92K. The last interval on the P5 was 60K and the fluid was nice cherry red with no burnt smell when I drained it out. I believe the Civic inline filter is on top of the transaxle and under the battery tray. IIRC, the filter is made with no connectors and is part of the pipe that connects the transmission with the cooler, so changing it is not like changing an inline fuel filter. Don't know for sure. I'm just looking for anyone that has had the "3" message come up. Of course I still check the dipstick the first of every month to see if there is any change to the ATF fluid as the OM states.

#4 ·
Oh GOD, ATF. Most are fill for life now. All have filters and must due to friction material debris. I know my 06 Accord said 100,000 miles. Yes to do it right need flush/charge machine. Just about every OEM now has their own ATF spec/fluid and critical you use the right stuff. Had magnetic drain plug here too.

#6 ·
These are definitely not a fill for life. Change it at 30,000 miles. I have a 2005 Ford F-150 crew cab that has 204,000 miles on it. The transmission filter and fluid have been changed every 30,000 miles and I pull a large fishing boat with it most of the time. That transmission would have been toast a long time ago if I never serviced it. I changed my 2012 Honda fluid at approximately 36,000 miles and it was previously a Honda lease car. The previous owner told me it had been done at 30,000 but I did it for peace of mind. The previous owner didnt have the service record but said it was on the computer at Honda and the owner was a Honda sales manager.

#7 ·
My dealer put it very simply.

"Drain what will come out every 30k miles and replace it with Honda fluid only. The people that do this don't have transmission problems. The people that don't do this will eventually have transmission problems. 100k miles is too long to leave it in. ".

I've done this on all my AT cars for years and never had problems. Just did it on a Nissan with 211k miles on it. Used OEM fluid. There ya have it. ;)

#10 ·
Good advice all around, but I was looking for someone that has had an A3 or B3 code come up on the iMID to see what their mileage and driving style was. I'm still assuming that there is an ECU calculation that triggers it like the A1 or B1 codes, but it puzzles me on a couple of issues.
1. There is no reset like there is for the OLM.
2. As such, how does the ECU know when the ATF is changed?
3. There is no way to display the life percentage of the ATF, so you know what to expect.

#11 ·
#14 ·
Has anyone with a maintenance minder equipped Civic ever gotten an A3 or B3 message?

The 3 is calling for a transmission fluid change, but the OM has no documentation on when that might occur.
I'm assuming that procedure is a dealer one as the only way to completely change the auto fluid is with a machine.

I've done many drain/fill operations on my cars over the years, but that only gets about 50% of the fluid out.

I'm wondering what triggers a "3" code from the computer.
I'm guessing the ECU does some calculation based on driving habits like the OLM calculation.
Far as I know (I will check with my "guy") there is not and never has been an official "machine" for changing Honda Automatic Transmission Fluid. IMO any ATF fluid machines are a scam.

Agree, 50% if you're lucky.

Good guess; It's an algorithm baked into the PCM, similar to the engine oil life.

#16 ·
Disagree too. ATF like brake fluid flush and fill machines are great. Oxidized oil causes oil to oxidize. Called autocatylitic. And for every 10 degree rise in temp oxidation rate doubles.

#18 ·
There is no percentage for atf or cvt. It all depends on when your next service is due. Example if your at 22k miles and say service will be due around 25k when you hit 15% oil life your maintenance minder wont kick on the 3 service. But if you were at 25k miles and next service is due at 28k miles then it possibly will kick on 3 service. Generally it will always come on at around 30k service. The 3 service would then get reset by resetting the maintenance minder.

#19 ·
Surly there is a member here that has 30K miles on the clock with an automatic.

#21 ·
I'm still gonna keep checking the dipstick every month like I do the engine. It appears that it will be a couple more years before the Maintenance Minder tells me the ATF needs attention. I'll resurrect this thread if MM throws a "3" on the screen.

#22 ·
Has anyone had a A or B3 pop yet? I'm at 72,500kms (bought it at 65,000 kms) and it was serviced at the dealership. They haven't done a tranny fluid change yet, as a 3 hasn't come up. I was going to do it regardless once the nice weather hits. (in the great white north)

Really curious to know how often it calls for it.

#24 ·
Thanks.
I was just wondering if anyone actually had the A3/B3 actually come on, and when it was. No one seems to have had it.
I will be doing mine regardless around 75,000kms (46,000miles) Will do it sooner from now on. I was thinking I'd do it every 50,000 kms (30k miles) after that.

