Battery / Charging problems
  1. Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation – General discussion forum for 9th Gen Civic

Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation - a website dedicated to all things 9th Gen Civic.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join 9th Gen Civic today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Battery / Charging problems

Greenhorn

Battery / Charging problems

I have a 2013 Si Sedan, 3,303 miles on it. My wife's 2013 Accord with everything on it, has no battery problems at all at about 25,000 miles. I've had my car for about 2.5 months and the battery is slowly discharging until it almost dies. The car is completely stock, no extra nothing. I don't charge my phone in the car and I only run a GPS in the outlet when I'm on a very long drive (100's of miles). The battery charger has had to been on the battery for hours at a time. I have tried to check for parasitic draw, but watching Youtube have discovered that with newer cars it's not easy anymore. So, I tried a straightforward test tonight. Multimeter on the battery, start the car - rev it up. At about 3000 - 3800 the meter is reading just over 12.7 volts - really? If I turn EVERYTHING on (A/C, all lights, fan on High), then the car starts to charge. It seems like this car's smart charging system is pretty not smart. I've never owned a car that killed it's own battery. Can someone give a hand before I head to the dealership? Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

I would definately go to the dealership. We've been victims.
    ***08/08/11 - I got my 2012 Rally Red Honda Civic Si Sedan.Hidden Content ***

*2nd 9thGenCivic.Com Member with a 2012 Rally Red Honda Civic Si Sedan.* 1st is 67cougar.

- 2012 Rally Red Honda Civic Si Sedan (Current)
    - 2003 Satin Silver Metallic Honda Civic Si Hatchback (Sold)
    - 1994 Pard Blue Green Pearl Acura Integra GSR Coupe (Stolen/Totaled)
    - 1992 Super White Toyota Corolla DX Sedan (Totaled)

Quote Originally Posted by T_Virus View Post
    I would definately go to the dealership. We've been victims.
    Of what?

vic·tim noun \ˈvik-təm\

: a person who has been attacked, injured, robbed, or killed by someone else
    : a person who is cheated or fooled by someone else
    Go here: Hidden Content
    Because misinformation is far worse; than NO information...

5. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

In your terms, we've been robbed and cheated from Honda's bad oem batteries.

Best to get it replaced under warranty.
    ***08/08/11 - I got my 2012 Rally Red Honda Civic Si Sedan.Hidden Content ***

*2nd 9thGenCivic.Com Member with a 2012 Rally Red Honda Civic Si Sedan.* 1st is 67cougar.

- 2012 Rally Red Honda Civic Si Sedan (Current)
    - 2003 Satin Silver Metallic Honda Civic Si Hatchback (Sold)
    - 1994 Pard Blue Green Pearl Acura Integra GSR Coupe (Stolen/Totaled)
    - 1992 Super White Toyota Corolla DX Sedan (Totaled)

Greenhorn
    Yeah, that's what I'm beginning to hear. The battery is made by Johnson Controls who makes a majority of the batteries on the market. I am surprised to hear that the OEM battery might not be very good. I think I am laying blame on Honda's "smart" charging system that tries to not charge the battery at light loads. I'm not sure if the old liquid filled lead/acid batteries are capable of understanding. Anyway, to have such a stupid problem so early on in ownership is frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by jsannes View Post
    Yeah, that's what I'm beginning to hear. The battery is made by Johnson Controls who makes a majority of the batteries on the market. I am surprised to hear that the OEM battery might not be very good. I think I am laying blame on Honda's "smart" charging system that tries to not charge the battery at light loads. I'm not sure if the old liquid filled lead/acid batteries are capable of understanding. Anyway, to have such a stupid problem so early on in ownership is frustrating.

JCI are hit an miss, some good and others are crap, depends a lot on where they are made. My Si is 2 years old and no issues, haven't tested the battery yet but I should probably test it now that it's on my mind. I work in the car battery business so I can get East Penn (Deka) real cheap and will switch to that once mine is starting to die.

I would go to the dealer and get it tested, that way you know if it's just a battery issue and not a drain/charging system problem.
    K24Z7 Member #140
    9th Gen Pop crew #4
    2012 CBP Si
    Hidden Content

Greenhorn
    Thanks for the Info on JCI. I was not aware of their spotty reputation, though +1 on "where they're made." I did decide to take it to a dealership where they can play dueling computers (a game that I'm just not equipped for.) Hey what do you think about the Odyssey batteries?? Thanks.

Greenhorn
    Just quick note: Took my car in to the dealership where they told me that they couldn't find anything wrong. Bring the car back when the battery is dead - they told me. Gee, thanks a lot.

They usually test battery on the GR8, they pretty much listen to results no matter what. I posted my experience probably in the other thread you replied too, but took about 5 tests and having the car park dead in their drive way to actually get them to actually work on it to get me out of the way. Which turned out a bad cell in the battery. My car would die pretty much after a good 8-15 cranks with no headlights running, I have a SI by the way. Usually normal civics are a lot better, I had my wife used my other battery to confirm issues, it ran pretty well on hers for awhile till it literally died one day while driving which confirms suspicion. I have a 2012 civic SI and she has a 2013 EX-L. So I assume they have better charging or lower cranks than SI. I'm not sure how these honda batteries pass, but they can pass a crank test and everything yet still be bad. Check the eye too on battery, should be a decent light green, not dark hulk green like.

As long as you get a good solid 14 volts with headlights on I would presume alternator would be okay and most likely battery. Your car however is still new so battery is covered 3 years as long as you're not past 36k. Mileage warranty on battery is dumb I think, but now your problem is fighting with the dealership. I would just keep going or be proactive and see if you can talk to a manager about it because a dead car brand new is not something you have to deal with.

Greenhorn
    Yeah, I went ahead and took your advice. I bought an Optima yellow top battery, but there seems to be something running on the car every night (like around midnight or so). So when I check the voltage on that battery when I stop the car and the battery voltage in the early morning just before I go to work - it's always lower in the morning than it was the night before also. Anyway, I have to say that I really miss the Mazda right about now.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)