Cruise control cuts out
  1. Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation – General discussion forum for 9th Gen Civic

Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation - a website dedicated to all things 9th Gen Civic.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join 9th Gen Civic today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cruise control cuts out

Greenhorn

Cruise control cuts out

Every so often I'll be cruising down the highway and the cruise control will cut out speed drops and then comes back. Anyone else experience that?
    '13 Civic Si Sedan - daily/family car
    '03 Acura RSX-S - track car

2. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Greenhorn
    Can this thread be revived???

I am having the same issue. Could it be a bad "set / resume" button?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Truck? What truck?! scottyrocks's Avatar
    Yes, the thread can be revived. In fact, it is preferred over starting new threads for the same issues.

Yes, it could be the button. But the only way to diagnose electrical issues is to test each component.
    'Three pedals or bust!'
    'Come for the cars. Stay for the people.'
    'Part of having the right to free speech is knowing when to not exercise it.'
    ‘Say what you mean, mean what you say, but don’t say it mean.’
    9th Gen Civic POP Crew #6 Hidden Content
    9th Gen Civic LI Crew#1 Hidden Content

5. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Easiest way to diagnose the problem, is to drive the car with the HDS connected and take a diagnostic snap shot when the problem occurs.
    Go here: Hidden Content
    Because misinformation is far worse; than NO information...

Greenhorn
    Unfortunately, I don't have any diagnostic tools. This doesn't seem to be a very common problem, but what I have found seems to point to a bad clutch switch. The switch is possible engaging somehow and cancelling the cruise.

Quote Originally Posted by ASM5150 View Post
    Unfortunately, I don't have any diagnostic tools. This doesn't seem to be a very common problem, but what I have found seems to point to a bad clutch switch. The switch is possible engaging somehow and cancelling the cruise.
    The clutch and brake switches can only cancel the cruise control after a speed has been set.
    A faulty input from either switch cannot reset the cruise control speed.

What year and model Civic?
    Do you have any electrical mods?
    When did the problem start? days or weeks ago?
    Are the tail/brake lights working properly?

Intermittent problems are difficult to diagnose.
    Unless there is a symptom pattern failure. In that case your local dealer may know exactly what is wrong; have you called the dealer and inquired about the problem?

I have the same issue with my 2003 Honda accord. I replaced the brake sensor and that fixed it. I'm not sure for the civics tho, I dont have that problem with my SI.
    2012 Civic Si Coupe DBP
    2001 Honda Accord Coupe Blue

Greenhorn
    Quote Originally Posted by Teeps View Post
    The clutch and brake switches can only cancel the cruise control after a speed has been set.
    A faulty input from either switch cannot reset the cruise control speed.

What year and model Civic?
    Do you have any electrical mods?
    When did the problem start? days or weeks ago?
    Are the tail/brake lights working properly?

Intermittent problems are difficult to diagnose.
    Unless there is a symptom pattern failure. In that case your local dealer may know exactly what is wrong; have you called the dealer and inquired about the problem?
    It's a '13 Civic Si that is completely stock. The taillights work with no issues as far as I know. I first noticed this a couple month's ago. It's a very intermittent problem, although it does seem to happen more when the car goes over rough patches of highway.

Quote Originally Posted by ASM5150 View Post
    It's a '13 Civic Si that is completely stock. The taillights work with no issues as far as I know. I first noticed this a couple month's ago. It's a very intermittent problem, although it does seem to happen more when the car goes over rough patches of highway.
    Intermittent problems are difficult and frustrating for both you and the dealer Tech trying to diagnose it.
    You can throw parts at the problem based on educated guessing: brake and clutch pedal position switches, the main set/resume/cancel switch, etc... but that will get expensive quick.

Are you positive the cruise control cancels, then resets without an input from you?

You mention the problem occurs on rough roads. How repeatable is the problem under rough road conditions?

Quote Originally Posted by Teeps View Post
    Intermittent problems are difficult and frustrating for both you and the dealer Tech trying to diagnose it.
    You can throw parts at the problem based on educated guessing: brake and clutch pedal position switches, the main set/resume/cancel switch, etc... but that will get expensive quick.

Are you positive the cruise control cancels, then resets without an input from you?

You mention the problem occurs on rough roads. How repeatable is the problem under rough road conditions?
    If I had to guess, I would check the ABS sensors. If they were tugged on when changing brakes, they might be the cause. This would usually prompt an ABS light on the dash though.
    Are there any CEL/ABS lights to help diagnose the issue? Also are you going above 35 mph when attempting to set CC? (I didn't read the old posts, so pardon me if this is a broken record).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)