Car feels loose after new tires + alignment
  1. Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation – General discussion forum for 9th Gen Civic

Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation - a website dedicated to all things 9th Gen Civic.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join 9th Gen Civic today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Car feels loose after new tires + alignment

Car feels loose after new tires + alignment

So as the subject says, I just had some tires replaced and an alignment done. Replaced BFGoodrich GForce Comp 2 A/S with Michelin Pilot Sport 3+ A/S, stock size of 215/45/17.

I knew the toe-in on my front right wheel was off before I took it in, and it was fixed. The results are below.
    Car feels loose after new tires + alignment-alignment_results.jpg

I've put around 70 miles on since, and it feels like the tires on the right side are sliding as if on ice (it's been over 100F the past few days.) It's happening at both low speeds and highway speeds and it's a bit unnerving because I feel like I'm making more corrections than before.

So far I've checked the tire pressure and the lug nuts and both were fine. Do my alignment results seem okay? I know they're now in spec.

2. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Truck? What truck?! scottyrocks's Avatar
    This will be a bit of a reach, but are the tires directional? And maybe one side has one or two wrong-way tires?

I had accidently mounted my new tires on the wrong sides, which resulted in some weird riding characteristics.

Just something to look at.
    Last edited by scottyrocks; 07-23-2019 at 05:57 AM.
    'Three pedals or bust!'
    'Come for the cars. Stay for the people.'
    'Part of having the right to free speech is knowing when to not exercise it.'
    ‘Say what you mean, mean what you say, but don’t say it mean.’
    9th Gen Civic POP Crew #6 Hidden Content
    9th Gen Civic LI Crew#1 Hidden Content

I wonder if the slight toe out in the front is causing the issue? Zero or slightly toed in could help the car track better?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

5. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Don't know about the OPs tires, but my Continental Extreme Contacts (summer only tire) were pretty slippery for several heat cycles. The very first drive at 80F, they were no better than all seasons. I never had tires on a car that needed heat cycles.
    Side note, also recently learned there's a break in for brakes too. 20 years of maintaining my cars, never realized my brakes needed broke in...if I didn't have the Continentals there'd be alot of parts in the for sale section.

Nooblets
    Alignment sheet looks right. However, was the steering wheel centered when they did it? If not, that may attribute to pulling right and multiple corrections.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2015 FB6 DBP Si

Hidden Content

Nooblets
    First, you should go back to the original place where you did an alignment and tell them about your problems. Hopefully they can fix the issue and please keep us updated
    2015 HONDA CIVIC SEDAN LX AUTO
    MODERN STEEL METALLIC

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)