Is this a transmission leak?
  1. Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation – General discussion forum for 9th Gen Civic

Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation - a website dedicated to all things 9th Gen Civic.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join 9th Gen Civic today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is this a transmission leak?

Greenhorn

Is this a transmission leak?

LONG story short. My 2012 Civic was recently rear-ended at high speed and the car is a total loss. Miss it dearly. Progressive did a total loss valuation and identified both "obvious" engine and transmission leaks that I was unaware of. I can't argue the engine oil leak-- they sent pics of what looks like leaking oil from a head gasket crack. However they only sent one picture of the "transmission leak" (attached). I highly doubt the transmission leak and they aren't providing anything beyond this one picture. Because of these two points they greatly lowered their total loss value payout amount, so I just want to verify it's legit.

First, they claim this picture is of the "transmission case". (A) is that true? Sorry I am not a car wizard. And (B) does that look like a transmission fluid leak, or just engine oil that has covered the transmission components? Trying to see if this is really a transmission leak or just engine oil covering the transmission and, in that case, I want to argue that point.

Thanks very much.

Is this a transmission leak?-transmissionleak.jpg (hopefully it's big enough of a pic)

2. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

I don't know what I'm looking at in that photo.
    Also here's a thought, how do you know the photo is of YOUR car?

Sounds like BS to me. Tell them your neck and back hurts now...
    What does the engine/trans have to do with relative value of the vehicle, as it relates to car being totaled?
    Is this your insurance co?

Related to the "leak" excuse did the car leave spots on the floor when parked overnight?
    If not, then it's not a leak, in my book.
    Go here: Hidden Content
    Because misinformation is far worse; than NO information...

Greenhorn
    Quote Originally Posted by Teeps View Post
    I don't know what I'm looking at in that photo.
    Also here's a thought, how do you know the photo is of YOUR car?

Sounds like BS to me. Tell them your neck and back hurts now...
    What does the engine/trans have to do with relative value of the vehicle, as it relates to car being totaled?
    Is this your insurance co?

Related to the "leak" excuse did the car leave spots on the floor when parked overnight?
    If not, then it's not a leak, in my book.
    Thanks for the reply. According to them that is a picture of underneath the front of the Civic, looking up at the transmission. It definitely looks like the bottom of the transmission viewed from underneath the car from some videos I've seen, but the question now is whether that's even transmission fluid or if it's engine oil.

I do think it is my car since other pictures they've sent from further away / different angles all match my car, including some showing oil leak staining. I just am really doubting that the tranny is leaking.

Even though the other driver is at fault, this is through my insurance (they will be billing the other driver's insurance ultimately) because he had some cheap-o insurance I've never heard of that didn't even have a website. My insurance (Progressive) is totaling it but they still only want to pay on the "pre-accident" value immediately prior to the accident. Thus why they are deducting for this stuff, to lower their payout, even though they're getting reimbursed.

P.S. never saw any staining on the ground where I parked so even further evidence my tranny wasn't leaking. Engine oil, likely, given that is IS on the engine block in a pretty significant amount.

5. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Greenhorn
    Yes, that is the transmission, and it could be transmission fluid. You would have to find the source to be sure. That's a douchey move on the part of Progressive. You might solicit the help of a lawyer to go over the details of your policy and the law in your state. If it says you are entitled to a "vehicle of equal value" you might be able to argue that they have to find another civic of the same trim and mileage, with the same APPEARANCE of a leak, and give you that value. And you might ask if you've been overpaying; I'm sure your premiums are not discounted for the condition of the engine, transmission, paint, interior, tires, etc.

As to the leaking head gasket and the appearance of that much coming down the block and transmission: What the hell? How many miles do you have? My '12 with 111k miles has no leaks.
    Last edited by Paulcet; 08-14-2019 at 06:45 PM.

I have to agree with Paulcet that's a douchy move by Progressive. Also only giving 1 photo of the claimed tranny leak. Can you be certain it's not engine oil extended from the other leak?
    How long have you had the leak & how much was leaking before being hit?
    Can you get the help of a trusty mechanic to go with you to look at the car?

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by njburrito View Post
    P.S. never saw any staining on the ground where I parked so even further evidence my tranny wasn't leaking. Engine oil, likely, given that is IS on the engine block in a pretty significant amount.
    If there is no fluid spots on the floor.
    And you do not have to continually add fluids between changes.
    There IS NO LEAK...
    Go here: Hidden Content
    Because misinformation is far worse; than NO information...

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)