#25 ·
When I went for my recent oil change, the dealer mentioned that the ATF was dirty and needed servicing. They did say it should be done every 30k miles. My car was at around 34k miles. I found out that they do hook it up to the machine instead of drain & refill. I'm not sure if it's just me, but the transmission does seem to shift better than it did before.

That service visit cost me a total of $173.19 for transmission service and oil change (full synthetic oil according to the invoice).

#26 · (Edited)
forget where I read this but apparently the newer honda automatics (non-cvt) are not supposed to be hooked up to a flush machine because it could potentially cause problems. I did a drain & refill in my garage up on ramps. drained out around 2 & 1/2 quarts measured. put back in 2 full, ran the car through all the gears then topped off from there. this was done at 70k miles. the car will probably hit 100k this summer and I will do this procedure again at that time. got the atf @ the dealer. its HG DW-1 and it was pretty cheap, like 6 or 7 bucks a quart. the car has yet to produce the MM code for the transmission service.

Reactions: Jamis
#27 ·
OMG, I searched this site for transmission fluid change and didn't find it so I opened a new thread. The maintenance minder decided that it needs to be done at 54,000+ miles. Reminder to folks: don't use anything except Honda ATF in these. I put Mobil1 ATF in my '97 Civic auto and after 30K miles, it started violently shifting. Honda dealership wanted $4,000 to replace the transmission. Trusted local mechanic told me about the incompatibility and said to do a drain/fill with Honda ATF and then do it again in 3,000 miles. Shifting problem went away and was still good some 40,000 miles later. Here's the new thread.

https://www.9thgencivic.com/forum/drivetrain-problems/219913-b13-code-maintenance-minder.html

#28 · (Edited)
I had my transmission fluid changed out at 32k miles for the first time...it was the first time my civic threw an A13 code at me. I was expecting the code to show up again now since my civic is at 62k miles and it's flashing the service due soon sign at me but its only showing me a B1 code...not calling for the 3 just yet which is a little surprising since it's been 30k miles.

#29 · (Edited)
I had my transmission fluid changed out at 32k miles for the first time...it was the first time my civic through an A13 code at me. I was expecting the code to show up again now since my civic is at 62k miles and it's flashing the service due soon sign at me but its only showing me a B1 code...not calling for the 3 just yet which is a little surprising since it's been 30k miles.
I did my first cvt fluid change at 46k miles after visiting the dealer for an oil change, which they suggested.
Note, no code was set for the transmission fluid change.

I had been noticing a very slight jerkiness around 30 mph (that wasn't there when it was brand new).
After I did the cvt fluid change (DIY), things were back to normal, smooth as silk.
Its a simple DIY and about $50 for the
HCF-2 Honda fluid and seal.

Just my opinion, but I would stick to your 30k schedule.

#30 ·
Got the B123 code late last week. Called the dealer to see what they charge for the fluid change - $240.

So I finally had the time to do the transmission fluid change this morning. Bought my car as a CPO with 40K miles (it now has 60K) on it and would have assumed that the dealer did the CVT fluid change much earlier - but I don't think they ever did.

When I replaced the fluid this morning, I only got a little over 2 quarts out of the transmission. When I filled it back up, it took about 3.5 (before it started spilling some out of the overflow hole). Pretty sure I don't have a leak (the underside of the pan and engine) was pretty clean - so I have to believe the dealership never checked it.

It now shifts much more smoothly than it did when I bought it.

#31 · (Edited)
I didnt wait for my MM to get the code, I changed the transmission fluid at around 35,000 miles along with the brake fluid at the Honda dealership. Both transmission and brake fluid change cost me around $180 with tax included. Most of you probably surprise why so cheap? I received emails from my dealership and coupons on a monthly basis for 15% off any service. Also, I was told by the salesman when I bought the car to install the dealership app to check for coupons so I would suggest doing that before paying premium price for getting any service done at the dealership :)

#32 ·
I went to the parts bought 4 qts of atf cost me $49. Drain and fill. The 9th gen has a filter internal not really serviceable. I do mine every 30 k. Says in manual take 3 changes to get all fluid out. I seen my reminder i just keep doing it every 30k. Got 170k on car

#34 ·
Always a good idea to replace the aluminum crush (sealing) washers when changing oil/fluids.
That said; I have reused both drain plug and fill plug washers, if they are not overly distorted or compressed.

About 15 years ago I started using a thread sealant on engine and transmission drain/fill plugs; because the manufacturer of the bike recommended using it
https://www.permatex.com/products/t...nts/permatex-high-temperature-thread-sealant/

Not only does it seal the threads it acts as a mild locking agent, so even if the plugs are not torqued to spec, they will not loosen. This has been my experience anyway; your choice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.