2012 Civic LX USB Adapter Cable
  1. Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation – General discussion forum for 9th Gen Civic

Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation - a website dedicated to all things 9th Gen Civic.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join 9th Gen Civic today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2012 Civic LX USB Adapter Cable

Greenhorn

2012 Civic LX USB Adapter Cable

I have a USB cable that resides inside the center arm rest. Every time I plug my phone in, the phone screen claims it's charging, but continues to lose power. I mentioned it to a friend of mine who tested it with his smartphone and had the same results (i.e., the phone continued to discharge).
    Is there a way to test the voltage output, or should I just bite the bullet and take it to the dealer?

2. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by brew3242 View Post
    I have a USB cable that resides inside the center arm rest. Every time I plug my phone in, the phone screen claims it's charging, but continues to lose power. I mentioned it to a friend of mine who tested it with his smartphone and had the same results (i.e., the phone continued to discharge).
    Is there a way to test the voltage output, or should I just bite the bullet and take it to the dealer?
    Mine did the same thing but I believe thats purely for a usb flash drive to play music or add photos to ur imid screen. I have a 12 volt adapter that allows me to use my dash cam and connect a phone charger in my 12 volt socket and it charges my S9 pretty quickly

Greenhorn
    So it's not supposed to have the necessary voltage. That makes sense based on what I'm seeing.

5. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

I keep a USB charger in the center console of my civic and its purely for charging purposes. Always charges my iPhone just fine...the other day I forgot to charge my phone in the morning while I was getting ready for work and it was at 20% when I got in the car...plugged it in and it was up to 60% by the time I got to work 50 minutes later.
    '15 4dr EX cvt MSM
    '15 4dr Accord LX CVT Black

Past cars: '01 4dr EX A/T Silver-sold
    '07 4dr Toyota Camry XLE V6 Silver-totaled

Just happen to run into this little thing and thought about this post, its 10 dollars at Oreilly. Hah.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2012 Civic LX USB Adapter Cable-15564585926234817943165936585405_1556458599420.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
    Mine did the same thing but I believe thats purely for a usb flash drive to play music or add photos to ur imid screen. I have a 12 volt adapter that allows me to use my dash cam and connect a phone charger in my 12 volt socket and it charges my S9 pretty quickly
    The USB socket in my '12 EX sedan charges my samsung phone and nuvi GBS unit with no problem.
    You know this socket is only "hot" with the key in on or acc.
    Quote Originally Posted by brew3242 View Post
    So it's not supposed to have the necessary voltage. That makes sense based on what I'm seeing.
    There is 5v dc available at the USB socket when the key is on or in accessory position...
    Go here: Hidden Content
    Because misinformation is far worse; than NO information...

Fun thing to have i guess hah.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2012 Civic LX USB Adapter Cable-15564649990677227763831925653786_1556465010713.jpg  

Greenhorn
    After unsatisfactory results with the power adapter, I switched out the USB cable with another one, and the phone is charging like a champ (going through the power adapter). So now I have a USB/110 volt power adapter. I haven't checked the built in USB coming out of the center arm rest (which I was using before I bought the power adapter) - I'll do that after I get new USB cables.

What was it my old boss at the garage told me? If you're not sure what the problem is, start by replacing the cheapest parts first. Many thanks to all who replied.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)