2012 with only 15k miles- tranny fluid/coolant/brake fluid/spark plug change needed?
  1. Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation – General discussion forum for 9th Gen Civic

Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation - a website dedicated to all things 9th Gen Civic.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join 9th Gen Civic today!

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By KDiggityDog76

Thread: 2012 with only 15k miles- tranny fluid/coolant/brake fluid/spark plug change needed?

Greenhorn

2012 with only 15k miles- tranny fluid/coolant/brake fluid/spark plug change needed?

My daughters 2012 has only 15k miles, and based on miles obviously doesn't need transmission fluid, coolant, brake fluid, or spark plugs changed. BUT it is over 3 yrs old...does that require theses services be done regardless of mileage? If you follow the owners manual service recommendations, they should be done. Seems somewhat wasteful to me. Thoughts?
    Last edited by eye.surgeon; 08-03-2015 at 07:32 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Platinum Member EffBee6fromthe209's Avatar
    What model?

Greenhorn
    2012 EX-L sedan with automatic

5. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Change the fluids on tranny and coolant.leave the plugs unless you detect bad driving or a misfire like drive

Same advice as EffBee, leave the spark plugs alone and replace the fluids and you will be fine. My plugs looked fine at 92,000 miles when I changed them out. It never hurts to change fluids every few years no matter how many miles you have driven.
    2012 Civic Si Coupe CBP

Freedom and Liberty For ALL! (some restrictions apply, must be over 18, not available in some states)

K24Z7 Crew Member #30
    High Milers Club Founding Member

Greenhorn
    Should I change the brake fluid also?

I would leave be,unless and only unless that low mileage is from hard city abuse.major stop and go traffic.then yes change it.otherwise.no.I haven't changed mine in 115k miles or nearly 3 years.

Brake fluid needs to be changed at two to three years even if it's not being used hard due to the hygroscopicity of the fluid. The moisture building up is not good for several components of the system. A fluid change is the best way to get rid of that moisture. Don't forget to get into the ABS a good bit prior to changing brake fluid.

Official K24Z7 Crew #372
    Teeps likes this.
    ~Sure you could buy an Si and leave it stock, but that would sorta be like paying for a prostitute just to talk~
    Hidden Content

Greenhorn
    What do you mean by getting into the ABS?

Brake so hard that the ABS pump actually begins to pulse. It will push old fluids out of places it's long lain dormant like Smaug.

Official K24Z7 Crew #372
    ~Sure you could buy an Si and leave it stock, but that would sorta be like paying for a prostitute just to talk~
    Hidden Content

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)