Oil catch can
  1. Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation – General discussion forum for 9th Gen Civic

Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation - a website dedicated to all things 9th Gen Civic.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join 9th Gen Civic today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Oil catch can

Oil catch can

I have a 2012 civic ex 1.8L. Would like to install a high end oil catch can. Who has it installed?

2. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

why? it won't do you much good.

those are mainly for direct injected engines. if i recall, you have high miles on your car. it has performed well so far without it...why mess with it?

and to answer your question, i don't know many, if any who have installed one around here.
    hiding from those who might be looking for me

POP Crew #61

2014 Black EX
    20% Global Tint
    Curt 1 1/4" receiver
    Weathertech In-channel visors

Hidden Content

I could see the good in having this on a high mileage engine, regardless if it's direct injected or not. May not be needed, but could be helpful. Eventually I'd like one on my car, I don't like the ugly mini filter on my valve cover. Let us know what you get, and where you mount it.

5. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Why not? I have had it on other cars. This car was under warnity till 150k. That is why i didnt add it. And Thought why not. Most could happen is the tank is dry whitch wont be cause my intake hose is covered in oil.
    Last edited by Killmonr; 07-01-2019 at 01:57 PM.

Greenhorn
    It's not really needed for your setup. If you were running a Forced Introduction setup like the 10 Gen Civics with Turbo's then yes I would agree that it would help but since you're running a 1.8l NA & non-Direct Injection I see no purpose for it to be honest.
    KrashFinatik likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchapalooza View Post
    It's not really needed for your setup. If you were running a Forced Introduction setup like the 10 Gen Civics with Turbo's then yes I would agree that it would help but since you're running a 1.8l NA & non-Direct Injection I see no purpose for it to be honest.

High mileage N/A port injection can get valve deposits. Im pretty sure the high oil use of my Subaru made my cat fail, if so I'm sure I can find a catch can cheaper than cost of replacing the cat.

Unless your engine is actually knocking due to knock caused by excessive oil vapor (Ive seen this in the earlier mustang 5.0 coyote motors running the ford racing tune) or your engine has direct fuel injection, catch cans are a waste of time/money imo.

I've had several cars (mostly performance) and never installed a catch can in any of them and never had an engine issue either.
    Current:
    2016 Hellcat Challenger 8-speed auto
    2019 Tesla model 3 Dual Motor Performance

Sold:
    2012 Civic Si Sedan (beater) SOLD
    2018 Challenger Scatpack 8 Speed
    2016 Camaro 2SS A8
    2015 MK7 GTI M6 (Beater)
    2014 Mustang GT auto
    2012 Mustang GT M6
    2007 Speed 3

R18 PCV system shoots oil back into your intake as the water evaporates from the oil. You can just put one of these off the PCV valve line, and you will get a lot of oil out of your intake. Also if you haven't changed that PCV valve I'd also change it out as well, mine failed at 60k.

https://www.amazon.com/Engine-Separa...a-744438617024

You can then run a catch can off the crank case vent that routes back into your intake. You need a 5/8" plug for the intake boot or else you'll have a massive vacuum leak. Crank case vent is also a 5/8" diameter. I just run a filter off my crankcase for now.

Yes i changed the pcv when i cleaned the throttle body. I noticed the oil on the hose. Well i thpught i would ask see whitch ones are good to buy. I only have one off my old charger.

Quote Originally Posted by RRCoupe View Post
    R18 PCV system shoots oil back into your intake as the water evaporates from the oil. You can just put one of these off the PCV valve line, and you will get a lot of oil out of your intake. Also if you haven't changed that PCV valve I'd also change it out as well, mine failed at 60k.

https://www.amazon.com/Engine-Separa...a-744438617024

You can then run a catch can off the crank case vent that routes back into your intake. You need a 5/8" plug for the intake boot or else you'll have a massive vacuum leak. Crank case vent is also a 5/8" diameter. I just run a filter off my crankcase for now.
    I appricate your input. I looked at link. Dkes that fit 5/8 or should i just buy a 5/8 fitting?
    Last edited by Killmonr; 07-01-2019 at 03:19 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)