Cheapest DIY intake I've seen.
  1. Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation – General discussion forum for 9th Gen Civic

Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation - a website dedicated to all things 9th Gen Civic.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join 9th Gen Civic today!

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By mvance30
  • 1 Post By Civi9

Thread: Cheapest DIY intake I've seen.

Nooblets

Cheapest DIY intake I've seen.

I've been toying with getting an intake for my SI for awhile now but honestly although I could afford the $350 for a new one, I don't feel justified spending that kind of money when really besides the noise, they're pointless and even show on some dynos to make you lose a bit of HP (without a tune). So browsing all the DIY threads on here I saw a lot of good choices. But they still involved spending a decent amount of money.

I bought a whole stock intake from a friend who upgraded his on his car. Cost me $25 bucks.

I did this.
    http://i.imgur.com/uom0nrb.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/WBJSukD.jpg

(for whatever reason I cant embed these images)

I have to fab up a bracket and shave down some parts a little more but besides that it does its job well. Above 4k and especially when in VTEC it sounds great, cant notice a difference it or any other intake only 9th gen i've heard. Also looking at the intake temps I don't notice much if at all of a temp change of the air. Granted I've only tested it for 20-30 minutes and its pretty cool out right now. I'll datalog on my 30 mile commute tomorrow and make sure.

short clip of it. not the best Mic since its from my dash cam but you get the idea.

https://youtu.be/h16Lkxdq_tM
    Last edited by mvance30; 03-27-2016 at 11:12 AM.
    Stigmacher and mreggball like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

You will be experiencing a lot of heat soak with that set up. The intake is just going to be sucking in hot air the whole time. Might not be as bad depending on the climate where you are but here in Hawaii where temps never really drop below 60 degrees there would be a noticeable difference. Just my 2 cents.
    2016 Focus ST. All stock except Exhaust Resonator Delete.

2012 CBP Si Sedan. SOLD.

Invidia Q300 Catback Exhaust, Rv6 Catted DP, Takeda Momentum Cold Air Intake.
    Tein Street Advance Coilovers, D2S 3.0 Projectors 6000k.

Nooblets
    I figured as much but my data scanner isn't showing higher temps.

Also besides a heat shield, what would cause this set up to be any worse than a proper CAI?

5. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

The way you have it set up is like an SRI. You could make it more like a CAI if you ran some aluminum tubing where you have the filter, down behind the drivers side foglight. You need to remove the resonator to do this.

Cheapest DIY intake I've seen.-image.jpg
    Last edited by Civi9; 03-28-2016 at 08:07 AM.
    mvance30 likes this.
    K24Z7 CREW # 61719 (2012 Taffy Si Coupe)
    CTE supercharger w/3.6", stock belt
    DW 750CC injectors w/PNP clips.
    Vit Tuned with Flashpro
    AEM CAI
    Ceramic coated RV6 catted DP
    Hasport 62A RMM and Upper mount
    Enkei RPF1's 17x9 + 45 (3mm front spacers)
    Continental Extreme Contact Sport Summer tires 245/40-17
    Hybrid Racing shifter and cable bushings
    Buddy Club Sport Spec Coilovers

14' OEM 20mm Rear Sway Bar
    Ultra Racing 3 point Trunk Brace
    FKX Racing Rear Strut bar

Nooblets
    Quote Originally Posted by Civi9 View Post
    The way you have it set up is like an SRI. You could make it more like a CAI if you ran some aluminum tubing where you have the filter, down behind the drivers side foglight. You need to remove the resonator to do this.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	149.8 KB 
ID:	401345
    sorry I did know that just had a brain fart. I'm not sure if I trust taking air in from down there. I know plenty of people who haven't had any issues but I did notice when I took my panel filter out (12k on the car) there was a decent amount of crud built it from the inlet side coming from down there. Theres no oil and crud in my intake pipe so I'm not sure whats going on with that. When I take out the rest of the piping I'll take a look.

I bought the AEM CAI, which should be coming in today. I'm switching from my current K&N intake to the true CAI. I love my K&N, but plan to supercharge with CTE kit, so need a true CAI for that setup.

I understand your reservation about where the filter will be located, but AEM and PRL both have their filters sitting there. It seems to be the best place for a true cold air intake filter to sit. I plan on using a hydro shield for my filter, as well as closing off the holes in the underbody panels.
    K24Z7 CREW # 61719 (2012 Taffy Si Coupe)
    CTE supercharger w/3.6", stock belt
    DW 750CC injectors w/PNP clips.
    Vit Tuned with Flashpro
    AEM CAI
    Ceramic coated RV6 catted DP
    Hasport 62A RMM and Upper mount
    Enkei RPF1's 17x9 + 45 (3mm front spacers)
    Continental Extreme Contact Sport Summer tires 245/40-17
    Hybrid Racing shifter and cable bushings
    Buddy Club Sport Spec Coilovers

14' OEM 20mm Rear Sway Bar
    Ultra Racing 3 point Trunk Brace
    FKX Racing Rear Strut bar

Myx
    Big Timer!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by mvance30 View Post
    I figured as much but my data scanner isn't showing higher temps.

Also besides a heat shield, what would cause this set up to be any worse than a proper CAI?
    If your scanner is not showing higher temps than stock then you are golden. Great job! And it sounds great. Thanks for sharing.
    What are you looking at for a scanner? Torque app?
    Kevin
    2015 Honda Fit LX CVT
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Nooblets
    Quote Originally Posted by Myx View Post
    If your scanner is not showing higher temps than stock then you are golden. Great job! And it sounds great. Thanks for sharing.
    What are you looking at for a scanner? Torque app?
    Docooler New Version V1.5 OBDII OBD2 Bluetooth Car Diagnostic Interface Scanner
    with torque app.

Nooblets
    Quote Originally Posted by Civi9 View Post
    I bought the AEM CAI, which should be coming in today. I'm switching from my current K&N intake to the true CAI. I love my K&N, but plan to supercharge with CTE kit, so need a true CAI for that setup.

I understand your reservation about where the filter will be located, but AEM and PRL both have their filters sitting there. It seems to be the best place for a true cold air intake filter to sit. I plan on using a hydro shield for my filter, as well as closing off the holes in the underbody panels.

Cheapest DIY intake I've seen.-12931016_10156714742420006_7428739555356800245_n.jpg

This is what I was talking about. 12k miles on the filter and it looks like this? Its a little concerning considering I've changed two filters in other cars last month one with 36k on it and one with 74k on it (yea I know smh) and both were dirty equally across the filter and had less dirt.

Greenhorn
    I know this thread is old but. Thanks. Will be using this idea.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)